Candy worthy of a metal-head....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
While this isn't the most masculine post I will ever make, maybe someone will get something out of it. On Valentines Day, it is generally a bit of a role reversal for me, as I love dark chocolates and I usually get a nice big heart-shaped box of chocolates from my wonderful wife. I am sure it helps my beer-belly immensely >:p~ Anyway, this year was no different, but she also bought me a "bag" of the Ghirardelli squares. I have tried a couple of flavors of them before and they were pretty good, but nothing that absolutely wowed me. However, the bag my wife bought me was one of those variety bags and it had some milk chocolate/caramel squares in it, among others. Being more of a dark chocolate fan and a fan of the more exotic fillings, I thought little of the milk chocolate and caramel square...... until I put one in my mouth. I am certainly far from a chocolate connoisseur, but damned if that wasn't simply an awesome piece of candy. I highly recommend trying it if you are aimlessly wandering down the candy aisle with a sweet tooth and can't decide on the right fill.....

Bryant

Godiva chocolates ftw.

I love Ghirardelli though. It's really tasty. I bought Al some 80% dark chocolate from them when one of their store locations was closing up shop. I got a whole case of it for like, $20. Sweet deal for an entire case of otherwise expensive chocolate.

However, the BEST chocolate I ever had was from the many chocolatiers in the chocolate hall in Herrod's, in London.

I'm a dark chocolate fiend, but my tastes aren't as sophisticated I guess. My usual favorite are the little red bars from Trader Joe's. No idea who makes it for them...always a secret. I did have some mighty fine chocolate in Germany though. I wish I had brought more of it back. About half my backpack was filled. I should have just checked a large box. By the time I handed a lot of gifts out, I wasn't left with much...

I'm down for some good gourmet chocolate, and NYC has some great, mindblowing shops for that. But at the end of the day, you're a liar and a fiend if you can't get down with a Hershey Bar and claim to like chocolate. Let's be real brahs.

I'm a dark chocolate person, too!! I have 99% squares. They take some getting used to, but if you let it melt in your mouth.. amazing. Another favorite is dark chocolate with hot pepper. It's unusually good! The pepper comes toward the end, so it's just a little sweet and spicy.

I actually can't do milk chocolate, like, Hershey bars or Kisses. They're just too sweet for me.

I much prefer dark chocolate - 60-70% - and will only eat milk chocolate as long as it's not the cheap stuff. I'm okay with Sees, Ghirardelli, Guylian, Lindt etc, but I also like the more uncommon/European varieties:

Lake Champlain - Fruit & Nut, Caramel
Chuao - Panko (my current favorite)
Rittersport - Rum Raisin, Hazelnut
Milka
Halloren (I just saw that they have a limoncello liquor cream chocolate - ooh!)
Droste

I bought a ton of the cheap chocolate bars in Germany, the kind that are only like 80c a stick (might have been Schwermer, but I cannot remember for sure), and brought it back to work with me. Everyone declared it was the best chocolate they'd ever had. I refrained from telling them they'd probably had very little REAL chocolate, as opposed to that oily crap that Hershey and Nestle puts out....

Freia's Melkesjokolade from Norway will make you forget every sexual need of yours. That is imo the best chocolate there is, period.

If you ever want to try one of the best artisan-style chocolate in the country, look up Connecticut's own Bridgewater Chocolate. It's pricey, yes, but soooo good!!

In Spain, we sometimes eat hot chocolate for breakfast. Their version is like a very thick hot dark chocolate pudding. You dip toast and bread sticks in it. Then you pass out from a food coma.

stl.JPG

One thing that is for certain is that whenever the OCI is in the room, the ladies are definitely showing their preference for the white chocolate, if you know what I'm trying to say, oh yes. 170 lbs of muscle-y German silk, oh yes. I'm just blue cause I'm icy, check my wrist and you'll see, check my neck and you'll see.

But at the end of the day, you're a liar and a fiend if you can't get down with a Hershey Bar and claim to like chocolate. Let's be real brahs.

I really can't. Hersheys is like eating wax.

I'm down with a Snickers bar if hungry, and I can mow through a bag of M&Ms, but I can't do those Hershey bars, kisses, whatever. Even the Special Dark isn't really that great. Even Walmart sells better dark chocolate than that now.

I hate dark chocolate. My favorite is white chocolate.

Agreed...and not being a "serious" connoisseur, I settle for Hershey's Cookies and Cream (or Cadbury's Fruit and Nut) on the rare occasions -- like earlier tonight -- when I buy a wee bit o' candy for myself.

I really can't. Hersheys is like eating wax.

I'm down with a Snickers bar if hungry, and I can mow through a bag of M&Ms, but I can't do those Hershey bars, kisses, whatever.

I've found that I don't enjoy just regular milk chocolate these days, but prefer a mashup like Snickers or Milky Way.

Solid white chocolate tastes like wax. I'll occasionally put up with it as a syrup in foofy flavored coffee, but that's it.