Cannot get decent sound with impulses

Kingliar

Jun 17, 2006
Hello all,

Whatever I try, I cannot get a decent guitarsound with impulses. Everything sound so boomy and distorted (in a bad way).

I use the Mesa rectifier recording pre-amp (via FX send) straight into the Factory 003. It both has DI and Line inputs...wich should I use?

Chain : Gibson Menace-->Mesa Rec Pre-->Factory 003-->TL Space or waves IR-L with cartharsis impulses.
I also tried a Marshall JCM 2000.....same problem

Nothing comes even close with some of the guitar sounds I've heard on this forum...

Someone ?

Yeah, I've been getting this problem too, albeit with my POD and using impulses.
I still haven't totally got around the problem yet, but part of it is just EQ-ing to match the impulse. I assume you already tried more than one impulse response already.
Other than that I don't really know.

Do I understand correctly that basicly what he says is, that you (I) cannot use the pre-amp with impulses, unless they are made with/thru the powersection of a (dual) rectifier???

I find that very difficult to believe...

More thoughts?

I dunno, I'd imagine you could still get a good sound out of a Rectifier Pre through an impulse made with another power amp, it just probably won't particularly have the Rectifier sound. Got any clips of what you've got thus far?

You could always try using another impulse loader, Boogex is free and it couldn't be easier to use

+1 on boogex. there's plenty of impulse loaders made specifically for cab emulation, and not just general convolution reverbs. the best clips on this forum that you've heard (and my best results, although i've never tried a poweramp) is just from using a chain of TSS > ampsim > boogex. if you have a real recto, why not just mic it up?? or track DI and re-amp. your 003 is more than capable.

I dunno, I'd imagine you could still get a good sound out of a Rectifier Pre through an impulse made with another power amp, it just probably won't particularly have the Rectifier sound. Got any clips of what you've got thus far?

I'll try to put up a clip later...

+1 on boogex. there's plenty of impulse loaders made specifically for cab emulation, and not just general convolution reverbs. the best clips on this forum that you've heard (and my best results, although i've never tried a poweramp) is just from using a chain of TSS > ampsim > boogex. if you have a real recto, why not just mic it up?? or track DI and re-amp. your 003 is more than capable.

Altough Voxengo states on their website their's an Mac OS X au version, I can't seem to find it.
Normally I just mic the cab...no problems there...but I wanted to try the impulse thingy because I heard such good results....

if you can get good results just micing the cab then i say keep doing that,,, i have tried the same thing you are doing , my mesa as preamp into boogex with s=pres high, and i agree it is pretty hard to get amazing results, it also sounds like it could use a TS or somthing , or try the solo c as a booster to your mesa for some more balls ..