Can't be a metal forum without talking about.......

Metallica is obviously very popular, and are respected by most throughout the music industry. Geezer even dedicated his award to Cliff Burton, Sabbath loves Metallica, Metallica loves Sabbath. Both are legendary bands and it was cool to see metallica perform Sabbath songs. I thought they did a good job with it, kicked some ass. Metallica are better musicians than what they get credited for.

Judas Priest can't hold a candle to Metallica, and even Priest would tell you that.

Base Delta Zero said:
They've actually been turning it down for years because it had nothing to do with the fans. I wonder why they decided to accept it finally.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i dunno... i mean, priest did get, both figuratively and literally, much gayer than metallica ever has been.

the worst shit metallica can be called out on is covering a bob seger song and maybe that crap they did for the MI2 soundtrack...

but mid-late-80s priest = pure ass sex (w/men).

Gayness is a given in such a topic. *cough*

But in terms of musicianship, and in terms of what they're doing today, Priest win it hands down.

Base Delta Zero said:
Haven't you ever seen old Metallica in the 'classic rock' sections in CD stores? I have (and believe me, I felt really old). Hell, we have a classic rock station where I live that plays old-school Metallica all the time. That's the public - like it or not.

And hell with Priest and Metallica, I'd rather see some super-group headed by Al Jourgenson doing Sabbath covers - but that's just my opinion...

No I never seen Metallica in classic Rock sections in CD stores.. but then again there is no Classic Rock sections in my neck of the woods.. just "rock" which they put everyone in including Death metal bands.. but yes about the Classic Rock stations here playing them.. they even have Metallica Monday's on 104.3 in NY area... so basically your saying they are no longer metal.. just classic rock? lol ... :Smug:

metalnate83 said:
Metallica is obviously very popular, and are respected by most throughout the music industry. Geezer even dedicated his award to Cliff Burton, Sabbath loves Metallica, Metallica loves Sabbath. Both are legendary bands and it was cool to see metallica perform Sabbath songs. I thought they did a good job with it, kicked some ass. Metallica are better musicians than what they get credited for.

Judas Priest can't hold a candle to Metallica, and even Priest would tell you that.

Ozzy broke in Metallica back in 1986 (Master of Puppets tour).. so there is a bond there... at the time Metallica albums weren't marketed by videos, radio play etc... so Ozzy took a chance and had them open for his Ultimate Sin tour.... they got great exposure through that tour and alot of new fans me included... Metallica would even admit this about that tour doing that for them... as for musicians... i never said they weren't good on their instruments though people do criticize Lars drum playing.. I never had a problem with his playing... as for the whole Priest/Metallica candle statement.... Metallica worship Priest as much as they worshipped Sabbath... so neither one would say such comments... they don't have petty squabbles like we do on these boards... with the exception of Ozzy/Sharon and Maiden.. Priest has alot more classic albums and material then Metallica ever did or will ... don't get me wrong.... i think Metallica does good Sabbath covers but would like to have heard Priest instead because Rob had sang for Sabbath in a few concerts.. i have it on CD... he did a good job... but like someone already mentioned it.. this was done for ratings and $$$ not because of mutual respect because Metallica has none nowadays (they are not respected much anymore in the music industry with the exceptions of the labels they make $$ for... that comment you made is just your opinion)... but oh well this shit passed and it's done and over with... let's see if either band tries to profit from it especially Metallica (would not be surprised if a Sabbath cover will be on their next album) ...

Teh Grimarse said:
i dunno... i mean, priest did get, both figuratively and literally, much gayer than metallica ever has been.

the worst shit metallica can be called out on is covering a bob seger song and maybe that crap they did for the MI2 soundtrack...

but mid-late-80s priest = pure ass sex (w/men).

Using gayness figuratively to describe music is fucking gratingly annoying. Who's to say Metallica wouldn't laugh in the face of someone telling them they were better than Priest the same way those Agalloch guys laughed when people said they were better than Bathory? It's all a matter of opinion.

I don't know, I personally like Creeping Death and Disposable Heroes better than Breaking the Law and You Got Another Thing Commin........and so on and so on and so on and so on. Lets get real, Metallica has put out alot better music, and is overall better musicains. They put on their fucking hooded sweatshirt and jeans and fucking still kick major ass live today. That to me is alot cooler than a gay man wearing on a full on leather suit in 2006. I respect Priest, I like them, but to even debate this is a bit ridiculous.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Ozzy broke in Metallica back in 1986 (Master of Puppets tour).. so there is a bond there... at the time Metallica albums weren't marketed by videos, radio play etc... so Ozzy took a chance and had them open for his Ultimate Sin tour.... they got great exposure through that tour and alot of new fans me included... Metallica would even admit this about that tour doing that for them... as for musicians... i never said they weren't good on their instruments though people do criticize Lars drum playing.. I never had a problem with his playing... as for the whole Priest/Metallica candle statement.... Metallica worship Priest as much as they worshipped Sabbath... so neither one would say such comments... they don't have petty squabbles like we do on these boards... with the exception of Ozzy/Sharon and Maiden.. Priest has alot more classic albums and material then Metallica ever did or will ... don't get me wrong.... i think Metallica does good Sabbath covers but would like to have heard Priest instead because Rob had sang for Sabbath in a few concerts.. i have it on CD... he did a good job... but like someone already mentioned it.. this was done for ratings and $$$ not because of mutual respect because Metallica has none nowadays (they are not respected much anymore in the music industry with the exceptions of the labels they make $$ for... that comment you made is just your opinion)... but oh well this shit passed and it's done and over with... let's see if either band tries to profit from it especially Metallica (would not be surprised if a Sabbath cover will be on their next album) ...

How do you know they aren't respected? Of course Metallica is respected in the music industry, why wouldn't they be?

the first 3 or 4 albums by them were great. after that you can't put a light to Priest discography... as for respected in the music industry... like i said they are respected by the music labels they make $$ more and for the pop bands/artists that did cover songs of theirs like Avril Lavigne etc.. but you do not hear much respect from metal bands for Metallica nowadays.... hell hardly any metal bands if any want to open for them anymore... what band opened for them in South Africa recently...?? Collective Soul among other sucky bands that aren't metal... thats not much respect in my book... almost everyone would jump at the chance to play with priest or open for them... but not many bands would for Metallica nowadays... respect for their early career yes... respect for their most recent past, present and future... NO.... respect is not about how much $$ you make , its about what you put out, what you do in your career etc..

Base Delta Zero said:
They've actually been turning it down for years because it had nothing to do with the fans. I wonder why they decided to accept it finally.

No, they haven't been "turning it down for years", they been eligible to be in the Hall of Fame for years but haven't gotten in for whatever reasons know only to the Hall of Fame itself. Ozzy had said that he didn't care about it one way or the other and even that they should take Sabbath's name of the ballots but he (or the rest of Sabbath) never said he/they would turn it down if they got picked.

Having said that I agree with most of the posts here in the sense that it's a pretty meaningless "honor". Everybody who knows the first thing about hard rock/metal knows the legacy of Black Sabbath. :worship:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
the first 3 or 4 albums by them were great. after that you can't put a light to Priest discography... as for respected in the music industry... like i said they are respected by the music labels they make $$ more and for the pop bands/artists that did cover songs of theirs like Avril Lavigne etc.. but you do not hear much respect from metal bands for Metallica nowadays.... hell hardly any metal bands if any want to open for them anymore... what band opened for them in South Africa recently...?? Collective Soul among other sucky bands that aren't metal... thats not much respect in my book... almost everyone would jump at the chance to play with priest or open for them... but not many bands would for Metallica nowadays... respect for their early career yes... respect for their most recent past, present and future... NO.... respect is not about how much $$ you make , its about what you put out, what you do in your career etc..

You are wrong on many levels. South Africa asked them to headline their festival and they thought it would be a cool idea. Who gives a shit who opens for them in a festival. I was watching a VH-1 concert with a bunch of bands......I can't remember for what. Sum 41 was playing and Priest comes on there and plays with them. Why don't they get shit for that? Metallica has never done something like that. Priest later on in the concert said Sum 41 is going to be the next best thing in METAL!!! I laughed my ass off. Why don't they get badgered for comments like that? I tell you why because no one gives a shit about Priest anymore and they haven't for 20 years. Metallica's efforts have been bad lately but they are still asked to headline festivals around the world......THAT IS RESPECT!!! You don't see Priest headlining several 50-60,000 seat stadiums around the globe. Yes Collective Soul was there but Metallica had no imput on who was going to open for them there.......who gives a shit who the fuck opens for anyone. Mudvayne opened for Sabbath last year for christ sakes. Metallica gets ridiculed for so much bullshit, even shit that they don't control. It is really getting ridiculous. Metallica's first five albums are better than Priest's best. Priest might have more good albums for their standards but don't come close to Metallica's best five. I don't really give a shit that Priest did or said what they said about Sum 41, and I certainly don't care that Kerry King did a video with that same band. If they want to do that, fine it is up to them, they shouldn't be ridiculed for it. Metallica has never done anything like that yet are ridiculed for Collective Soul opening for them in a South Africa festival?! Give me a break.

metalnate83 said:
You are wrong on many levels. South Africa asked them to headline their festival and they thought it would be a cool idea. Who gives a shit who opens for them in a festival. I was watching a VH-1 concert with a bunch of bands......I can't remember for what. Sum 41 was playing and Priest comes on there and plays with them. Why don't they get shit for that? Metallica has never done something like that. Priest later on in the concert said Sum 41 is going to be the next best thing in METAL!!! I laughed my ass off. Why don't they get badgered for comments like that? I tell you why because no one gives a shit about Priest anymore and they haven't for 20 years. Metallica's efforts have been bad lately but they are still asked to headline festivals around the world......THAT IS RESPECT!!! You don't see Priest headlining several 50-60,000 seat stadiums around the globe. Yes Collective Soul was there but Metallica had no imput on who was going to open for them there.......who gives a shit who the fuck opens for anyone. Mudvayne opened for Sabbath last year for christ sakes. Metallica gets ridiculed for so much bullshit, even shit that they don't control. It is really getting ridiculous. Metallica's first five albums are better than Priest's best. Priest might have more good albums for their standards but don't come close to Metallica's best five. I don't really give a shit that Priest did or said what they said about Sum 41, and I certainly don't care that Kerry King did a video with that same band. If they want to do that, fine it is up to them, they shouldn't be ridiculed for it. Metallica has never done anything like that yet are ridiculed for Collective Soul opening for them in a South Africa festival?! Give me a break.

You really do want to get anally fucked by Metallica don't you? lol ... Metallica is big enough to say who they want to play with or who will be the openers.. so your wrong there ... and who gives a shit about whose opening? ... as a metal fan i would.. i wouldnt want to pay whatever the ticket price is to have to go through shitty bands that arent even metal just to see the headliner and no i wouldnt want to stay outside the stadium till the headliner came on... if i want to see a big Metal band i want to see other metal bands with them... as for no one respecting Priest... start a Priest thread because you are sadly mistaken.. Metallica has lost alot more respect then Priest ever has... and as for "RESPECT" about asking a band to headline... that's not respect for the music/band that is just respect for the whole mighty Dollar $$ ... even though metallica comes out with shitty albums nowadays they can still pack it in with the teeny boppers that show up... $$ does not mean respect because if it did then you must of respected Britney Spears in her heyday lol ... but then again you had said you must be gay for liking Metallica so perhaps you are gay and respect Britney as well ... :rolleyes: as for their first five albums being classic that is a matter of opinion.. some people would consider the Black album a good one but by no means a classic or even as good as any of Priest's classic ones... so get over yourself because it wasnt that great of a album same goes with AJFA.. to me their great ones were the first 3 albums... they were flawless... so don't get mad about the gay comment because you brought it up and everytime u bring something up and i criticize it you can't take someone not agreeing with you and you also can't admit ever when your wrong... anyways let the Metallica issue die already... like i said its been done to death and the only thing we can agree on is we dont agree on anything.. there are other bands worth talking about and hasnt been done to death like Priest lol jk ... :p :rolleyes: :Smug: