Caparison Applehorn + Dimebucker question

my assumption was that the ts9 mode was the same as a ts9

I dunno
*shrug*

No, it is the same - the other three are what I was talking about; on that note, the TS7 is forty bucks and is the same circuit as the TS9DX, so when I hear people complaining about why the other three modes sound like ass in front of their high-gain amps I have to stifle a chuckle after thinking that a third of the cost could have gotten them all that they would use.

Jeff

I compared a used Ibanez TS9-DX to a used Maxon 820 a few months ago. The DX clearly had a much broader range of tones on tap, but none sounded quite as good as the relatively one-trick 820.

I bought the Maxon and used it daily until it took a tragic dive from the top of my XSr to a ceramic tile floor. It still works, but the Drive knob's shaft broke mostly free of the pot and now it either has no effect on the sound when turned or only affects the sound when turned between 7-10 o'clock or 2-5 o'clock. :erk:

Who, me? I think it was E.A. who was playing Santa Claus with the RAM sticks. But if he's willing to transfer your IOU, I'd certainly be gracious enough to accept it. :)

by the way, the TS9DX is not what I am getting. I am getting a TS9 Deluxe mod from Keeley. Its fucking nuts. Its 18 volts instead of 9, they add true bypass, it has BOTH keeley mods on it (with a switch to choose which one you want), and an adjustable lead boost (they add another little stomp button right where it says Ibanez on the top). Basically, its clearer, has more headroom, is louder, and has more of the lowend that the original Tubescreamer doesn't.

Ooh, fucking good pedal. Haven't tried one in a high-gain boost (as I'd think that the low end wouldn't be what I'd go for and that I need no more gain than I already have to fight off) but those certainly sound amazing on their own.

Jeff

I'm gonna go against the grain and say try a duncan custom or fullshred. They're both much tighter than a jb and sound great. Also, since you seem to like lawrences why not just get one of them? I've got no experience with em but they're supposed to be pretty transparent I've heard.

by the way, the TS9DX is not what I am getting. I am getting a TS9 Deluxe mod from Keeley. Its fucking nuts. Its 18 volts instead of 9, they add true bypass, it has BOTH keeley mods on it (with a switch to choose which one you want), and an adjustable lead boost (they add another little stomp button right where it says Ibanez on the top). Basically, its clearer, has more headroom, is louder, and has more of the lowend that the original Tubescreamer doesn't.

Can you post a link to that Keeley mod? I want the same thing!

... you're fucking kidding, right?

Jeff

If thats related to Gibson pickups, no, i'm not kidding. I get perfect tone from a Gibson Studio with 498T in the bridge position on a Soldano Hot Rod 50 on 11. I think it's perfect metal tone ( i love lots of mids on guitar)

I love lots of mids on guitar, but I've never gotten anything but mud and feedback from Gibson pickups. I used to dream about the Zeppelin guitar tones (before I got into metal) but the ones I've played haven't made me think of paying half the price on their tags. I couldn't imagine recording those, a clip would be nice.

Jeff

I love lots of mids on guitar, but I've never gotten anything but mud and feedback from Gibson pickups. I used to dream about the Zeppelin guitar tones (before I got into metal) but the ones I've played haven't made me think of paying half the price on their tags. I couldn't imagine recording those, a clip would be nice.

Jeff

Actually you are right. Never worked for low-tuned metal. It sounds great still on drop-C but anything lower then C is mud. It doesn't bother me as i play in C# tuning. But i guess it wouldn't work for others.

thanks everyone who's replied so far, I've gotten alot of good ideas...just as an update, I haven't gotten my tubescreamer back yet, but I was playing through my JSX the other day with my Caparison, and just for shits and giggles I decided to see how a Epiphone Les Paul copy sounded in comparison. As weird as it sounds, the Epiphone definitely seemed to have hotter pickups (so the guy who recommended the Gibson pickups probably wasn't that crazy). My friend works at an amp/guitar repair place, we're going to fuck with my guitar today, try different wiring configurations, different pickups, etc. I'll let everyone know how that goes.