Carpet Cloud Ceiling - Would it work?

YStSnapper

New Metal Member
Dec 27, 2011
Long story short, I just got a new space for my recording studio. My live room is about 15' x 20', and will need a good amount of acoustic treatment. I'm hoping to do so on a modest budget, and had a weird idea that I'm not sure would work or not.

I have a lot of 4' rolls of carpet that I got for free, and so I had an idea to create somewhat of a floating ceiling, by hanging 4'x4' or maybe 4'x6' sheets of carpet about 6" to 12" off of my 9'2" ceiling - either parallel to the floor or folded into hanging V's. I would probably do somewhat of a checkered on/off pattern, covering roughly half the ceiling's surface area. So my question is, WOULD THIS DO ANYTHING FOR ME?

In addition, I do plan on building floor-to-ceiling corner bass traps with 703, and will probably make up some absorption panels for the walls and the wall-ceiling joints. But I would save a ton of money if this floating carpet ceiling idea would actually work. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Carpet is very thin and doesn't absorb alot, it would only work in the high frequencies.

So to answer your question if it would do anything for you, you would first need to know what the problem areas in your room are.

Will only make the room worse.

Build some acoustic Rockwool panels, easy as hell. Maybe even float one of those if you're brave and confident of your workmanship.

I don't think it would make it worse if you hang them in an upside down C pattern. Drooping like this > U but spread more.

On a low budget you got a do what you got a do, and the number one thing that you want to kill in a live room is flutter echo.

If you clap your hands once and hear a high pitched fast echo or boing, any absorbent material will help get rid of it. ..so it's a start. gl