Carvin Guitars

Lazzari

Chakachakalabuchaka
Aug 18, 2008
In a Shitty Country (Venezuela)
I'm in the market for a new guitar (7 string), I was checking the Carvin DC 727, which IMO looks good, maybe u guys could tell me some good or bad things about carvins..

I was thinking a mahogany/maple body, ebony fingerboard, floyd rose (dunno if its a real or a licensed) maple/walnut neck, flamed maple top..

P.S: I'm looking for a guitar that I may use for a lot of music styles... But mainly metal.. Thanks !

Generally they are great guitars, most people that get them seem to love them. I can't get past the looks, personally.

Well I like the shape.. The thing is the pup's.. they bring some custom carvins.. I might have to change them.. Other thing is the trem, looks like a licensed, but the page doesn't say...

Yes, pups are the main drawback on carvin guitars. The problem is that if you want to change them you'll have to route the guitar to fit them because the stock ones are thinner than the regular size. I've heard problems with the tremolos (I think they're not licensed) but I can't really speak for that since mine has a fixed bridge.

Besides that I would say that they are awesome guitars.

Yeah they seem savage except for the annoying pickup routing thing. My brother is likely gonna be ordering one in the next few months.

yeah, they're a little smaller. TOns of guys have gotten tham and re routed the pickup hole to fit the new pickups. Also heard you can file down the pickup tabs on some models to make them fit rather than mess with the guitar

The 727 route is smaller. I'm pretty sure the 747 is fine, I've only really heard this about the 727? You can fit DiMarzios in the 727 with some light sanding of the baseplate. Not a huge deal to route/sand the guitar cavity out a bit if you need to, but the pickups in my 727 were seriously VERY surprising. I wish I could've gotten along with the neck better, because that was seriously one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned, I just couldn't get used to the neck, it made my wrist cramp for some reason.

Carvin does NOT use OFRs on their 7 strings (they do on the 6 strings), nor will they install one if you buy it and ship it to them. Their bodies are cut on a CNC machine that is set for their specific Floyd route, which I don't believe is an exact match to an OFR.

I own a Carvin DC727 that I installed DiMarzios into.

The Good: The guitar sounds and plays fucking-amazing. Great tone, great playability. One of the nicest playing instruments I have ever laid hands on. Love it. Carvin was the only way I was getting an ash bodied, ebony fretboard 7 string with decent quality under $2k and in less than a year of waiting time. $1100 and 8 weeks of waiting is a killer deal for a guitar this good.

The Bad: The hardware, electronics, and pickups they ship with are, shall we say, not that great. I had three main problems:

1) The pickup routes. I don't mind cheap/generic pickups in a guitar, since I'll probably be changing them anyway. Would I prefer pickups that actually have resale value? Yeah, but it isn't a deal breaker. What annoys me is that the pickup routes are too small for every pickup that isn't a Carvin. It took me about 40 minutes with a Dremel tool to route the holes to be large enough to fit the DiMarzios, but it doesn't look that great, and really should have came like that from the factory.

The pickups fucking suck by the way. Extremely thin, like a highpass at 200Hz or something.

2) The tuners. Sperzels. Maybe decent for a 6 string that's going to be kept in a higher tuning, but they are a poor choice for a 7 string. Reason being: They won't accept a string larger than the stock .056 gauge, which (when tuned to B) is roughly equivalent to a .042 in E. This is "Extra light gauge". In order to get fatter strings in there, you need to drill out the tuner hole to make it work. Given that Sperzels only have a 12:1 ratio anyway and aren't terribly precise, I'd rather just replace them with some Gotohs. Unfortunately, Gotohs don't exactly fit in the headstock perfectly, so one of them has to be a little crooked. Doesn't bother me a whole lot, but it makes tuning something of a pain.

Tuning stability with the Gotohs is markedly better than with Sperzels. Oh, and I can fit a .068 with no trouble, which is about equivalent to a .052 in E. Glorious tone victory.

3) They don't really want to work with you. I emailed and requested that they route out DiMarzio routing holes and drill out the tuning peg so that it would accommodate larger strings. They refused. Wouldn't even put a price on it, just categorically refused to do it. I understand that they've got a certain way of working, but if you offer 'custom' guitars, you should be willing to fucking customize then when offered cash to do so.

I love the guitar, but it certainly didn't come as a 'finished product'. Took an irritatingly large amount of work to get it to be awesome. That said, it IS awesome, and I would definitely order another one...

Oh -- and I hate that only the 7 strings have a 25.5" scale. I'd totally get a 6er if they didn't use a 25" scale.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I absolutely love Carvins. I have 2 customs and highly recommend them. They are reliable, tuning stable, quality made, are a ridiculous value and have lots of customizable options. I've modded mine out quite a bit to fit EMGs and my baritone string set (.68-12) but really have had no major problems doing so. Yes those will need to be done if you want them to, but they aren't extremely expensive mods plus if your putting a .68 on a guitar the nut needs to be modified, and surprisingly drilling out the sperzel to accomodate the gauge doesn't seem to hurt the machines stability. All in all those are the only negatives I've ever had with the guitars, and to me they were just further customization that in some manner would have needed to be done to most guitars i would have gotten. To me the most important thing in buying a guitar is its resonance, and quality of construction. As long as there is a way to get the features you need, than its all good. Both mine have stainless steel frets and tung oiled necks and they make my Schecter hellraiser C7 look and feel like a piece of shit. Obviously just my 2 cents, but they're awesome axes.

Cheers,
George.

3) They don't really want to work with you. I emailed and requested that they route out DiMarzio routing holes and drill out the tuning peg so that it would accommodate larger strings.

Well, that's not exactly true. There may be some things that cannot/won't do but there are a lot of customizations that they will do if you ask. From my experience the sales person was very helpful and patient with my requests.
For example I wanted to have on the guitar only a volume pot and a 5-way switch (normally the DC727 comes with 2 pots (volume/tone) 3 way switch and a few other switches for coil splitting and phase reverse I think). I also wanted a color customization and they accepted it with no problems.

Well, that's not exactly true. There may be some things that cannot/won't do but there are a lot of customizations that they will do if you ask. From my experience the sales person was very helpful and patient with my requests.
For example I wanted to have on the guitar only a volume pot and a 5-way switch (normally the DC727 comes with 2 pots (volume/tone) 3 way switch and a few other switches for coil splitting and phase reverse I think). I also wanted a color customization and they accepted it with no problems.

Lol. That sort of wiring accommodation was one thing they didn't want to do for me. I think I requested two volumes and a 5 way blade... "No can do". OK. Whatever.

The best fucking guitar player I've ever met in my life ONLY uses Carvins. This guy shreds like Steve Vai. He owns three of them. Unfortunately he's a lefty though so I haven't gotten to try them yet

The best fucking guitar player I've ever met in my life ONLY uses Carvins. This guy shreds like Steve Vai. He owns three of them. Unfortunately he's a lefty though so I haven't gotten to try them yet

Yeah, Carvins are one of those guitars that once you try one, you either love it, or you hate it. The necks aren't for everyone, but everyone that I know that owns one, says it's the best neck they've ever felt.

Personally, my Parker's neck is without a doubt the best neck I've ever felt. Seriously, it's VERY hard to play anything else after touch that guitar. I got a Jackson SL2H a few weeks back and I've barely touched it, because the neck just feels odd to me now that I've been using my Parker almost exclusively :erk: