Cat Stevens?

tunepeg35

New Metal Member
Dec 6, 2005
Hey has anyone heard bout this guy? I think he was around during the 60+70's but i was listening to some of his stuff the other day, and i was seriously impressed with his talent. I think the cd was called "gold" and it may have been that new greatest hits cd he just put out. The songs are put together so well, that im sure he pioneered the genre. If anyone is a cat stevens fan, let me know more stuff bout him, or why you like him, whatever. Later

Most music fans know who he is and yes he was a good songwriter.. but he left the music scene years ago to become a radical Muslim and is sympathetic to the terrorists of this world who do things in the name of Islam.... but remember him when he was still Cat Stevens and not Mussaf Islam or whatever he calls himself nowadays because he was a talented songwriter... but i wouldn't call him the originator of any genre..

I haven't seen any proof that he was a terrorist sympathizer.unless you include the government's paranoid reaction when he returned to the U.S. to promote some of his old music. Indeed he was a fantastic songwriter.

I still didn't see anything in the article that justifies deporting him. I hate fucking fundamentalists mudslums but they are no less extreme in their views as a fundie baptist or a JDL supporter-so where's Jerry Falwell's plane ticket the fuck out of here?

The article (And I suspect that the daily standard is a right wing magazine) states that Ol' Cat defends the Islamic terrorist position simply because he decided to take a more instrumentally minimalist approach to his latest album, in keeping with his beliefs;That's reaching at least and paranoid at best.To me, only two things would warrant keeping him out of the country-his endorsement of Salmon Rushdie's(unrealized)death sentence and the fact that he decided to make his way back to these shores in the post 9/11 years when he had never expressed an interest in coming back to the U.S. before 9/11.

Oh well, at least we can agree on his musical ability.:)

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Most music fans know who he is and yes he was a good songwriter.. but he left the music scene years ago to become a radical Muslim and is sympathetic to the terrorists of this world who do things in the name of Islam.... but remember him when he was still Cat Stevens and not Mussaf Islam or whatever he calls himself nowadays because he was a talented songwriter... but i wouldn't call him the originator of any genre..

I agree with that.

He also was proof that you don't have to have the most talent in the world to write a good song. I don't particularly feel that he had a very strong voice, but he really put those songs together well.

SoundMaster said:
I wouldn't put too much credence in the Weekly Standard.

Ditto.

Looks like something that people like Rush Limbaugh and Paul Harvey would read to arouse themselves before coitus. :Spin:

So a quiet evening at your house would sound something like this:"Ooo baby, baby it's a wild
*Cough*" "Moooon sha-dow-*Cough Cough*;)

Actually, he is a good musician and songwriter-antiamerican muslim piece of shit or not.
Just as Hitler was a brilliant man who despite being anti-semitic, helped do everything from extracting fat from coal to make soap to establishing in Germany what we call highways today.

Vital Remains said:
yeah hes really good.....with his anti american statements and all.:yuk:
Yes this is an important consideration when referring to his past work. And also, he isnt as radical as people are suggesting. I think people tend to forget that devout muslims dont look well upon violence. Let us not forget that the Qur'an is a less violent book than the bible.

Anyway, my dad plays acoustic guitar and loved the beatles and singer songwriters of the 70s. So needless to say, I grew up on Cat Stevens, Neil Young, etc and to this day I still appreciate them. Probably for nostalgia moreso than any love of the music.