Catching up on some CD-Rs...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
On one listen so far...

Danzig - 777
Hmmm, what were they doing on this one? It sounds quite commerial and radio friendly doesn't it? "Black Mass" is cool (as doomy as Danzig get I suppose), but then what happens on "Wicked Pussycat"? Is that rapping I hear? After that it gets a little sour...tell me I'm wrong, because that unique Danzig blackness from III and IV seems to have vanished into the night!

Hypocrisy - The Final Chapter
You really have to wonder how thin the line is between Thrash and Death metal at times. Is this their 'sellout album' or was that "Catch 22"? I can never remember, but upon reading NAD's review of "Hypocrisy" again and listening to "The Final Chapter", all I can say is, give me more Hypocrisy!! (I have "Abducted" at home). I really, really like "The Final Chapter" so far, and yes, I even like that song -- is it "Inquire Within"? -- with the clean vocals and near pop-metal melodies, heh.

Death metal that's melodic > Melodic death metal :loco:

Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
I have to ask, is it my copy or is the original recording/production of this just total arsewipe and fucked up? It sounds like the woofers have blown and I'm hearing some leakage coming out the tweeters. I will put this album on hold until someone confirms, because musically, from what I can make out, it sounds great....but I can barely hear it.

Hypocrisy's sellout album was Catch 22. Required Hypocrisy:

The Fourth Dimension
Abducted
The FInal Chapter
Hypocrisy

for those that are still curious:

Osculum Obscenum
The Arrival
Into the Abyss
Penetralia

for those into mallcore or lolcore:

Catch 22

JayKeeley said:
Danzig - 777
Hmmm, what were they doing on this one? It sounds quite commerial and radio friendly doesn't it? "Black Mass" is cool (as doomy as Danzig get I suppose), but then what happens on "Wicked Pussycat"? Is that rapping I hear? After that it gets a little sour...tell me I'm wrong, because that unique Danzig blackness from III and IV seems to have vanished into the night!
For what it's worth I was very disappointed with 777 for a few weeks, but insisted on listening to it over and over again. Now I really really like it, but some of the chugga chugga bits annoy after awhile. Without Light, I Am though, :worship: that is one of the little big man's finest songs.
Death metal that's melodic > Melodic death metal :loco:
Seems like it was years ago I told you Hypocrisy rocked for this very reason... probably because it was. :tickled:

Bah to those that call Catch 22 a sellout album, it had some sucky moments yes, but you fuckers (I aim this toward many many people) throw around that sellout term waaaaaaaaaaaay too freely. Honestly I would say every Hypocrisy album is essential except Osculum Obscenum and Catch 22, but Abducted, The Final Chapter, and the self-titled get an almost universal nod from the metal community.

Thing about Hypocrisy is that they could be the unwanted stepchild with red hairy pubes or something....just a theory (591 threads on their forum isn't exactly reflective of much fan discussion, at least on UM).

It's difficult to place them into a category so the average metal fan freaks and runs away screaming.

Are they thrash? death? progressive? melodic? all of the above? If you like Edge of Sanity circa "Purgatory Afterglow", I don't see why you wouldn't like something like "The Final Chapter"...death vox, clean vox, melodic clean guitar, thrashing frenzied guitars etc.

Having said that, it's not like Edge of Sanity get much glorification either. Perhaps it's these unsung heroes that attract the audience not looking for the 'oh so obvious' stuff. I'm definitely loving this Hypocrisy album, and now it just makes me want to go back to "Abducted" with new ears.

Did you ever buy "The Arrival"? If so, do you still have that promo laying about? If not, I shall ask thee for a CD-R one day. Let me absorb what I have for now.

I also have that chicken shaped CD...still wrapped....what the hell is that? I can't remember...but it looks cool.

Another CD-R trade turns into a success story.

Danzig 777 will be listened to a lot less than III in the upcoming weeks. Time is of the essence.

There is really no comparison between 777 and III/4p, I hope I didn't lead you on to thinking that. Oh yeah go buy Danzig 4p so you can see the greatest band line-up photo of ALL TIME.

If Edge of Sanity had as consistent albums as Hypocrisy did I'd love them more, but they did rock regardless. The chicken thing ("IT'S A HEART TRUST ME IT'S A HEART" --some fanboy) is Maximum Abduction, has two songs from Abducted, an early version of Request Denied, and a Kiss cover song (the last two are available on the 4th Dimension re-release).

No I never bought the Arrival but I should, I'll send you the promo of it either way since I haven't listened to it for awhile. You need the self-titled really bad, if you want the CD-R of that while I'm at it... yes, you do I'll just send it. :loco:

I agree with most of J's analysis of the Hypocrisy catalog, except I think Penetralia is essential if for no other reason than to hear the band as a five piece with a different vocalist. Besides that, it's excellent death metal.

I still have not heard The Arrival, after Catch 22, I wasn't in a big hurry.

Penetralia is amazing old school Swedish death metal.

dundadada DADADA dundadada DADADA dundadada DADADA dundadada DADADA
IMPOTENT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!
(repeat x980250)

One Inch Man said:
There is really no comparison between 777 and III/4p, I hope I didn't lead you on to thinking that. Oh yeah go buy Danzig 4p so you can see the greatest band line-up photo of ALL TIME.
No you didn't, those are the only three I have so the comparison is inevitable. Still, I'll work backwards from 4, only to eventually hear James Hetfield harmonizing with Danzig, that's gotta sound great considering we're talking 1988.

If Edge of Sanity had as consistent albums as Hypocrisy did I'd love them more, but they did rock regardless. The chicken thing ("IT'S A HEART TRUST ME IT'S A HEART" --some fanboy) is Maximum Abduction
It's a bloody chicken!

I think you were the one that told me it was Hetfield, I had no idea all those years listening to that album. :lol: Stay away from 6:66 and make 5 - Blackacidevil the final one, if you get that far. It's techno. I love it. :D

I know you're a big fan of Danzig III and 4p. I like those albums, but always thought his first two were his best work. How do you rate them?

Solid 9/10 albums, I just think that III and 4p are moments of complete perfection. When I make lists of my favorite Danzig songs many come from the first two: Tired of Being Alive, Long Way Back From Hell, Possession, She Rides, and several others just get me amped just to think about, let alone listen to them. Here's a quick reference chart:

Danzig - 9/10
II Lucifuge - 9/10
III HTGK - 10/10
4p - 10/10
5 Blackacidevil - 8/10
6:66 Satan's Child - 5/10 (except 13, which is an 11/10 song)
777 I, Luciferi - 8/10
Circle of Snakes - 8/10

My ratings would be similar, except I'd give the higher marks to the first two and slightly lower ones to III and 4p. Blackacidevil has some good songs but overall I'm not crazy about it. I haven't heard 666, and only heard 777 a few times. Haven't heard the new one.
The Thrall/Demonsweat Live EP had some good tracks. "It's Comin' Down" is a favorite of mine.

Out of curiosity, were you exposed to his albums in order--mainly referring to the first 4.

ahaha, every time you guys talk about Danzig, I picture that buff midget yelling "mooottttttttttthhhhhhhheeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr" in the rain.

It's Coming Down is AMAZING, you're right. I would stay away from 6:66 except for 13 which was written for Johnny Cash, and is very fitting. I haven't mailed you that Drudkh yet, do you want some Danzig to go along with it?

I borrowed III from a friend right when Mother '93 was making huge waves on MTV, and fell in love with it. Then I got the self-titled, and thought it was great but that III was a little better. I got 4p for Christmas the year it was released and was just completely floored, only maybe 3 albums in my life have moved me as much as that one. Then I scooped up everything Danzig whenever I could, finally getting around to the Misfits and Samhain in... probably not until 2000? Whenever the Samhain boxset was released.

Nope, just Samhain and Misfits. The first 4 should be able to be found pretty cheap though, if you can, get the digi of 4p because the layout rules. All were released on American, re-released at least once by them, and then one more time on E-magine. I always see tons of copies at stores I go to, of various releases/labels.

One Inch Man said:
It's Coming Down is AMAZING, you're right. I would stay away from 6:66 except for 13 which was written for Johnny Cash, and is very fitting. I haven't mailed you that Drudkh yet, do you want some Danzig to go along with it?

I borrowed III from a friend right when Mother '93 was making huge waves on MTV, and fell in love with it. Then I got the self-titled, and thought it was great but that III was a little better. I got 4p for Christmas the year it was released and was just completely floored, only maybe 3 albums in my life have moved me as much as that one. Then I scooped up everything Danzig whenever I could, finally getting around to the Misfits and Samhain in... probably not until 2000? Whenever the Samhain boxset was released.
I've heard Cash do 13, great track. How many discs is that Samhain set? I used to have some of their stuff but don't anymore. I'm a Misfits freak and was into them before Danzig's first came out. It took some time to get used to the new style of his solo stuff, but I eventually loved it. As I've said in other threads, I think many times the stuff that's out when you get into a band tends to be your favorite. I love Tool, but didn't get into them until Lateralus, which is definitely my favorite album. Different from most long time fans. I'm sure I'd prefer Aenima if I was a fan when it was released.

matt99_crew said:
I think many times the stuff that's out when you get into a band tends to be your favorite.
Yeah, I agree.

Although since you brought up Tool, I'm starting to enjoy Lateralus as much and maybe even more than ÆNIMA even if I've been a hardcore fan since shortly after Undertow was released. :)

The Samhain set includes Initium, Unholy Passion, November-Coming-Fire, Final Descent, and live '85-'86. I've heard that the master tapes were actually lost, and these are just remixes of some other release, inferior to the originals. I haven't heard the originals so I don't know. It's not as impressive a set as the Misfits box is, but I'm glad I have it.