CC DeVille - best 80s guitarist.

Actually my vote for best guitarist of the 80's?!

Now were are talkin' 80's glam-George Lynch.

USMC, You're entitled to your opinion about C.C., I don't care for that guy anymore that you. He was all flash & not technique. Another player from the 80's that I liked was Paul Gilbert's Racer X stuff. Yngwie is a great guitarist, but I would cmpare him to a sloppy player like Ace Frehley in the sense that he shows no growth. Just about evey track sounds the same. You could have stopped listening to Malsteen after the Trilogy record & picked up Attack!!! & not missed much. That's a true shame & makes him a one trick pony like Ace. I love Mick Mars, yet another one that rocks. Unfortunately for him, Motley Crue is one dimensional & unless he does a solo record, we will never know how good he really is....

sixxswine said:
Actually my vote for best guitarist of the 80's?!

Now were are talkin' 80's glam-George Lynch.

USMC, You're entitled to your opinion about C.C., I don't care for that guy anymore that you. He was all flash & not technique. Another player from the 80's that I liked was Paul Gilbert's Racer X stuff. Yngwie is a great guitarist, but I would cmpare him to a sloppy player like Ace Frehley in the sense that he shows no growth. Just about evey track sounds the same. You could have stopped listening to Malsteen after the Trilogy record & picked up Attack!!! & not missed much. That's a true shame & makes him a one trick pony like Ace. I love Mick Mars, yet another one that rocks. Unfortunately for him, Motley Crue is one dimensional & unless he does a solo record, we will never know how good he really is....

Couldn't agree more Sixx...you hit the nail right on the head. Malmsteen's speed gets old after a while. Some of his technique (being a musician) is unbelievable - for example - he goies into some of his runs and just stops short on a perfect full-note bend and then back down the neck. From a musician's point of view, his precision is unbelievable. But - like you pointed out - he's very one-dimensional and he hasn't grown much at all. Not too mention he's a conceited bastard too boot. Plenty of other guys I'd list above him...

Mick Mars has a sound that nobody else will ever have, and to me that's pretty impressive. He's written some cool riffs, but I'd never list him as one of the greats - that's just my opinion.

My votes would go to players like Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Mark McGee, Vinnie Moore, Ritchie Kotzen, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe, Micheal Lee Firkins, basically just about anybody that was on Shrapnel around that time.

These days, for me, it's guys like Michael Romeo from Symphony-X.

There were plenty of good and not so good players in the 80s. I have always leaned towards heavier stuff, I'm a metal guy at my core (Mercyful Fate, Sabbath, etc.), but I'd have to say that the coolest "guitar" album of the 80s was Appeitite For Destruction. Slash was GREAT on it too. It had this big, fat Les Paul sound throughout, and the rythem parts genuinely looped in and out of each other and just plain went well together. A lot of bands have two guitarists for no reason that I can really tell, except that someone still be playing the rythem when one is playing lead. So, overall, for style, actual talent, and for having a kind of freedom that let him put BALLS into things, I think Slash was probably the best of the 80s.

And I say that purely on the basis of that ONE album. I thought everything else they did not only paled in comparison, but pretty much sucked.

So, I vote Slash. As to C.C. Deville, he comes to mind about as fast as the drummer from Twisted Sister does when you say, "Who is the best drummer of the 80s?" You might just as well choose a name out of a hat as choose that guy. Not trying to be to rough here, and it's always about individual taste, but somebody (kindly) backpeddled up above me here about his "sucks" comment. You were right to do that out of neighborlyness, but brother you were right, Poison sucks.

...and just so I don't come off as a hair band hater here, there were those guitarists that had really obvious talent. Guys that shined, despite the fact that (for me) they were in a genre that I really couldn't dig too much.

A couple people named a few above: George Lynch, Warren Demartini, and Vito Bratta. These guys all had talent. Big enough so that I took notice even though I didn't really like their bands.

Oh, and sorry for spelling rhythm wrong. My points would come off soooo much better if they didn't look like I was dictating to the little kid next door. Ah well. Humbled as always.

sixxswine said:
There goes the "sucks" comments...
C.C. was is a slacker, but when he left
they put out one good record Native Tongue...
So Poison had potential...

I disagree with this. Personally I have no time for this record. For me there are possibly three or four tracks that I can stand to listen to but to me it has never and will never be seen as a true Poison record. It just doesn't have that something that the others have and the only thing I can put it down as is CC. I think what I'm actually taking the long way round to saying is if you think Native Tongue is the only good record Poison put out then you don't really think Poison made a good record because the only one you see as good was one made by a line-up that wasn't really Poison. As usual this makes no sense I'm sure to anybody but me (and even I'm a little confused by it :D ) Not knocking your liking of the record either Sixx as of course you are entitled to your opinion.

SevenString said:
My votes would go to players like Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Mark McGee, Vinnie Moore, Ritchie Kotzen, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe, Micheal Lee Firkins, basically just about anybody that was on Shrapnel around that time.

These days, for me, it's guys like Michael Romeo from Symphony-X.

No offense but most of those Shrapnel guys were Malsteen wanna be's/copy cats.. but i do think that Gilbert & Friedman did progress better once they joined Mr. Big and Megadeth... they weren't under the control of the label owner of Shrapnel (i forget his name nowadays).. which im sure basically told them to be as much as Malsteen as possible so he could carve out a niche for his label in the metal world... dont get me wrong. those guys were technically brilliant on Shrapnel but did the same as Malsteen... play at a million miles a hour and sound the same from album to album.. Marty was brilliant with Megadeth and Dave let him grow and show what he can really do.. but i do have to admit I am a fan of Vinnie Moore as well... I think he auditioned for Ozzy back around when Jake left but Ozzy gave it to Zakk... also George Lynch was in Ozzy very briefly in the early 80's i believe when Randy died.. anyways the Shrapnel guys were great technically brilliant players but were no songwriters except for the few who moved on to established bands that taught them about songwriting and that there is more to music then lead solos and wanking off.... as for CC.. he's not a great guitarist but i believe he fit in Poison just fine and his rhythm's and leads were good for the band... they were my fave hair band in the 80's.. i never considered George/Dokken a hair/glam band but thats just me <shrugs> ... Listen to George on that live Japanese concert album (i forget the name because my friend has borrowed it and i havent gotten it back yet) .... he was brilliant on that album... most players are better live then on the studio albums.. thats one thing i always thought about George and Randy...

Ritchie Blackmore 4 decades still # 1 :worship:

and C.C is a sissy :devil:

sixxswine said:
I might agree with you there. I'm still in awe as to what
the girls use to see in him & the rest of Poison.
And these chicks weren't "pigs" either, they were hotties.:cry:
Actually I was trying to make a word game with "cc" and "sissy", probably it was only in my mind. o_O

I'm not questioning if the guy was hot or no to a woman eyes, but like you and with all due respect to some members of the board (and forgive my squareness), I cannot understand how a woman will find attractive a male that uses more lipstick, eyeliner and mousse than her.

As he as a good guitar player or not, I cannot say I'm not a musician. But is well known that no glam band from the 80's ever move me a bit.

SoundMaster said:
Agreed 100%!
And you know the best joke? I've seen DP twice live...and both were with Steve Morse already :erk: (one with Lord, one with Airey). Impressive as he is I never got to see the master live :cry:

Your friend is right. People who are disagreeing either don't play guitar or just don't like Poison's music. "Best" is certainly subjective in nature, but people who actually play guitar can easily make a solid argument for CC, and at worst they would acknowledge he was absolutely amazing in a number of aspects. The knock on him would probably be that his guitar work lacks the elite "feel" and "soul" of other competitors for "best" of the era. For example, Slash absolutely oozed musical charisma, you could just sense the soul in so many songs he did, but if it were a competition judged by a computer, CC could play circles around him I guarantee. CC is more in the vain of Steve Vai greatness. Kirk Hammett is kind of split right down the middle and more "all-around" on that spectrum.

Another from close to that era who deserves honorable mention and gets little respect, Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. Pay attention to the guitar work in the song Sultans of Swing, that song has absolutely elite soul to it, and it is chock full of varied and very difficult stuff to pull off as pure and cleanly as he does. People can play bastardized versions of it, but to play it accurate, good luck.

And on the subject of best of the 80s, best guitar "tone," the tone of Neil Schon's guitar solo in Lights by Journey is the best there was.

I've seen CC Deville live a couple of times too, if you haven't, trust me, he can work the guitar even more than he shows off on Poison albums, I've definitely never seen anybody who was more jaw dropping, and I've seen Slash solo GNR songs from 12 inches away looking me in the eye.

Last edited: