CC DeVille - best 80s guitarist.

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
A friend of mine, who plays guitar, claims that CC was the best of that era. He claims that no one can touch his solos - in terms of melody.

I'm not a guitarist, but I always found Poison - and specifically CC - to be run of the mill. Nothing special.

My friend lists George Lynch, Jake E Lee, Cris Oliva, Warren DeMartini and Dave Mustaine at the top, but all just below CC.

Any thoughts on this odd opinion?

Definetly not the best of the 80's all around but one of the best of the 80's glam metal movement. George Lynch and Warren DeMartini definetly shine above him in my opinion.

SoundMaster said:
A friend of mine, who plays guitar, claims that CC was the best of that era.

Perhaps your friend has suffered brain damage.

if your talking about the whole 80's then it has to be Randy Rhoads (and i have a soft spot for SRV though he's not metal).. but if you mean just mid to late 80's then it would probably be Jake E Lee, George Lynch, Slash, etc...

I find CC to be frankly technically deficient. To me, the best of the "hair" guitarists was Vito Bratta of White Lion. Lynch, A. Vandenberg, Hoffmann, Viv Campbell, DeMartini, Yngwie, Jake E. Lee, Oliva, Jabs, Vai, Hannon etc. etc. the list goes on and on. There were many talented guitarists in the 80's but I feel like Deville was mediocre at best. Of course "taste" and personal preference are personal, so if he likes CC's style that's good for him. I consider Mick Mars to be very mediocre technically, but I like his style.

Bryant

I think CC gets a bad rap. I don't think he's the greatest, but I don't think he sucks either....Poison (especially LWTCDI) was a great pop/hard rock band with some great songs like Talk Dirty To Me and I thought the solos always fit the songs...nothing revolutionary, but nothing that Yngwie would've drooled over...

tedvanfrehley said:
I think CC gets a bad rap. I don't think he's the greatest, but I don't think he sucks either....Poison (especially LWTCDI) was a great pop/hard rock band with some great songs like Talk Dirty To Me and I thought the solos always fit the songs...nothing revolutionary, but nothing that Yngwie would've drooled over...

Yngwie doesnt drool over anything except perhaps Paganinni and Hendrix or so he claims lol ...

Poison sucks ass...and while I'm sure CC DeVille HAS some talent (I seem to remember he had some sort of formal musical schooling, which I always respect) - he didn't PLAY anything challenging or anything that would really set him aside from his peers. He was more concerned with being in a band about hair and makeup and looking like a drag queen.

George Lynch blows CC's doors in, and Jake E. Lee, as far as I am concerned, is one of the most underrated guitarists out there. Just listen to the song "Bark at the Moon" and you'll see what the guy is capable of.

Randy Rhoades is another one that CC could never hold a candle to.

And again - think about the 80's...Chris Poland (formerly of Megadeth) smokes DeVilles shit like nothing. Warren DeMartini from RATT? Hate the band, but Warren is head and shoulders one of the bets of the 80's...CC has no shot. I mean - THINK about the number of TRULY talented guitarists in the 80's, and CC's name falls farther and farther down the list. Shit - Cliff Burton smokes DeVille's ass on BASS!!! Don't think so? Watch "Cliff 'em All" and check out the solo Cliff does at his 1st or 2nd gig after joining Metallica.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but some opinions just can't be backed up intelligently...no way in hell CC DeVille was the best of the 80s - not even the best in Glam...he could play, but "the best" of anything is too strong a word for him.

That's my 2 cents...

Randy...
FUCKIN
Rhoads.

also hanorable mention goes to steve Vai, Nuno Bettencort, Michael ANgelo Batio, Zakk Wylde, Chris Holmes, Yngwie Malmsteen, Adrian Vandenberg... the list goes on and on.

sixxswine said:
There goes the "sucks" comments...
C.C. was is a slacker, but when he left
they put out one good record Native Tongue...
So Poison had potential...

Good point Sixx...Poison HAD potential...

I shouldn't have used the word "suck"...not really fair of me to do so. My point is that they were a band who put all their marbles in the image basket, when they should have spent more time writing better music for when they couldn't get by on image alone anymore.

As far as CC - way overrated and there are TONS of guys way better than him, and a shitload more that nobody's ever heard of.

JB

bobvex said:
Randy...
FUCKIN
Rhoads.

also hanorable mention goes to steve Vai, Nuno Bettencort, Michael ANgelo Batio, Zakk Wylde, Chris Holmes, Yngwie Malmsteen, Adrian Vandenberg... the list goes on and on.

Agreed - the list is WAY long. Randy was simply an unbelievable musician - classically trained, and that made him all that more of a sick guitarist. Yngwie - unbelievably technical and knocked everyone on their ass with what he can do (but a conceited asshole) - I just wish he were a little more versatile - everything doesn't have to be a billion miles an hour, Zakk Wylde is just a fucking machine...I'd like to drink with that dude sometime...Nuno Bettencort - never a fan but a very talented musician...Steve Vai - a lot of his stuff is lost on me but the dude was born to play guitar - seeing Vai, Yngwie and Satch on the last G3 tour was pretty fucking unbelievable.

Like I said - the more we point out, the more I have to say..."C.C. WHO?"

If I hd to pick one and stick with it mine is Georage Lynch. Actually Lynch still ranks up there at the top of my list even today. Not so much for his work in recent years but from the first Dokken through Dysfunctional his solo playing is just amazing. Melody, chops, shred, weird structure yet it all comes out sounding just amazing. His technique was one of a kind in my book and it came through in his playing in the form of some damn unique solo playing. Hi solo stuff on Macalpine's Maximum Security is awesome as well. He was always fun to watch play too.

MetalAges said:
If I hd to pick one and stick with it mine is Georage Lynch. Actually Lynch still ranks up there at the top of my list even today. Not so much for his work in recent years but from the first Dokken through Dysfunctional his solo playing is just amazing. Melody, chops, shred, weird structure yet it all comes out sounding just amazing. His technique was one of a kind in my book and it came through in his playing in the form of some damn unique solo playing. Hi solo stuff on Macalpine's Maximum Security is awesome as well. He was always fun to watch play too.

I'd have to agree that Lynch is still up there - especially when you take into account WHEN he started doing so many amazing things on the guitar. The dude is a monster and he can still blaze pretty damn well. He definitely gets my vote as far as who should be mentioned when talking about great guitarists...

:headbang: David Chastain, Vinnie Moore, Tony McAlpine, Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman, Jake E Lee I can name hundreds of guitar players in the 80's
that had more talent than that poser Deville. Geez Adrian Smith and
Dave Murray right off the top of my head!!!!! :Smokedev: