CD player; is there such a plugin/feature somewhere?

May 12, 2005
Sweden
www.egonaut.se
There's a thing that's been bugging me for a while when I do mixes in Reaper.
Back in the old days I used to have a portable CD plugged into the desk for references so I with the switch of a button could toggle back and forth between my project and the mix I was working with.

Now we've got a new desk and have moved location twice, this has led to my CD player becoming displaced and as I'm entering mixmode on a couple of different projects I'd like to know if there's some kind of "cdplayer/mediaplayer" plugin avaliabla as a .dll somewhere; using the media player is too much of a hassle as Reaper locks the ASIO so I have to shut down the program every now and then when I reference listen.

Insert the file into the DAW (as in, import it as a media item in Reaper) and route it straight to your soundcard (so it's bypassing the master fader)?

You probably want to drop it down in volume so it matches your (unmastered, I presume) project.

Really, why would you use a plugin?

Insert the file into the DAW (as in, import it as a media item in Reaper) and route it straight to your soundcard (so it's bypassing the master fader)?

You probably want to drop it down in volume so it matches your (unmastered, I presume) project.

Really, why would you use a plugin?

Because I'm usually referencing against 3-4 different tracks and I'd like to minimize the number of channels in each project as they tend to be pretty big anyway.

Because I'm usually referencing against 3-4 different tracks and I'd like to minimize the number of channels in each project as they tend to be pretty big anyway.

Well, 3-4 channels more is not THAT bad IMO. Have you tried installing SWS extensions and using it to hide the tracks you don't need to see? I find that helps with lots of tracks.

But really, I'm not sure what I described is to only way to reference other tracks, but I'd say it's the easiest. Just remember to bypass the master track if you're using processing on it.

Is it wierd that I can just use foobar or whatever, at the same time as mixing in reaper ? I don't have any audio dropouts or anything, so I always thought this is the norm. I'd go apeshit if i'd had to import tracks to my daw to reference them

Is it wierd that I can just use foobar or whatever, at the same time as mixing in reaper ? I don't have any audio dropouts or anything, so I always thought this is the norm. I'd go apeshit if i'd had to import tracks to my daw to reference them

What drivers are you using? Sometimes I can get sound out of both of them, but sometimes if I go use something else and go to Reaper, it won't work until I shut that other thing off (so it can have the soundcard all for itself).