CD-R writeup thread

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Been receiving tons of CD-R's lately, thanks all. Instead of seeking out dust and moss coated threads or starting 1643 new ones, I'll just do brief rundowns here.

Cynic - Focus
This seriously kicks ass, the musicianship is astonishing but it doesn't sound sterile in the least like so many technical bands can. This is like late 90s prog played by a metal band, but doesn't sound like shite like so many of that ilk. Wow, just noticed this is from 1993, that's VERY impressive because it's much more ahead of the game than most "prog" metal bands I hear today.

Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
At first I thought this was a second rate Death. NO! This is another example of ahead of their time, this doesn't sound like their death metal contemporaries in the early 90's, except maybe the vocals and a few of the riffs. There is a very full sound here that is generally lacking in this period of death metal. Good stuff!

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Twilight of the Idols
So Scalzi writes all this stuff? Him and Cobbet are quite similar. What can I say? This shit is fucking ace! AH! Goosebumps at the solo on track 3! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: This sounds distinctly Scottish, and not just the bagpipes. MAN IT FUCKING RULES!!! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Heh, I was going to write up on a few other discs, but I must admit I'm probably going to spend the rest of today listening to The Lord Weird Slough Feg, so I'll get back to this thread later. :loco:

I love it when a plan comes together....

*cue A-Team music*

Glad you like Focus. Not my thing, as you would guess, but I can totally see you specifically liking that. Pestilence went in the same direction with Spheres. Have you heard Death's Symbollic? Also, see if Evil C will burn you a CD-R of that Illogicist promo CD. It could be a top 10 contender for you....

Gotta hand it to Scott Burns too. Talk about unsung hero. RC still owes him a feature.

Yeah I've had Symbolic for many years, always found it pretty crappy. Individual Thought Patterns pokes my larynx though. :kickass:

Illogicist and more Pestilence, got it.

NAD said:
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
At first I thought this was a second rate Death. NO! This is another example of ahead of their time, this doesn't sound like their death metal contemporaries in the early 90's,
Always thought of Pestilence as the next best thing to Schizo/BtR era Sepultura actually.

NAD said:
Yeah I've had Symbolic for many years, always found it pretty crappy.
Yeah me too, but I figured that was just me. :loco:

No dice! :mad: I'll come home at lunch tomorrow if need be.

I'd love to hear any reasons why Symbolic is good, what an awfully average album from an awfully amazing band. The first riff rules, that's about it.

They do 90% turnover every 6 months, I've lived here about a year and half and they've had 3 office person replacements so far. Every time I get to know one of them they get fired / quit / evaporate / whatever.
Black Winter Day said:
It's good music, and using words to describe it is pointless :)
Alright, I'll go with that. :tickled:

Best I can hope for is take a second look at album, which I will do with Symbolic sometime this week. Usually this doesn't work, but sometimes it do.