CD-R writeup thread

Okay, try this first. Night. Headphones. Listen to "My Kantele", the acoustic version (last track if you don't have a tracklist.) Wait until the sitar solo part comes in, and tell me that doesn't fucking move you. Then when you appreciate that song, listen to the electric version of the same -- then when you understand that too, proceed to enjoy the fuck out of the rest of the album. Thank me later.

all cd's should come with instructions like that :loco:

Elegy got better. I still don't like the dude's voice (and probably never will), but the second half of the album is much better than the first. I doubt I'll ever find this a masterpiece like some of you, but it was pretty alright when I paid attention.

Aeternus - ...And So the Night Became
Good goat! Haven't listened to the whole thing yet (Star Trek IV is on :loco: ) but it frickin' rules! Reminds me a bit of Hate Forest - Battlefields, but more importantly this is what melodic death SHOULD be. It's melodic. It's death metal. It's both. It's not some average bullshit band like what people normally refer to as melodic "death."

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
This is surprisingly good. The crazy drumming and off-kilter riffs are great, but what makes this band are the vocals (which I didn't care much for when they were called At The Drive-In). He sounds like Geddy Lee but with much more passion. Then the 12 minute Santana-esque song toward the end is unexpected but kicked ass.

Killing Joke - Pandemonium
Sort of runs out of steam toward the end, but this is really good stuff and I'm glad I finally hear more than just one song from these dudes. Pretty much an industrial Swans (though not quite as good, but who is?).

NAD said:
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
This is surprisingly good. The crazy drumming and off-kilter riffs are great, but what makes this band are the vocals (which I didn't care much for when they were called At The Drive-In). He sounds like Geddy Lee but with much more passion. Then the 12 minute Santana-esque song toward the end is unexpected but kicked ass.

She.

:err:

Wait, what the fuck are you talking about?

bdo04_015.jpg

Looks like a dude to me.

Mars Volta is awful. Horrible, horrible vocals. Just annoying.

ELegy is good, yeah, but I'm with you, NAD. It's no masterpiece. Pasi's vocals don't bother me.

Early Aeternus rules in every way. No two ways about it.

NAD said:
Amorphis - Elegy
I'm struggling to make it through the 3rd track, to me this sounds identical to Tuonela: dry and boring. The vocalist and drummer are particularly terrible, but the guitars and bass are okay. I'll try again later, but apparently I just don't like this band.
*laser sight between eyes*

NAD said:
Hahahahahaha I said I'd try again later dammit! :loco:
*finger off the trigger*

NAD said:
Elegy got better.
*saftey on*

I doubt I'll ever find this a masterpiece like some of you, but it was pretty alright when I paid attention.
Masterpieces typically unveil themselves after many listens. Anything instant, and it'll end up boring you in three months.

Anyway, it can't be easy having to go through several CDs in excitement. It probably all blurs together at the beginning. I'll be in the same boat soon, but the good stuff always sifts its way out eventually.

I love your sniper routine. :lol:

JayKeeley said:
Anyway, it can't be easy having to go through several CDs in excitement. It probably all blurs together at the beginning. I'll be in the same boat soon, but the good stuff always sifts its way out eventually.
Yeah especially since I'm probably going to add a disc or seven to what I already burned you, in BSW fashion. :loco:

Dredg - El Cielo
Although I had no clue what to expect from these dudes, this is still highly unexpected. It's almost like the Gathering, sorta. Sounds very accessible on the surface but lots of stuff happening in the background. Not in the Mr. Bungle - California way which sounds like a nuclear warhead coated in sickeningly sweet frosting, rather the complexities still remain pleasant. A bit over half way now, this album will take some time to fully appreciate, but the dynamics between the variety of instruments is pretty damn cool.

Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
This makes me sweat, sounds like a wall of heat. I think I've heard these dudes before actually, the style and mood sounds really familiar. Has that creepy mood of way-out-there doom but still has some catchy elements that I can see "normal" metalheads starting off a journey into doom with them. Has a real Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland feel, which of course fucking rules.

Fuck me I have 38 CD-Rs with at least 20 more on the way. o_O

The keyboards on Epicurean Mass are MOVING MY SOUL.