CD-R writeup thread

Mike Patton / John Zorn / Dave Lombardo - 10/31/2001 bootleg

Well, ah... yes. No surprise this was a strange one, sounding like an ambient train passing through the night, or something. More white noise than music, but I certainly liked it. If I listened to it 10 more times I'd either shoot myself, fall madly in love with and subsequently hump it, or just get bored and chuck it behind the couch.

A Perfect Circle - 8/8/2003 bootleg

Blah. Not a terrible recording but not a good one either. Minimal crowd noise during songs but it sounds like this was recorded on-stage with the band going straight to the PA with no amps: in other words very hollow. Also Maynard and Billy miss a handful of notes, something they haven't done the several times I've seen them. Eh, probably just being picky since I've actually seen them in concert, wouldn't mind treasuring this if I hadn't I'm sure. :)

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

Proof that most (as in all) modern melodeth blows by the fact that this sounds more forward-thinking than most of the new drivel released today, and it's approaching 10 years old. Great production, good variety of tones throughout each song, and just plain good songwriting. The vocals are a little grating but don't detract from the music. I take back any harsh word I have said against this band due to Damage Done. :)

I'll probably have to check those out. Maybe that's why I find melodeth so stagnant, it's like a backwards genre with all the innovative stuff happening at the beginning and has been gradually digging itself into a rut ever since.

"The Mind's I" ain't exactly innovative, it's very straightforward but it RULES so that kind of makes up for it. SKYDANCER HOWEVER WHAT THE FUCK WHY DON'T YOU HAVE SKYDANCER ALREADY I WILL BEAT YOU WITH STICK or send you a CD-R if I could afford postage.

*hides* I'll probably just buy Skydancer, if it's this quality but better it's certainly worth it.

Yeah, but it's also totally original. Nothing has ever sounded like Skydancer, or well, imagine the acoustic parts of Skyclad mixed with the really speedy parts of Sabbat (UK) and some early Helloween/Iron Maiden type melodicism and death metal stuff here and there, mostly in the vocals and occasional blastbeats... All made into DT's most ambitious album ever with four different vocal styles, really epic stuff drenched in Northern atmosphere. It just fucking rules.

Adrian said:
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Great production, good variety of tones throughout each song, and just plain good songwriting. The vocals are a little grating but don't detract from the music. I take back any harsh word I have said against this band due to Damage Done. :)
Damage Done was one of those albums that served a purpose (play it loud, shelve it after 5 listens), but The Gallery is classic metal, I agree. And you hit the nail on the head with regards to the production and guitar tones. The first time I heard it, the guitar was SO melodic that I thought I was listening to keys/synths. In fact, I'm still not even sure whether they're playing through guitar synths since it sounds so bright. I love it.

@Erik - beat me with a stick. I do not own Skydancer. I'm afraid the melo-death bubble burst for me before I decided to venture any further in that direction. Based on your description, you may proceed to beat me, and beat me to a pulp because I assume it will be something I would devour?

I'll always remember the 'jump the shark' moment for me and melo-death. Two words: Omnium Gatherum. :tickled:

Skydancer is quite good. "Ebony Archways", "Alone", and one other song (something about "golden" or something) that I can't remember absolutely rule. Friden's performance was his best.

I didn't like Mind's I too much. Didn't pack the punch of The Gallery. And I still can't listen to the entire Projector album. Track #4 ruins it after 3 awesome songs. I still think Haven is a solid album. Damage Done blew rotten ass.

JayKeeley said:
I'll always remember the 'jump the shark' moment for me and melo-death. Two words: Omnium Gatherum. :tickled:
Heh, I remember that. You had quite a rant on melodeth that day. :tickled:

Damage Done I never made it through, no matter how I tried at about track number 4 or 5 I'd shitcan it. Sold it for like $9 so I'm happy.

Adrian said:
Heh, I remember that. You had quite a rant on melodeth that day. :tickled:
Well it was a 'gugs review. He said that if you were tired of the usual melo-death genre, then Omnium Gatherum was the answer. Man, I wanted to fling that shit out the window and I paid $13 for it!

I'll bet 'Gugs reviewed promos that he didn't even know he owned the proper CD of. :tickled:

He has/had 2500 CDs. I would guess that if it's 'old' then it's his personal classic. I would muster a guess that anything post 2002 was a promo review. It really doesn't matter anymore anyhow.

When's that dude coming back to the forum? Seems like he's been on sabbatical long enough.