Celtic Frost bloke on Rod Smallwood

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
From Blabbermouth:

CELTIC FROST's TOM GABRIEL FISCHER: "I Will Never Work With ROD SMALLWOOD Again!" - Nov. 20, 2002

CELTIC FROST mainman Tom Gabriel Fischer recently addressed the possibility of a reissue of the band's much-panned and widely-criticized 1988 effort, "Cold Lake", via the group's previous label Noise Records.

"Now that Rod Smallwood's Sanctuary Group has bought Modern Music/Noise Records (and I will forever regret that I had a hand in this), it will most certainly only be a question of time until the corporate henchmen smell some cash when they realize that there's something in Noise's archives that hasn't been re-issued yet," Fischer wrote on the band's official message board. "We all here are quite sure it will then be re-released ASAP with lots of artistic care and integrity...

"Sarcastic, yes, but probably not too far from the truth. It is very probable that 'Cold Lake' will one day in the future be milked for the last cent still in there, and that those CF fans who actually would like to see it in the stores again will have their day. The lack of band approval and/or cooperation won't matter a bit to those now in charge of the company.

"There was a time when I/we considered whether it would do 'Cold Lake' any good to go and remix it. It is my personal feeling, however, that the album is a lost cause. Perhaps (and it's a big perhaps) we could make it sound more like CF, but the songwriting, lyrics, line-up, cover artwork etc would all still be utterly flawed and majorly inferior to any other CF album.

"I personally think that 'Cold Lake' was our almost mandatory gigantic flop — and rightly so. As such it almost had to happen but it also should be left alone. Beginning at the latest with 'Vanity/Nemesis', I spent my energy looking forward and trying to write and record albums that deserve the name 'CELTIC FROST' much more than 'Cold Lake' ever did. And I enjoyed that process a lot. I believe learning from failure is an extremely essential experience. As with everything in CF, we like to do things spectacularly, even falling flat on our faces. :)

"There's one other glitch with regard to a proposed re-working of 'Cold Lake': if I am lucky enough to have any say in it, I will never ever in my life work with Rod Smallwood again. And I know I am not alone in this."

I thought that was quite funny! :) Sad, but certainly true.