Celtic Frost

This thread is about Celtic Frost.

Fuck Celtic Frost, they suck!

To Mega Therion: have had it for 2+ years, have listened to it more often than aesthetic value would deem necessary, painfully trying to probe the worth that too many metal fans find in spades.

Those 'golden apples of the sun' remain elusive to me. I feel like I am trying to write poetry about NASCAR when listening to this. Looking for profound philosophical musings in an American Pie movie. Hell, just a nipple-slip at halftime -- anything redeemable in this interminable sludge, the muddy dregs of a rising metal scene in the mid-80s.

Sure, it is influential. It inspired many of the death/doom/black metal bands that I listen to today. Wow. Wonderful. I'm supposed to applaud them on this, right? So I will. Thank you Celtic Frost. Thank Lucifer that so many bands took it upon themselves to vastly improve the atrocious shit on such albums as this (their defining moment, most say) into stuff that is so much better. It is like the hot chick whose mother weighs no less than 300 pounds and looks like one of those goblins out of the movie Labyrinth.

So where does that leave this album? Mandatory? Uh. . . no, I'll pass. The next time someone tells me that this is 'mandatory is any TRUE black metal fan's collection' gets a bootheel in their eye. A work of 'genius' that is 'true art'? If this is true art then Beethoven, Da Vinci and Shakespeare are laughing it away in the realm of the Immortals.

Frederich Nietzsche said that "Without music life would be a mistake."
Frederich Nietzsche never heard To Mega Therion.

Did I mention that the vocals suck? Or that the tuned-down guitars sounds like a crowded bathroom at Taco Bell? The lyrics: not so bad. Tom Warrior shouts "Hey!" a lot. Kris Kross said more profound catchphrases in the song "Jump!", but I will still give Tom credit. Shouting "Hey!" a lot. . . that's innovative, baby!

I was going to say something about the songwriting, but apparently there is none to speak of.

Don't get me wrong! The album isn't terrible; it's just shitty. Not bad enough to hate with a passion, like Manowar albums, but still a CD to be ignored in my collection. If anyone wants to buy, I'm selling!

I would rather listen to the Pretty Woman soundtrack than listen to this piece of rhinocerous droppings again. I'm serious.

It may be a classic; if so, I would much rather listen to Reign in Blood or Killing Is My Business. . . It may be innovative and inspirational; if so, then I utter one word: Bathory. Damn, now I'm being unfair by comparing the two! I hope Quorthon doesn't take it personally. I do feel kinda bad, kinda sorry for Celtic Frost. . . it's like comparing a PeeWee team to the New York Yankees. Or comparing PeeWee Herman to. . . well, anybody. Unfair.

In summary: I think I will go and play Super Nintendo. Maybe eat some lunch pretty soon. Go out later tonight, party. Read some Keats. Or just lay in my room, aimlessly staring at the ceiling. Might call some people.

Oh yeah, I won't be listening to Celtic Frost while doing any of this.

Though I found your rant to be very funny, I'll take To Mega Therion over Killing Is My Business anyday.

Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return, To Mega Therion, and Into The Pandemonium are awesome albums. I remember the first time I heard Frost, Circle of the Tyrants was on a mix tape my friends older brother made (sometime in the latter 80s). I thought it was the most brutal song I ever heard. It's no wonder it's been covered many times.

To each his own though. I love Celtic Frost, you love Keats.
:p

That was a hilarious rant, but I have to side with phyre on this one. Oh yeah, and BWD, please PM me so I can provide you a mailing address for you to send those obviously fine North Carolina drugs you're doing.

if these drugs your selling can make me hate CF, then im going to drive to NC and murder you for them. Okay so im not a giant Celtic Frost fan but Morbid Tales and To Mega therion are pretty bad ass. Circle Of Tyrants is a really great song too.

Black Winter Day said:
If anyone wants to buy, I'm selling!
Need I say that I have it already and that it is one of my favourite thrash (not black metal. Whoever calls To Mega Therion black metal -- or crappy -- should have their ears and eyes checked) albums? I mean, I call myself a metal fan, so...

:p

markgugs said:
That's easy. Nobody ever counts Dreamlord.
Touché. I'm just waiting for neal to come in and say "celtic frost? youre all livin in the fucking past."

phyre said:
(not black metal. Whoever calls To Mega Therion black metal -- or crappy -- should have their ears and eyes checked)

why eyes? i don't need to see in order to discern that this is a cacophonic wet fart of an album. besides, i already tore them out in agony so i would never have to look at tom warrior's pic in the booklet ever again. he looks like the guy who works at the S&S gas station.

Oh well, yeah, who reads post titles anyway... Sure, well, whatever. If you like Darkthrone's "Panzerfaust" but not Celtic Frost, you're funny.

--phyre (wearing his Celtic Frost longsleeve with pride)

Black Winter Day said:
Sure, it is influential. It inspired many of the death/doom/black metal bands that I listen to today. Wow. Wonderful. I'm supposed to applaud them on this, right? So I will. Thank you Celtic Frost. Thank Lucifer that so many bands took it upon themselves to vastly improve the atrocious shit on such albums as this (their defining moment, most say) into stuff that is so much better.

Funnily enough, I find myself saying that about Venom sometimes :D I must admit, Venom are likeable - they're English, humouros, and got some good songs. Generally though their first two albums are quite poor. Raw, aggressive simple Black Metal would work if combined with good songs. And they're not that heavy. But this is about Celtic Frost.... :p

why eyes? i don't need to see in order to discern that this is a cacophonic wet fart of an album. besides, i already tore them out in agony so i would never have to look at tom warrior's pic in the booklet ever again. he looks like the guy who works at the S&S gas station.

He is an ugly fuck, indeed. I like my Metallers to look cute :p

I think at this point I should actually talk about Celtic Frost. I did download a song of theirs once, many years ago, but can't remember for the life of me what it was called. An early one, though, I know. It was very dull and boring, much like a Mordbid Angel song I downloaded once. And of course we all know how pants Cold Lake is :D but, that album means I can add Celtic Frost to Pantera and Korn in the list of "Bands That Think They're Well Hardcore But Are In Fact Fucking Pussies" :cool:

Don't get me wrong! The album isn't terrible; it's just shitty. Not bad enough to hate with a passion, like Manowar albums, but still a CD to be ignored in my collection.

Ok...you just jettisoned all your credibility. I'm going to side with everyone else in this thread now - HAVE YOU EVEN GOT EARS?!?! OR R U JUST h0m0?!