Challenging Multitracks for Practice

DarkAudioProds

Audio Engineer
Jan 7, 2018
Colorado, USA
I decided to go back and re-mix an old song my band did a few years ago, before my mixing was decent. The guitar tracks were recorded with waaaay too much gain and poor eq so therein lies the challenge. Getting them to sit well without cutting too much of the body is difficult. I would really like to see what you guys come up with to get around that. Happy mixing!

Original mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyf5swo03lg8r3z/Sweet Whisper Master 4.mp3?dl=0

And here are the multitracks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpe5tiuy22kiomn/.Sweet Whisper - Deadlift.zip?dl=0

Tempo is 185

Last edited:
Hello everybody!
The original mix sounds is not good - bad balance and horrible sound of guitars (sorry :))

Nichiz - In your mix there is not enough high frequency.

Here is my mix:

Last edited:
Hello everybody!
The original mix sounds is not good - bad balance and horrible sound of guitars (sorry :))

Nichiz - In your mix there is not enough high frequency.

Here is my mix:

Yeah maybe, maybe not. Your mix have a lot of problems as well. Decent balance but weird sound. Sounds like u throw the mix in a container and rerecorded it there. i don't like it but you probably do. Different Flavor.

Yeah maybe, maybe not. Your mix have a lot of problems as well. Decent balance but weird sound. Sounds like u throw the mix in a container and rerecorded it there. i don't like it but you probably do. Different Flavor.

I do not really like my mix, but your mix sounds like a demo. It's not about flavor.

I do not really like my mix, but your mix sounds like a demo. It's not about flavor.
sound better than yours maybe. And BTW how does mine sound like a DEMO compared to yours? i like to know what makes the difference?

Last edited:
The constructive part was most definitely be left out. I'm still learning how to deal with bad recordings. I just won't take clients with bad tracks at this point. I make sure all my recordings are solid. This was an OLD recording, no DIs and poor tone. The "original" mix was done because I was revisiting it. I thought I might put it up to give some guys practice with bad tracks like I would want, not so y'all could tear each other down. If you hear something, help them out, don't tell them they're bad. This isn't gear slutz. We are all learning, and that's what the purpose of this track is for!

Thx for uploading, here's my take.
The bass is pretty loud, I would work on controlling that a bit more. There are some delays on the guitars that just kinda make them not clear, hard to focus on them and it's drowning out the vocals. If you could work on that and get everything sitting together a bit better it will sound pretty good!

Did a new mix just for fun. change all drums, reamp the bass and started from scratch.
Definitely better than the first one. I feel like the bass is really heavy and over powering the guitars. If you lowered the bass, and used a little less reverb on the drums, this would sound really solid! Good work!

yeah. your bang on. did some changes like u advice and some few tweaks here and there. now im happy with the result.
Dude, sounds good! I really like it! Only thing is the snare has just a bit too much verb for my taste, but I like how you tamed the guitars! What'd you use for that?