changing strings with floyd rose.

Dead Eternity

Jan 25, 2002
Munich, Germany
www.deadeternity.net
I have got some normal gauge strings (some 10-46ers) on my standard tuned IBANEZ RG520 at the moment.

What if I wanted to put some with a higher gauge on my guitar?
In how far do I have to justify the springs to keep my neck straight and my floyd rose even?

About changing your strings gauge, you have to make sure that your bridge will suit with the new gauge. If not, you'll have problems when you want to lock the strings at the bridge.
About the 2nd question, I don't know how to answer. I just change my strings every 6 months to maintain the capability of my guitar.

It won't be a problem if you change your strings to a bigger gauge. The problem is when you change to a smaller gauge and the strings wont fit with the bridge.

If you're tuning down to a lower tone, you'll have to adjust the tension of the springs that hold the floyd rose, inside the body, to the right position. That takes some time, but when it's done, its perfect.

If you're putting on thicker strings and want to stay in the same tuning then you'll have to counteract the increased tension which you can do by scerewing the spring claw in the tremelo cavity furthur into the body. You may have to adjust the truss rod a bit as well to keep the same action, but the main thing is that you want to make sure you remember what level your trem was at before you changed strings. Justy keep retuning the guitar and adjusting the springs untill it's at the level you want.

If you're detuning then you'll find that going down a step is roughly equivalent to using a string gauge up in thickness...

You may want to adjust the truss rod at some point as well to keep your neck straight. Increased pull on the neck will increase the neckbow slightly (and you need a bit of bow in the neck), so you may want to compensate (tighten the truss rod slightly). If you're not confident about doing this yourself or don't think it's necessary then either get someone professional to do it or leave it alone.

Oh, and string gauge has nothing to do with wether it'll fit the bridge and lock properly on a floyd rose. If you're having problems locking the nut and staying in tune then check the threads on the nut screws, and think about installing a retainer bar behind the nut (it does help keeping everything in tune when you lock the nut pads. Honest)

I do this to all my guitars. Floyd rose only, I take the middle spring out, I adjust the bolts for the springs tension, then I adjust my bridge, I use light Guage and this combination is killer, smooth playing and a great feel, you can pull off some huge bends by adjusting your guitar this way.