Changing the volume for different parts in Reaper...

MultiM

Jun 28, 2013
Paris, France
Hi Guys :) :
I want to change the volume for a specific part in the song without changing the other parts, and without changing the volume fader of the track, can I do this?
Maybe it's related to envelopes or something?

Thanks.

Did you ever hear about automation?^^ In Reaper it's called Track envelopes/automation and is accessible through the trim button. Then tick volume and edit the line where you need the changes.

Automation.

OR.

You can split the track and adjust the volume of the part you want by click the top of the audio region and dragging down. You'll see a blue(?) line which represents the volume. I've done this before, but realistically you're better off keeping the track "glued" and automating.

As others have said, there's a few ways to do this, but volume envelope automation would be the easiest and most preferred way. Take some time to read over the envelopes/automation sections of the Reaper manual; if you continue mixing long term you'll make very frequent use of these options for much more than just volume changes.

Automation.

OR.

You can split the track and adjust the volume of the part you want by click the top of the audio region and dragging down. You'll see a blue(?) line which represents the volume. I've done this before, but realistically you're better off keeping the track "glued" and automating.

Important, if you do what you said you're changing the gain pre-fx, if you use automation it's post FX. That would affect how you're hitting your plugins, specially compressors and such.

What he said, what you are seing as a waveform is what is hitting your vsts, the volume automation line is basically automating your track fader

Important, if you do what you said you're changing the gain pre-fx, if you use automation it's post FX. That would affect how you're hitting your plugins, specially compressors and such.

Yeah, I totally forgot to mention that and I knew about this. I guess I was assuming maybe he was working with rendered/printed tracks.