Post Faders in Reaper?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
So, I have a track with a compressor and eq attached to it.

When I want to turn it down using the fader in the mixer, it affects the tone--I think it could be just lowering the signal that is going to the comp/eq. Are the faders in the Reaper mixer pre fades or something?

The only way I can think of maybe fixing this problem is sending it to a bus and controlling the volume from there.

What do you dudes think?

There should be a post fader in reaper, but i don't remember where. Another solution would be to control the volume with an output gain knob in the compressor or in the eq (if there are any)

I kiiinnd of thought the second thing you said was an option, but I didn't really try it.

Thanks man. =)

I think I'll do that to play it safe unless somebody knows where the post faders are located.

Yeah, the faders are all post-FX. I don't think it's even possible to change that, as I've seen a few feature requests on the Reaper forum for the option.

At any rate, just add Reaper's JS Volume/Pan plugin at the end of the track's effect chain. Problem solved.

Hey, I has anyone figured this out? I didn't even realize this was a problem until a friend pointed out that every time I raise/lower a fader, it changes the input gain on my plugins. Pretty stupid.

I'm confused.

I don't have this problem.

You can change Pre/Post Fader, Pre/Post Pan etc in the "io" settings.

As I recall all channel inserts default to pre-fader meaning whatever effect is on the channel insert will not have it's input or output levels effected when the channels fader is moved.

That's easy enough to verify. Look at the in and output level on the effect as you move the fader.

I haven't used Reaper in a while, but assume the master channel's inserts are post fader.. Whatever is on the master channels insert's, ...it's in and output level will be effected by the masters channels fader. Again,.. easy enough to verify. Previous post in this thread have it backwards.

Speaking of master channel faders.....am I the only person on the face of the planet that never touches it? I actually wish there was a way to lock it because once in a while I'll accidentally bump it up or down.

Speaking of master channel faders.....am I the only person on the face of the planet that never touches it? I actually wish there was a way to lock it because once in a while I'll accidentally bump it up or down.

I never touch the master fader at all under any circumstance.

I'm still relatively new to Reaper, but I noticed in my set up (which is the default set up) there is a separate automation envelope for pre-fx volume. So I can only assume the main automation envelope for volume (and the fader) is post-fx. I can't find any controls to switch the fader from pre to post-fx. I also tried adjusting the fader with ReaComp on the track and it didn't affect the level going into it. So unless there was a change in your DAW, I can only imagine it is just your perception of the tone changing (Fletcher-Munson curve?).

Technically, you can mix without touching any channel faders at all.

Yeah, the faders are all post-FX. I don't think it's even possible to change that, as I've seen a few feature requests on the Reaper forum for the option.

At any rate, just add Reaper's JS Volume/Pan plugin at the end of the track's effect chain. Problem solved.

I think you have the option to make them pre- or post- in the track preferences pane on each track, no? The same window where you can use ins/outs/etc.

This is the most poignant piece of information in this thread.

Also, it would be cool if you could set your tracks to pre on the fly. Would make vocal riding a lot easier.

There's the automation lane that will update the wave image in real time. Super handy

There's the automation lane that will update the wave image in real time. Super handy

Love that function. Seriously the best function within reaper for leveling anything with broad strokes. The riding thing I'm thinking of is with my hand on the fader and with the click of a button going from pre to post. Could add a new dimension to the mix process by taking the level out of the compressor, or pushing the saturation hard when you need it to.