Charging pickup battery through jack.

Full_Tilt

Jul 16, 2008
Does anyone here use rechargeable Li-ion pp3 batteries for their EMG's ?
Im already putting together a special lead to charge one through the guitar jack socket via a stereo jack connected to a pp3 clip to go to my battery charger . means I never have to open up my back plate again. (if it works....)

I think someone on here already does it but I never got around to asking him exactly how he does it .
I just installed two emg's in my guitar , they end up going to a three terminal (stereo type) jack socket where the battery is wired so...... I put my stereo (balanced lead) into the guitar jack and with my multi meter picked up about 9 v off the other end of the stereo lead on the jack where the shaft is divided by an extra partition (not the tip) theoretically if you remove the jack plug and wire a pp3 battery clip to the + / - making sure you wire it the right way (polarity) you could then connect that clip to the terminal of a 9v battery charger .

I've not done this but I've thought about it. I've also toyed with the idea of a DC connector not only for charging but powering. Sounds impractical having another cable for power but it wouldn't bother me if I was just rehearsing.

But they do last longer than regular batteries
That's my philosophy
Also Li-ion dont suffer from memory effect so you can part charge them as many times as you like without effecting their charge capacity . Mine hold just over 10v
But granted they will not last for ever .

Steve Vai has this on some of his guitars. Not for pickups but for LED's and such. Just use a stereo jack, and use the ring terminal along with a stereo cable for the power. Rig up a box to plug into with the transformer. That's all you need.

Pontless in my opinion- I've got several active guitars and have never had to change the batteries on any of them more than once so far- I've had some of them with regular playing( several times a week) for years. Good idea but I think its a solution to problem that doesn't really exist