CHARLES J + PHILDABEARD = NEWEST MIX! PISSED OFF HARDCORE - ALL NATURAL + REAL!!!!!

Charles J

New Metal Member
Oct 12, 2008
Florida
YOW dudes, I don't post our work done here at Sonic Assault too much but this band is TOO badass not to share!!!!

http://lambgoat.com/features/104/Forty-Winters-Return-to-the-Earth-song-premiere

Band called "Forty Winters" from FL, a few hours from where we're set up shop!

I loved producing this band. Finally something NOT Deathmetal/Core or just brutally heavy all around; but one of my FAVORITE genre's, PISSED OFF FUCKING BRUTAL HARDCORE!!!

=D

No critiques or anything. I *KNOW* it's not perfect.

I *KNOW* the vocals are too low and the cymbals a bit too BRASH and too loud, but; I wasn't after PERFECTION.

More of an AESTHETIC (althought the OCD ASSHOLE ENGINEER THAT I AM) wishes I had a time machine to rectify those issues, hahahaha. Had to get the FINALS to the label in no LONGER than ONE DAY from the day they informed me of this (told Friday evenning, needed the FINAL, COMPLETE EP by the end of saturday) STRESS CITY!!!!

This mix has probably 15 or less plugins on it. All of it is NATURAL aside from 100% replacement on the KICK (just because I prefer a 100% consistent kick to keep my low-end strong).

80% of the processing was through our (growing) collection of older, quirky analog outboard.....

Some 1073 EQ clones, Shure Level Loc, DBX 161VU + 160a, Valley People Dynamite, 50's Tube Mixers, etc.... haha.

SO.....ENJOY!

(P.S. - check out the fucking GUITAR TONE. FUCKKKKKKK
PhiltheBeard out did himself this time on dialing in those tone for me. Don't have a SINGLE plug on them!!!!)

This was one of the easiest tones I have ever gotten. Tight playing plus the guitar we used was what really did it on this one.

We used an RGA121 with emg HET set pickups in it.

YESSSSSSSS!

ALL BOW TO THE HET SET PICKUPS!!!!!! I love those fucking things.

Doesn't hurt they are in Phils most BRUTAL looking HOT PINK RGA121 Prestige
RGA121H.JPG

not his personal ONE, but that same exact guitar; aesthetically.

LOVEDITTTTTTTTTTT

THE CHUG IS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! :OMG::worship::kickass:
I like the snare in a different kind of way, it sounds super raw. I miss the really raw mixes like this, where you can really FEEL the music. Digging the mix, I think the vocals are fine level wise, the cymbals are a little in your face but I get your decision to keep them at that level. Adds to the broootal :kickass:

THE CHUG IS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! :OMG::worship::kickass:
I miss the really raw mixes like this, where you can really FEEL the music. :kickass:

This is EXACTLY, EXACTLY why I'm so over the bubble gum metal bullshit lego paint by number mixes.

Circa 1998 - 2002 or 2003 is my favorite era in modern music.

Most especially, 'metal' wise, being ROSS ROBINSON.

Still want to keep the drums pretty tight, add my own little tastes and kind of just next level it a little bit in terms of melding more modern techniques with the just get the best performance and track it well kind of methodology.

That vibes really nice...really a pitty about the vox and the oh though.
Snare has a nice roomyness to it...is that reverb or room samples blended in? or does that come from the loud OHs?

Bass grinds away like a mofo haha, awesome!

CJ are you posting comments about your own work on Lambgoat?

"THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING, AUTHENTIC,PISSED OFF BRUTAL HARDCORE -TYPE BAND AND PRODUCTION IVE HEARD IN A WHILEEEE.

The natural, dirty vibe the production has is what this genre NEEDS.

=D

<3"

That vibes really nice...really a pitty about the vox and the oh though.
Snare has a nice roomyness to it...is that reverb or room samples blended in? or does that come from the loud OHs?

Bass grinds away like a mofo haha, awesome!

Thanks bro =D

And agreed but I can justify it as an artistic 'preference' hahaha. CANNOT ADMIT DEFEAT OF TIME! =D

It's mostly coming from a tube AT3060 mono room I crushed through our level loc, a FAR stereo pair of LDCS smashed with....can't recall, was a plug though and my close rooms went to the dynamite. came out gorgeous. our live room sounds 5x bigger than it is. great acoustics + proper micing does it man! =D

CJ are you posting comments about your own work on Lambgoat?

"THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING, AUTHENTIC,PISSED OFF BRUTAL HARDCORE -TYPE BAND AND PRODUCTION IVE HEARD IN A WHILEEEE.

The natural, dirty vibe the production has is what this genre NEEDS.

=D

<3"

YES!!!!!!!

If you know me, you know it was me. I left my signature heart!!!

Possibly I should clarify upon further though. Whaddya think?

Because, YOU knew it was me. LOL

<3,
CJ

YES!!!!!!!

If you know me, you know it was me. I left my signature heart!!!

Possibly I should clarify upon further though. Whaddya think?

Because, YOU knew it was me. LOL

<3,
CJ

Honestly, I think it's kind of in bad taste or at least a bit dishonest, kind of like a band posting an 'anonymous' review of their own album on iTunes or a dude making a fake facebook account to boost his own like/friend number or post flattering comments on his page (I actually know people like this :Smug: ).

Honestly, I think it's kind of in bad taste or at least a bit dishonest, kind of like a band posting an 'anonymous' review of their own album on iTunes or a dude making a fake facebook account to boost his own like/friend number or post flattering comments on his page (I actually know people like this :Smug: ).

EW. I despise those people. I didn't even know such things were ENJOYABLE to people. I rectified it.

Also, first time (literally) ever posting on lambgoat and I didn't realize you could specify a name. LOL. oops!

but seriously Jeff, give me your thoughts on the production / mixing aesthetic

If I'm perfectly honest on that end, I'm not really into it. The cymbals are really harsh and squashed and I don't think the snare or the snare room fits the track that well. It sounds cool in the beginning when you want the bigness of the room but when the track starts to get busy it throws me off. The guitars and kick are really cool, bass grit connects the two well, but I'm getting massive ear fatigue from the whole thing.

If I'm perfectly honest on that end, I'm not really into it. The cymbals are really harsh and squashed and I don't think the snare or the snare room fits the track that well. It sounds cool in the beginning when you want the bigness of the room but when the track starts to get busy it throws me off. The guitars and kick are really cool, bass grit connects the two well, but I'm getting massive ear fatigue from the whole thing.

With ya on the fatigue and OH issue. Only thing I wish I could have check into with more time for SURE....the hats KILL ME. 2 dB down with some subtle de-essing would have easily cured that. but alas..

All the drums are natural, aside from the kick which is fully replaced.

I had this type of sound in my head so we tuned the snare up and tried to really automate the mono room AT3060 tube LDC AND position it to get a LOT of the snare, I really had the Level-Loc just CLAMPING down on ever snare hit.

That thing is so brutal, the attack of the snare is the loudest thing in the waveform. so that comes in heavily in the slower 8 note bits and higher in certains parts and back down quite low on faster stuff and fills.

Thanks though dude! I LOVE honesty. Only way to improve.

The hit hat is loud as fuck! the snare sounds smashed to death by compression. The guitar tone is cool but not digging the drum sound.

I agree with Jeff on this for the most part. At the start, it sounds super awesome and the drum sound suits. Then, when more things enter the mix it gets a little too much and things start clashing.
The cymbals are pretty horrendous though, no offence dude, but I didn't want to listen to that song too long or my ears will be too tired to do anything today.

However, I dug the guitar sound a lot, was pretty huge.

Sounds sick. I agree that it is a tiny bit fatiguing but it's also got a really aggressive character that I like about it.

Is that a little Putrid Pool I hear in the snare? :D

The guitar sound is fucking awesome

Only problem I have is how loud the cymbals are.
If they were lower, vocals [and everything else] would also be in their proper places