Chasing the 'perfect' mix

Shadow Walker: yes, but YOU are a musician/engineer :) My friends used to call me a "sound nazi" because I used to only love records that sounded great back in the 90s and I didn't like "raw" mixes as much. Eventually I came to realize that it isn't important for the majority (99%) of the fans. Most people listen to stuff on their laptops, in their cars, on TV etc. and most people simply can't distinguish a good mix from a mediocre mix.

No, I was doing this before starting to record and before even having a band. I had minimal experience with playing, which is something common for a majority of the people who are into rock/heavier music.

No, I was doing this before starting to record and before even having a band. I had minimal experience with playing, which is something common for a majority of the people who are into rock/heavier music.

How do you explain that people still LOVE records like Reign in Blood, Ride The Lightning, Vulgar Display of Power, which all (by today's standards) sound rather mediocre?

How do you explain that people still LOVE records like Reign in Blood, Ride The Lightning, Vulgar Display of Power, which all (by today's standards) sound rather mediocre?

That is very true. I was blasting Cowboys From Hell today in the car, thinnest and fizziest tone ever, but who cares? It's some of the best music ever written.

Cowboys from Hell sounds great
Reign in Blood sounds great

Vibe vibe vibe
atmosphere
mood
feeling
unique :)

Times and traits change. All these albums you mentioned were considered to sound kick-ass when they came out or slightly afterwards.

It's the same as all the triangular/rectangular supercars of the 70s/early 80s, that today many would consider ugly and repulsive yet at the time they where mind-blowing and awesome.