Cheap, good bass for metal?

B36arin

Dec 1, 2008
I couldn't find a thread like this with a quick search, so here it goes. Can anybody recommend me a solid bass for recording in the 4-500 euro range?

I've been considering picking up a bass for a long time now, but I don't want to spend too much on it since it's my first bass and I don't know to what extent I'm actually going to use it. I'm getting bored with always hearing guitar without bass when I write/record myself, and I don't fancy programming bass.

I want something that sounds as nice as possible for recording, I will mostly use it to record my own stuff but it would be cool if it was solid enough that clients could use it with success as well. A five string or long-scale bass is strongly preferred since I want to tune it to B standard.

+1 to Ibanez. Go used so you save some $$$ and the resale is better if you decide not to keep it.

I would go at least with an SR505 though so you can get the Bartolini pickups. But it is a damn solid bass.

Of all the ones I own and have recorded, IF another bass is better, it is only for one particular style.

Spector Legends are pretty good too.

Don't know how cheap is cheap, but the cheaper line below the Legends is alright, I guess. Performers.

The Squier Vintage Modified is alright too if you're going for something more "universal".

I used to have an LTD B-155 which was sounded great, but the fret edges were a bit sharp.

Tried this Harley Benton bass from Thomann recently. Alder body, maple neck - it left my Squier Vintage Modified and a friend's Ibanez BTB for dead.
7962120_800.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_b_550_black_progressive_series.htm

Can't get much cheaper at 150 euro :kickass:
Whoa that looks pretty sexy! Might be worth the extra shipping, exchange rate, and all that....

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitar6.html
Anyone ever try these?
Pretty standard looking jazz bass for $170 and all the reviews I've seen on them are good. I might just get one because it's so cheap.
They recommend buying a case with it that's $55-65 and around $25 for shipping.
Could be a nice 6 stringer for $260.

Thanks for the responses guys! There is not much of a used market over here where I live, so it'll probably have to be ordered online. That cheap Harley Benton bass is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, probably going to pull the trigger on one in the next couple of days.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitar6.html
Anyone ever try these?
Pretty standard looking jazz bass for $170 and all the reviews I've seen on them are good. I might just get one because it's so cheap.
They recommend buying a case with it that's $55-65 and around $25 for shipping.
Could be a nice 6 stringer for $260.
"Looks" pretty good. SX is the cheapest of Rondo's brand. I haven't played that bass but I have played an SX guitar. It was cheap and felt cheap in an odd way. But it worked and sounded fine. I think good strings and a good setup it would have been more than useable.

I had a Douglas bass and with some work it was pretty awesome. I had to file the bridge because it wouldn't go as low as I liked and installed a neck shim. A bit of fret end dressing (all guitars do, I live in the desert) and it was pretty rad!

So plan on a setup, restring, and worst case upgrade electronics as you grow into it. Hell for that price it might be nice just to have a around.

I know Ermz hates them but my VM Jazz kicks ass at £250. Would be even better with some EMG JVXs in it.