Looking for a good metal bass...

I'm mainly a bassist and having owned three Spectors, a Jazz and a weird hybrid with musicman pickups I have to say that all the basses are equally capable of producing good metal sounds. Personally good metal tones come from new strings and digging in hard. You can even get great sounds without humbuckers (eg. a Jazz was used on a lot of Opeth albums, Jason Newsted used a Sadowsky on a few metallica albums I believe)

Having said that, my Spectors sound way bigger than my other basses. :lol:

If you can find an early 90s Fernandes lawsuit Jazz bass, they are amazing. I scored one for $175 here in California off Craigslist, they're made in Japan and they rival American Fenders. Fernandes WAS the Fender Japan factory in the 80s and kept producing the designs as Fernandes in the early 90s until they were sued by Fender and settled out of court.

i bought an sr505 off e bay a while back, for just over $200...AMAZING for the price i paid!!!

actually i think the neck on it is a lot more comfortable to play than a 4 string as well, i have it strung with an extra high string

I don't know the bass, but Ibanez makes quality products.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb-75ltd3ts.html

I own that bass. It's great stock. New strings make a night and day difference in bass tone.

If you're not satisfied, get it, put active EMG jazz pups in it and you're set.

Gonna have to agree here, I picked up one of their 5 string fretless Js about 2 1/2 years ago and I absolutely love it (only thing I did was change the bridge). Wish I had some clips of it with new strings (mine are like a year old :erk: but I'm too cheap to buy new ones atm)

Ibanez is great for the price IMO, although I've played a sr505 and didn't quite like the tone, a bit too bassy and with no "personality" for my taste if you get what i mean. but for the price range you say OP, try out the ibanez and ltd basses, good stuff for cheap price.

Of course A fender jazz is like the greatest, but for your price range you're gonna have to go for epiphone, can't really say how loyal the jazzes are to the fenders, but I love the EBS and les paul epiphones. Actually I'm getting an epiphone les paul bass next year hopefully

My next bass will be a ESP/LTD.
Sound + playability = awesome!

I have an Ibanez EDB which is great too but in general I like those ESPs a lot.
Music Man offers sick basses too... (for a fricking high price...)

Here you go:

bass-set-metal.jpg

Bumping an old thread but Greg is this the one you mainly use...espcially on BB cover...love the growl on that track.

I don't know the bass, but Ibanez makes quality products.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb-75ltd3ts.html

I own that bass. It's great stock. New strings make a night and day difference in bass tone.

If you're not satisfied, get it, put active EMG jazz pups in it and you're set.