check out my production on this track

Thats pretty raw, good job. It's like newer Napalm Death but slower and simplified. I would boost the global highs.

First off I must say cool to hear some hardcore up on the board. Next I dig the song and like the guitars. Vocs sound good too. Also cool to see DFW up on the board I used to live in Arlington now I am in LA. Following is just my opnion and notes no hard feekings feel free to disagree of course.

I am really not digging the compression on the snare makes the drum really realy "flat". I mean not allot of "pop/snap" just allot of "pfffft".

Also the EQ on the cymbals sounds off, mabey it's the stereo image (Hi-Hats are like the same volume in both L and R channels how did you mic them? XY? ORTF? or some combo of your own? what mics did you use as overheads. Could be a phase issue between the two mics or it could be how you have them EQ'd or mabey an EQ in the drum bus.

Finally the master you did or the compressor/maximizer you are running in the master bus is killing your track. I can tell the kick was loud and thumpy at mix down but the brickwall you tossed on it makes everything sound out of place and the kick gets buried I still hear the click but lose the body on the kick.
This master has also resulted in some over emphasis on the fuzzy break up on the guitras distortion making the mix a little harsh, cymbals have the same fate as well. Come to think of it 80% off the issues with the snare and cymbals I listed in the paragraph above this one could be do to that mastering compressor what did you use to master or in the master bus???

My advice, work with the EQ and stereo image on the cymbals. Then go back and rework the guitars, kick and snare EQ and Compression on each track until you get close to the percived volume you want as well as you tone. That way you dont have to push the shit out of the mix in mastering process or in the master buss (not sure what you did). You will get the power and volume you want and the tone will be perserved. If you want more specific ideas about how to do this just ask. Or search the board.

Good job man, keep it heavy!

ehh. talking out of your ass. let me guess, you went to dallas sound lab or full sail, something like that. there is no "brick wall" comp. the mastering eng. is very well respected. thanx 4 the comment though. d. braxton henry

dbrax said:
ehh. talking out of your ass. let me guess, you went to dallas sound lab or full sail, something like that. there is no "brick wall" comp. the mastering eng. is very well respected. thanx 4 the comment though. d. braxton henry

Hey man, you asked for advice. Don't get pissed off when you get advice you don't want to hear. d. braxton henry! :Spin:

dbrax said:

Hey man, no need to make a personal attack here. If you were not looking for advice you should not post here. I have learned alot by reading others opinions you should open your mind and do the same. What did you expect everyone to hear it and just praise how awesome it is?

As far as schooling goes I am afraid you are wrong. I have actually never finished school for engineering or production (never went to Full Sail or DSL). Just apprentenced a few guys in Kansas and Nebraksa.

As far as the mastering goes. If you read my comment in detail you will see there are 2 reasons the master is an issue. One is because the mix is shabby. The other could be the compresson tech used during the mastering. Meaning I am sure the "very well respected" mastering engineer could have had excellent results on a better mix. Or the mastering eng biffed the master and pushed it too hard. If you are telling me the mastering eng is a pro and it is not his work that is causing the issue then...well.. it must be your mix. So I still suggest following my original advice.

As far as "brickwalling" goes pretty much every modern metal album is thrown through a compressor that brickwalls the master mix in some way or another. When done on a good mix it has no real negative effects. Have you looked at the wav for of you final product in a wav or aiff editor (not sure if you are PC or Mac) there are points were no dynamic areas exsist and it is all flat tops. Now I will say again this would not be an issue if the mix was really really good.

I mean come on man just take a look. Here is you track (looks like this about 80% of the song):
ScreenShot003.bmp

Here is the loudest and most heavy part of the first cut off the Killswitch album end of heartache:
ScreenShot002.bmp

See the difference? look at all the flat tops in your final product and the lack of any room to breath. The Killswitch master still has the same overall "volume" but look no flat tops and room to breath. Result of a good mix and an amazing master.

Bottom line if you can't handle the advice don't post.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Now now guys, don't start a riot. :)

Haha yeah I agree, so dBraxton if you have the urge to lay on any personal attacks please PM me instead of doing it here. Sorry in advance to all if this gets out of hand. If you look at the first paragraph of my original reply you can see I had the best intentions, I replied objectively and tried to not start a "riot" ha ha

easy there buddy. it was supposed to be a universal joke. except for the brick wall comment. it is funny how most people do get on the defensive when asked if they went to full sail. hehe. i do appreciate the comments, like i said @ the end of my last post. off to go do some more mono records. another "tounge & cheeker". d. braxton henry