Check out this Jazz band I recorded.

jazz?

edit: beautiful mix :D very classy and balanced. Did you record the band playing live or one instrument at a time? Did you do much editing?

jazz?

edit: beautiful mix :D very classy and balanced. Did you record the band playing live or one instrument at a time? Did you do much editing?

Yeah :D

Well it was my first time ever doing something outside of metal or rock.

Actually i recorded everything individually, which was something a little different for the band since they are use to the whole live improv, but none the less we managed. They were mostly trained musicians and very few editing was done, recorded to a click track and everything came out natural and smooth.

It's got a metal style production to it, you can definitely tell that. I wouldn't say it's bad by any means, different though.

If you wanted to try and get a more jazzy vibe out of it; go for room mics only on the drums and maybe some of the snare mic if needed. Don't go so wide with the drums (especially toms) and ease up on the compression a tad too

Aye, this is beautiful indeed. Bass sounds a bit muddy and dull though, toms sound a tad boomy as well. Everything else sounds really good! Sax could maybe come up a little? Just half a dB (or maybe it's the rhythm guitar that's clouding it, not really sure). You could probably also boost the highs a bit on the lead that comes in around 3 min.

Overall good job, must be very inspiring to work with such talented musicians.

Earth shattering mix dude! Only complaint is that it needs more sub drops. In all seriousness it's actually an enjoyable mix. I don't come into contact with a whole lot of jazz so I can't really grade it in that regard. Doesn't matter though, sounds nice.

Yeah i got to say that bass wasn't all that to begging with(Pickups) so a lot has to do with that. But im try to make some changes to the bass chain maybe help it be more transparent.
But thanks for checking out the tune, it was a cool experience working outside my comfort zone. ;)