checked out Amon Amarth's openers for their MA show...

Yeah, and the headliner was just slightly worth it, huh? ;)
they put on an entertaining show, for sure....definitely would have had more fun if i'd had the chance to hear GK beforehand though. Christofer said afterward, though, that he was disappointed with their performance....he said he and 2 of the other permanent members (i think the bassist and drummer) played like shit, and he said that they sounded the worst they ever have since '98 when they started working with this sound guy, and that the sound guy agreed.

that said, not being familiar with the stuff, i didn't notice so much, and since the sound at Jaxx is usually not that great (but better than the last time i was at the Palladium...), and having not seen them before, it wasn't that easy for me to judge on their sound in a relative sense.

I saw Amon Amarth back in '03 when they opened for Deicide and they were good then. I have been dying to see them again and I think a headlining show would be worth a two hour drive. Especially if they play Once Sent from the Golden Hall material.

Can't wait for Nov. 28th at the Masquerade, regardless of who's opening. That 30 minute set opening for Trivium and Bodom did not cut it a couple years back...

Although that overnight trip was ok, as we got one of the suites at the Granada for free for getting bumped the day of arrival for ProgPower due to hurricane stayovers...

Sonic Syndicate will be the next European band to make waves in the USA. They write melodic songs. They are young and energetic. They are the real deal and I'll wager they'll outsell any bands like "Decapitated" by 3 to 1 before it's all said and done. You heard it here first.

Sonic Syndicate will be the next European band to make waves in the USA. They write melodic songs. They are young and energetic. They are the real deal and I'll wager they'll outsell any bands like "Decapitated" by 3 to 1 before it's all said and done. You heard it here first.

You might be right.

But then again, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, and Job For a Cowboy outsell bands like Decapitated. You can draw your own conclusion from that.

you're probably right, but that doesn't mean they're any good. the clean vocals are clearly heavily processed and pitch-corrected (not that i'm suggesting this is unusual), and they basically follow your standard US growled verse/clean chorus thing, with 2 singers....and it seems that a lot of what they do is based on keyboard melodies, but when i looked at their myspace page, it appears they don't have a keyboardist in the band, and a look at metal-archives appears to confirm that. i found basically nothing interesting about them when i gave them a listen on myspace.

What could possibly have less relevance? Brittany's ...Baby One More Time sold 14 million copies. Is there any further evidence needed that sales don't equate to quality?

And for the record, Sonic Syndicate sucks ass.:heh:

Zod

They sound good enough to me based on this -

Decapitated is an excellent band. I'd rather see Decapitated. But I can see myself having fun listening to Sonic Syndicate if most of their songs are like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
they put on an entertaining show, for sure....definitely would have had more fun if i'd had the chance to hear GK beforehand though. Christofer said afterward, though, that he was disappointed with their performance....he said he and 2 of the other permanent members (i think the bassist and drummer) played like shit, and he said that they sounded the worst they ever have since '98 when they started working with this sound guy, and that the sound guy agreed.

that said, not being familiar with the stuff, i didn't notice so much, and since the sound at Jaxx is usually not that great (but better than the last time i was at the Palladium...), and having not seen them before, it wasn't that easy for me to judge on their sound in a relative sense.

I actually thought they were great. Pretty scary that they could have sounded *better*.

And to be honest, it was one of the better sounding shows at Jaxx. While I still needed the earplugs, I thought the sound was pretty clean.

Jason

What could possibly have less relevance? Brittany's ...Baby One More Time sold 14 million copies. Is there any further evidence needed that sales don't equate to quality?

Define Quality? Nah just kidding I don't want you to get all Pirsig on me and go insane and need electrotherapy... or do I?

And ...Baby One More Time had quality to it. But if it weren't for male infatuation with school girls it wouldn't have done so well....

Why do I suddenly want to play 'Catholic Girls' over that video... ?

Zod, you're hilarious. :lol::kickass:

I would have gone with #1.

I'm driving 2hrs each way, by myself, on a weeknight, just to see Amon Amarth. Hell, I drove 4 Fuckin' Hours both ways to see Nightwish in Worcester, and didn't get home until 7am.

Edit: It really pisses me off when people live in the major markets and complain about having to drive an hour for a show. There are alot of people who be totally psych'd to only have to drive an hour to see a show. Don't take for granted your "Metal Opportunities."
Well, I live in a major market (NYC) saw NW there, and STILL drove 4 hours to the Worcester show. Pussed out and got a hotel, though. Made it much easier to enjoy the beer....and the company. :cool:

I've seen Amon Amarth twice and enjoyed both shows, but I'm 50/50 on driving an hour (or taking the bus) to see them, only 'cause I already have and it's a Monday. Who else is going? That's usually a deciding factor. :)

And for the record, Sonic Syndicate sucks ass.:heh:

Zod

Bands who don't sell go away (look at most of what you listen to). Bands that don't sell get pushed down the label into the "afterthought" category. Bands who sell get pushed. Seems quite relevent. I don't know, ask some of those shitty prog bands about it when they're drum and guitar-teching for these kids. Times are passing you by old guy. :heh::saint:

Bands who don't sell go away (look at most of what you listen to). Bands that don't sell get pushed down the label into the "afterthought" category. Bands who sell get pushed. Seems quite relevent. I don't know, ask some of those shitty prog bands about it when they're drum and guitar-teching for these kids. Times are passing you by old guy. :heh::saint:

You forgot to mention that often times, bands who sell are pushed because they have a marketable sound, which most of the times translates to absolute crap.

Exactly the case with Sonic Syndicate.

Seems to me like the times are passing you by, brother.

I was only born last week, but I've noticed that the mainstream at the moment is currently filled with prog bands. Maybe you should talk to Pretty Boiz about looking into drum and guitar-teching for someone like Coheed and Cambria. There's probably more money to be made there than what they're currently doing. :kickass:

the thing is, i'm actually not that familiar with Amon Amarth's material, having only heard The Crusher, With Oden on Our Side, and a couple other songs. i'm not that crazy about spending $20 to see a band i'm not terribly familiar with when i don't like the openers, especially when i'm short on cash in general.

You're not missing out. In my opinion, they're decent, but not great. And that doesn't warrant $20.