Cheers and Jeers Thread

4. Couldn't find the women for ordering the dvd all day Saturday.

Next to the VP fiasco my biggest gripe. Cruising thru the lobby all night Sat. and not once seeing anyone there. At least leave a jar and some signup sheet and contact us later. Waiting for them to post on where to go to order it now...and hoping the price won't go up because THEY weren't there.:err:

CHEERS:
- Pagan's Mind!!!:OMG: Freak Kitchen!!!:OMG:
- Raintime, Primal Fear, and After Forever were great!
**cough**cough**Raintime for the Showcase next year!!!**(excuse me)
- Firewind! Despite not having Apollo, they put on quite the show. Stephen Fredrick is Zues incarnate.
-McDonalds, for being open
-Halcyon Way, for making the best out of a bad situation.
-Krone, I am ready for the fury...

JEERS:
- Damien's lack of class
- Damien's skank-o-rific friend and her apparent lack of redeemable traits.
-Technical problems, technical problems, technical problems...equipment failure was pretty distracting at times...Honestly, I expect more.
- Parking lot attendants can rot in hell
- Sonata, for doing "just enough" and nothing more...they put on a good show, but surely could have done something other than "the standard set".
-:erk:ProgPower 9:erk:...not excited...I hope the Showcase has more to offer the average metal fan.

Biggest jeer goes to the nasty (drunk?) chick on the barrier who gave some poor guy a really hard time for just tapping out a rhythm on the rail with his ring while we waited between sets. She actually slapped him!! I was shocked and resorted to the only "weapon" I had - I took a photo right in her face and told her if she didn't settle down, I'd show it to security and get her ass thrown out. That crap was totally uncalled for.

I do that kind of thing all the time. She's lucky it wasn't me. I probably would have slapped her right back. (I'm not a violent person and I don't hit women)

Okay, here's my list:

Cheers:
First of all, a HUGE cheer to Shane, Halcyon Way, FK, and any/everyone else involved in salvaging Thursday night :kickass:
ALL my friends and the people who are just too nice to tell me they don't really like me ;)
Paula, Kim and Shannon for being sexy bitches and "dancing" with me Saturday during the jam
Everyone standing around me, Paula, Kim and Shannon for not laughing at my "dancing" Saturday during the jam
Linda and Tammy for taking care of my hubby and confusing people about who's actually the "Real" Mrs. breed!! lol
Britt for rocking out so hard and hitting those high notes (Grandmaaaaaa!!!)
The tape on the stairs
Annie and Tess for our conversation on Saturday night
Of course, Glenn & the crew for pulling it off again
Lara for remembering the cinchers for my forgetful ass

Jeers:
Maybe I'm ignorant, but uh... how about cheap-ass record companies who don't get the proper visas? I could be wrong.
Whichever jackass apparently walked off with my wallet, which was inside my purse in my hotel room... unless you need a doctor's appointment, nothing in there's going to do you much good
The one drunk girl and one just plain annoying one who annoyed me several times during the weekend
the SMOKE (can't say it enough)
Me for not putting together the football thing again and for not getting back with Annie on the Georgia peaches :cry:

That's about it... probably could go on all day w/ the cheers, but I think I need to go eat something. :p

Jeers:

Biggest jeer goes to the nasty (drunk?) chick on the barrier who gave some poor guy a really hard time for just tapping out a rhythm on the rail with his ring while we waited between sets. She actually slapped him!! I was shocked and resorted to the only "weapon" I had - I took a photo right in her face and told her if she didn't settle down, I'd show it to security and get her ass thrown out. That crap was totally uncalled for.

You choose to get physical(maliciously of course) with anyone at PP, you should simply be removed and denied re-entry for the remainder of the fest. Something like that escalates by others getting involved and shit can get outta hand real quick. Now we're talking about fucking things up for a lot of people. I do like your response, and I hope that shut her up.

Cheers:
~Glenn, first of course and as always
~REDEMPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~After Forever rocking my ass back to ProgPower III.
~Freak Kitchen with a stellar return performance.
~All my pals I meet up with every year for 3 days in the fall, and meeting several new ones. :)
~Jon Oliva. I didn't see the show on Wednesday, but the man has universal claim to cheers.
~Damian Wilson, for his superb performance with Threshold. One of my favorite vocalists of all time, and the chance to see him live was MUCH appreciated.

Jeers:
~Virgin Steele. I never want to see that again.
~My personal confusion at the setlist that required me to stand at the front for Virgin Steele instead of Redemption, as I'd thought for some reason.
~The sound guy. I know he got props on Saturday night, but 8 times out of 10 all I heard this weekend was bass.
~The microphone guy. Be that the dude who made the mics at the factory or the cat who was supposed to replace the batteries, I don't know. But it was disappointing.
~No Freak Kitchen merch, as has been said before.
~The...odd...experience of the All-Star Jam.
~Damian Wilson. (I know it's not Glenn's fault, so no jeers to him) But that's not what this fest is all about. It was weak, it was pathetic, and it lowered my opinion of a man I did not want to do that to. Shame.

See you all when you come back to my town for ProgPower IX. :cool:

Cheers:

Every band I saw putting on a good to outstanding performance.

Not experiencing any unwelcome shennanigans.

Finally getting to see Primal Fear!

Really, it was just a great time...

Jeers:

Having to miss a number of bands (including two I really really wanted to see) - probably why I will be going by myself next year.

My main complaint - the sound. My God. The worst sound of all was during Pagan's Mind and Sonata Arctica, who used their own sound guys that apparently don't think there is such a thing as "too loud". The damned speakers were flubbing out from the overabundance of bass and the WAY overpowering drums. SA was by far the worst - I could hardly even hear the guitar, and Tony could have not even sung through half of the set and no one would have been able to tell the difference. The other bands sounded better, but pretty far from good. Just turn down the damn drums and bass!

Also, the guitar sound straight from the amplifiers was pretty good, which you could hear when bands were setting up, but the miked sound coming through the speakers in the full mix was horrid. It was like being stabbed in the ears with icepicks. I am a fan of good guitar tone, and hearing good tone makes a band ten times more enjoyable to me.

The only other jeer would be for Sonata Arctica - they're one of my more favorite bands and they totally phoned it in. Sound aside they performed well, but everyone could tell they were going through the motions. Only the new guitarist fellow seemed to be really into it.

CHEERS AND BEERS TO:

:worship:GLENN AND CREW FOR YET ANOTHER FABULOUS VACATION!!!

SHANE for a great Preparty and Halcyon Way for filling in on short notice!

:worship:Jon Oliva for just being the awesome man he is!!

Primal Fear, Firewind ,Communic and Cellador for my aching neck!!! :kickass:

Pagans Mind for blowing my mind! WOW!!

My UMOS family (Kathy, SavaRon, Wheezer and MXGonzo) for a great stay with you, wow where were you guys?

Cellador for not breaking anything more than A beer bottle in the rental house. xoxoxo luv ya guys!!

My lost guardian Skeleton Crew \m/ Maiden'08 baby!!

Kellsco for the awesome NM goodies, though the jalepeno pistachio's went to Dave from Cellador who love's that stuff, how's your tummy Dave?

Deron for getting me goodies for the missing UMOS Crew!

All the vendors downstairs for carrying such great merch!

Linda for all the hot and sexy pictures!!

The security guys for those awesome (bonecrushing) hugs

JDubya for the Scorpions/Maiden goodies xoxoxo much love to ya brother!

The 'J' Boyz downstairs for the great entertainment and keeping me refreshed with Smirnoff Ice's all weekend!

All the wonderful PP friends I've come to know over these last few years and to the new ones I met... you are all so wonderful! You know who you are and big hugz to ya! Thanks for yet another entertaining weekend and soon to be developed criminal Kodak moments!!

For getting the roster for next year!!!!:kickass::headbang::kickass::headbang:

And last but very much not least Zak Stevens; my new friend who walks in smoke! What little time we spent chatting it sure felt like we've known each other for years! You are a kindred spirit, a kind soul, a definate spaz (in a good way) and all around awesome dude! David sends his thanks for signing my toes and not any other body parts :p

JEERS:
To those people that will not let you sit while their friend(s) are away....even if they are gone 45 friggin' minutes!!

Oh yeah, one last Jeer:

Hallway Parties outside my Granada hotel door at 4:30am in the morning! Come on people...SOME people want to sleep because they have a flight at 11am the next morning.

Yeah, as much as I don't like crashing the party. Friday night annoyed the fuck out of me. I mean, I love you guys and I know most of you didn't realize there was a crew member trying to get some precious shut-eye (and I'm sure you saw me storm out of the hotel to go on a run, as I know how pissed I looked....which, btw was my cranky, lack of sleep face). But yeah, hanging out in rooms would have been a better option, as it was fairly obvious to me that the front desk folks didn't like us that much. *shrugs* Guess next year I'll just open the door and tell y'all to hush. ;)

My Freaky Sis - Just open the door and tell them to hush up. It worked for me on Fri night at 4 am when some drunken idiots were POUNDING on the walls/doors yelling for a Dave - after 15 minutes I got up and opened the door.. guess they didn't like the pissed off tech look... they were cool and it stopped

Cheers:

-Glenn for being the man. And also for making it possible for my mom to meet Freak Kitchen on Thursday night. She only got a showcase ticket and her being able to meet them made her month. Thanks again Glenn.
-Freak Kitchen for actually being cool enough to come out and see her after their set. You'll never know how much this meant to her.
-The keyboard player from Firewind shredding guitar and keyboard at the same time!!! Most impressive display of talent all weekend IMO
-Damien for having balls of steel. Not only did he jump down into the crowd, wade through it and then run up into the seated area, he brought the chick down. Yeah ProgPower is supposed to be all ages but it IS a metal show still right?
-Redemption, Pagan's Mind, Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Threshold, Primal Fear and After Forever for thoroughly rocking
-Actually finding a copy of Diablo Swing Orchestra, Missa Mercuria and Devil Doll in the vendor area.
-PPUSA IX roster annoucement. There's not a bad band in the bunch from what I've heard so far.
-The staff of the Residence Inn for being so cool.

Jeers:

-The smoke (it bears repeating)
-The people complaining that Sonata Arctica didn't change up their set list enough. Why did you go to see them a few days ago when you knew they were going to be @ PP?
-Virgin Steele. Keyboard tracks I can somewhat forgive but playing with a bass track= instant fail.
-Missing Vanden Plas
-Me not talking to nearly as many folks as I wanted to
-Not being able to hook up my PS2 in the hotel so we could do the Guitar Hero thing

My Freaky Sis - Just open the door and tell them to hush up. It worked for me on Fri night at 4 am when some drunken idiots were POUNDING on the walls/doors yelling for a Dave - after 15 minutes I got up and opened the door.. guess they didn't like the pissed off tech look... they were cool and it stopped

Heh, something tells me, I would have destroyed something trying to open the window. :D But next year I'm bringing my sleeping pills with me, plus, the Granada windows were way too thin. I could hear every car driving by, like I had the windows open. At any rate, just means I need to prepare better next year. I knew my schedule was going to be different, but wasn't quite sure exactly what to expect. Now, I have my list of what will make next year smoother and better, just gotta make sure I actually prepare this year (meaning, no insomnia the week before ;) ). And it'll allow me to have more time for sudden emergencies and still be able to get everyone where they need to be at the time they need to be there.

But regardless, crew was awesome this year. Even the new folks and I'm glad I got to work with you all again, and headbang on stage. :D

And Glenn, you are totally awesome. You have no idea how grateful I am for being able to watch Communic and Threshold. Those put me on energy overload and had me bouncing around the place waaaaaaaaaaaay too much (as was fairly obvious with my antics during the Jam session). Thank you for letting me into the crew family, every year it just gets better and better and I look back on it with a huge grin. This year just happened to be super-special in so many different ways and I can't even begin to describe exactly how much you and the rest of crew rock.

It worked for me on Fri night at 4 am when some drunken idiots were POUNDING on the walls/doors yelling for a Dave - after 15 minutes I got up and opened the door.. guess they didn't like the pissed off tech look... they were cool and it stopped

Hey, don't call my best friend an idiot!

Drunken, yes -- but idiot?

-Dave :kickass:

SkiBum, thanks so much for the kind words. The record has been in mixdown for a while and it's beyond our control right now. James has a huge backlog and we've just been waiting our turn in the queue. it would have been done by now in all likelihood but there were some technical issues that pushed it back. Some things in the original tracking had to be re-done and that was part of the issue. It's gonna sound killer, and for now you can check out Blind Eyes To The Sky on the sampler CD from this year - we're on disc 3. Thanks again man!

You deserve the kudos! As much as I am pissed about the whole Vanden Plas issue, but you guys stepped in when you needed to and still put on a kick-ass set.

That does suck about the CD. I'll just have to wait for it like everyone else. I hope you guys can get that out soon!

Oh yeah, and massive cheers to my wonderful roommates, Braxil, John, Drew, Amanda and Julien. I'm usually worried about having roommates but you guys were awesome and dealt with my mood swings well (least, from my perspective). I thank you very much.

Can't believe I forgot THIS ONE!

Cheer/Jeer:
- That crazy drunk dude on the left side towards the back during Pagan's Mind. If you watched PM from the seats you probably witnessed this guy and his comedy stylings. I was in tears laughing so hard at him the whole time. Please tell me somebody else got a kick out of watching this idiot.

- I later find out he was being a real asshole to people, some who I know, and for that he also gets a jeer.

That guy was AWESOME to watch. Bears a slight resemblance to the Night Stalker (Richard Ramirez) from a distance which made his groovish stylings even better :) We wer about 3 rows up behind the soundboard for everything but the all-star jam and that guy definitely was a highlight :)

Jeff

Cheers:
After reading this thread all for the cheers are correct and great. This cheer cannot be listed enough though: Glenn and Cindy.
The production work on next year's lineup. The video was cool.

Jeers:
CUSTOMS - Vanden Plas
Smoke. Forgot what it was like to be in a smoke filled club.
The Damien Incident.

Cheers to Shane Dubose for working so hard on the Showcase and dealing with the VP situation. Jeers to Shane Dubose for playing kick ass new Krucible tunes but not having a CD yet for me to buy :) (I already told him about this one!)

Cheers to each and every replacement person (in Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Threshold) for doing OUTSTANDING JOBS, better than the originals in some cases. Jeers to my replacement stomach, which has apparently decided I should not drink more than 4-5 beers before I'll be sick the next morning, thus making me watch bands in a much more sober state than I'd like.

Cheers to Sean Andrews of Redemption for being one of the best bass players I've ever seen. Jeers to Sean Andrews and others like him for being SO good that when I consider trying to learn the bass but then see how far I'd have to go, I say "screw it, why bother!"

Cheers to Sonata Arctica for having the best live vocal harmonies I've heard in a long time. Jeers to Sonata Arctica for giving the standard tour package. Did they know they could play for longer than 65 minutes before breaking for the encore? Sheesh.

Cheers to Stephen Frederick for still having a great voice. Jeers to Stephen Frederick for his Tina Turner impersonation. :yuk:

Cheers to Threshold for an awesome set, and playing Pilot in the Sky of Dreams (one of my favorite songs of the year). Jeers to Threshold for starting several minutes late and *still* having poor sound the first little while during which Richard West could not be heard on keyboard or vocals.

Cheers to After Forever for, like Epica, giving me a set that far exceeded my expectations. Jeers to Floor Jansen for not living in Valparaiso so I could watch her sing all the time. :)

Cheers to Pagan's Mind for learning all those songs for the All Star Jam, and playing them flawlessly. And for the guitarist, this on top of learning all the songs last year for Jorn. I am in awe. Jeers to Pagan's Mind for not employing Hiro to bend time and space to get God's Equation available this weekend.

Cheers to me for supporting the economy by buying CDs! Jeers to me for making a list ahead of time of CDs I want. When I buy a bunch of CDs and only 3 of them are on the list, what's the point of having the friggin' list??

Cheers to the Center Stage bartenders and security for being pleasant (at least as far as I saw). I heard one bartender telling someone how he loved these metal shows because everyone is so friendly and they leave pretty good tips! Jeers to the jerk in the audience at the end of Friday night who called one of the security guys "dickhead" because the poor guy was just trying to do his job in getting people cleared out, and was even trying to be funny / friendly about it.

Cheers to the Residence Inn staff and their always friendly demeanors. Jeers to the Residence Inn for having cards about their "conservation" efforts with respect to linens, but having housekeeping run a dishwasher to clean a single plate and glass. :rolleyes:

Cheers to all my friends at ProgPower.