Cheers! Jeers!

I have cheers, I have jeers, but one thing that's really been on my mind this year ever more than before is this:

A big cheer for the Residence Inn staff!

Always happy, every single person said hello every single time, regardless of their duties. Anything we needed was immediately taken care of. Free breakfast, free dinner social Tues-Thurs. On Friday the front desk staff where excited to wear "tshirts with a bunch of stuff on it and writing and like what you guys all wear, just cuz of ProgPower" <3 <3 <3

They even had framed fliers on the entry table where they put all the "local events and spotlights" type things. One flier was the full logo, the other frame was the first day's schedule, then they changed it over to the second day later on. That was a nice little touch that said, "Hi, we love you guys!" rather than, "*grumble* Dang metal heads...." :lol:

Every single time I went through the lobby they asked how the festival was going and asked questions about the music and were genuinely interested. Like the Artmore, they've stopped trying to fight it and have just embraced ProgPower. As much as I respect The Artmore for dealing with our sh*t year after year, Residence Inn also has, with grace. The place and staff are classy, appreciative, and perfectly accommodating. If anyone is unsure, or the cost seems too high, Residence Inn is well worth it. I'm sure many will agree.

Not sure if I've participated in the "Cheers! Jeers!" thread before but here goes...

Cheers

• Nathan, Shane, Glenn, and the rest of the team who provided four awesome days of fun and music. You all kick ass and your efforts are very much appreciated!
  • I actually enjoyed all the bands (sure, some more than others just like everybody else) but want to give special shout-outs to Vangough (how did I miss the boat on these guys?), Ross the Boss (I had no idea what to expect but ended up loving that set start to finish), Accept (I went 24 years since the last time I saw them and they sounded GREAT!), Leprous (this band is so good there are no words), Blackguard (best I've seen them live), Seventh Wonder (in a word - "wow!"), Nocturnal Rites (late getting into this band but I dug their set immensely), Kamelot (sounded great and Michael was fantastic), Oceans of Sadness (tons of energy), DGM (they were simply better than incredible and I hope to see them again!), Tarot (still in shock that I actually got to see them live), Hammerfall (sounded great and looked to be having a lot of fun).
  • Seeing all the good friends again and sharing time with some really great people. You know who you are and you rock!
  • Ann Marie for bringing me a life-saving ice cold 16-ounce brew that recharged my weary batteries and let me headbang my way through Tarot's set. Tammy for setting me up with that water when I needed it early on during Saturday's performance as well. Thanks for seeing to my metal hydration needs!!
  • My stubborn willpower for allowing me to basically camp out at the rail for the entirety of Thursday's and Friday's shows (stayed for all bands), and Saturday all the way through Tarot. Managed to wander back up front for almost all of HammerFall too after a much-needed respite between bands. I demanded a lot out of this 45 year-old body but it did me proud. Thanks to my feet for hurting but not exploding! Nice to see that I can hang with, and in some cases outdo, you youngsters! hahaha
  • John Cheek for trying to get that Tarot setlist signed for me as a surprise. That effort meant a lot!
  • My travel buddies for putting up with me and not smothering me in my sleep! hahaha
  • Andy for offering to get some stuff signed for me so I could keep my spot at the rail. I appreciate that more than I can say!
  • Juan Carlos and Klaudya, new friends who made the trip from Guatemala to see their first ProgPower: it was great meeting you and talking with you! You two are awesome and hope to see you again soon!! Thanks for the bottle of Guatemalan rum too. I promise to put it to good use! :)
  • All the band people who happily mingled with fans and showed a genuine appreciation for the ProgPower experience. Special mention to Leprous, Accept, DGM, and Blackguard for going above and beyond!
  • All the vendors who, despite often being inundated with customers, took the time to help and explain things about various groups and CDs so that I was able to make more-informed purchases. I appreciate that!

EDIT: Big cheer also for Drew Curufin who, unbeknownst to me at the time of my original post, was behind the scenes getting that Tarot setlist signed for me. Drew also later mailed it out directly to me and I now have it in hand. Thanks a lot, man!! :)

Jeers

• The excessive fog during many of the sets. But I've read where this is going to be dealt with. For those of us taking pictures it was a real challenge but I muddled through. :)
  • My addiction to being in the front row once again robbing me of extra time I wanted to spend in the vendor room. I bought some good stuff but wanted to by even more good stuff but I missed out.
  • Poisoning my body with so much unhealthy Waffle House food at 3am! But the calories were tasty!
  • The Waffle House floater. Whomever / Whatever left THAT behind was likely not human...
  • Not knowing that Tarot had limited edition shirts with the ProgPower date on them until after they had long since sold out of my size.

I know I'm probably leaving some good people out of my cheers comments and I apologize for the oversight. Lots of thoughts spinning round in me ol' noggin and it's hard to pluck them all out sometimes!

Unacceptable! You should have *demanded* that they re-book you in the Four Seasons again! :lol:

That would be funny. However, as nice as the Four Seasons was, I doubt I would stay there again. As Dave pointed out above, they do nickle and dime you there. The internet access was not free. Their breakfast buffet was something like $30 (although I hear it is really nice), plus no vending machines. If you wanted a quick snack, you had to buy their overpriced in-room food (I mean, really! $4 for a friggan can of coke?), plus it is somewhat of a hike to get over there as well. Yeah, the service was friggan awesome there. In addition, the rooms are really. That had to be one of the most comfortable beds I got to sleep in. In addition, I think that bathroom we had was bigger than the room we stayed in at the Artmore. All marble, with gold fixtures. A huge glass walk-in shower. It was really, really nice, though. At least I can now say I got to stay at the Four Seasons, though.

I do like it there at the Artmore. The room we stayed in was actually pretty nice (despite the fuck-up with the bed situation). At least the Artmore had free internet access (although slow as shit, though). Plus, there is no denying the location.

* Attendees who think that the price of admission entitles them to heckle the bands. Do you REALLY think that Hammerfall is going to change their setlist because you are yelling at them to &#8220;play the old shit or I&#8217;ll leave?&#8221; (But CHEERS that the attendee in question finally *did* leave.)

I was wondering what the hell that was all about. From where I was sitting, I could hear some dude yelling shit up at the band during the HammerFall set. I wonder what Joacim said off the microphone back at that dude.

I have to agree with this jeer. Seems like every show I go to, there always seem to be some drunk jackass yelling some inane shit up at the band at some point during the set. Gets to the point where I'd like to turn around and yell back for him to shut the fuck up.

EDIT:

Just through up of another Cheer:

That security dude watching the stage left (the side you enter the pit). He was actually genuinely interested in the music that he was hearing. He was actually looking forward to seeing HammerFall! We were chatting it up a few times while I was there in "the pit" waiting for bands to begin. He mentioned that he was actually really impressed with how good much of this music sounded, with all the melodies, complex rhythms and so forth. I made a comment to him that I bet this is quite a bit different than what he typically listens to. He replayed back with "Oh yeah!". In fact, all the security has been really cool. From what I heard from the security staff is that the ProgPower crowd in general has been one of the easiest and most pleasant to deal with.

I was wondering what the hell that was all about. From where I was sitting, I could hear some dude yelling shit up at the band during the HammerFall set. I wonder what Joacim said off the microphone back at that dude.

I have to agree with this jeer. Seems like every show I go to, there always seem to be some drunk jackass yelling some inane shit up at the band at some point during the set. Gets to the point where I'd like to turn around and yell back for him to shut the fuck up.

I hate this shit too. At the Rush show here in Saint Paul a few weeks ago, this group of drunk assholes were behind us yelling "OH MY GOD, THEY ARE PLAYING SPIRIT OF RADIO!" at the intro of each song. Rush did indeed open with Spirit of Radio and these guys didn't lend a peep about it then. They thought that every song after it was SoR. It was pretty pitiful.

Time between sets. The female fronted bands were cursed it seems. I tend to think that most delays are band related, and I am uncertain that biggest delays being female bands was coincidence. Being too particular about the setup? Is it a prima-donna kind of thing? I don't know. It just sucked.

Absolutely had NOTHING to do with it. Issues were technical, not human.....

Cheers:
*Seventh Wonder-for me this was a concert two years in the making, and they delivered......
*Seventh Wonder-on Sat afternoon, WOW what a special moment!
*Glen and Jen-for not being "above" evey one just cause you be the promoter, and just being a fan... just like us
*The cool people I met and have made life long friendships with, Dave P, Adam, Shella, Scott, etc.....
*Kamelot-for just being there no matter what! Thank you!

Jeers
CD-INZANE- i asked this guy for a cd, he says its not out, but later I find out that its out, the bands website says so and the PP guide says so... I do understand that he answers millions of questions and helps 100s of thousands of people, but i look to you the vendor as my expert, and he gave me false info, he was rude about it too...like I had offended him by asking... in short bad CUSTOMER SERVICE....
The two guys fighting over a Hammerfal drumstick with the girlfriend stuck int he middle, come on fellas, lets all be adults

Jeers:

Housekeeping at the Artmore. The sign on the door says "Privacy Please". It does not say "Call me at 9 in the morning to make sure service to the room is not wanted". No we are NOT going to come outside to sign your fucking clipboard. That's why the fucking privacy sign is on the door! Fucking douche canoes.

Probably the only Jeer I have as well only for my room they did not bother to call they just walked in!!!! no knock or anything.....not cool!

on the Cheers side of things....

Michael Eriksen for being such an awesome guy and an even better singer....I would personaly fund his return to every PP from here on out if for nothing more than his company and antics

Glenn and Jen amazing people who put on an amazing fest! not only do you make hundreds of peoples year but you personaly gave me the opportunity of a life time and I would do anything for the both of you!

All the bands that performed this year! I had some of the best times with band members this year....thank you Marco for cooling me off with an ice cold bottle of water on my neck from out of no where!! lol....the boys from seventh wonder, Elise (sp) (singer with Kamelot) had a chance to talk with her and she is one of the nicest girls i have met.

I was shocked and amazed by bands I went into the fest thinking I would not like and found out I loved.....DGM (also amazing fun guys), blackguard, illusion suite....pretty much all the bands from the pre shows....amazing will never doubt Glenns line up ever again!!!!!

with that being said I am going to start studying up for next year!!!! see you all again then!!!

Cheers:
To Scott for giving me a ride down to Atlanta and letting me stay in the room at the Artmore. Thanks again. That pulled it all together and made the trip pretty much stress free.

To M. Erikson - For stepping up to the plate in a time of need, and giving all you've got. Learning all that in a week must have been a drill. Thanks for doing so. Performance was outstanding!

Seventh Wonder - For agreeing to a second show in the wee hours of the morning. And to Tommy for also supporting the Kamelot set.

The driver of the Chinese take out - Thanks for supplying menus in the hallway at 3:00 AM. You rock. OK you aren't reading this but you still rock. We were about to drive aimlessly into town and waste a lot of time in the name of food.

Jeers:
The 6'4" asshole who pushed me aside to stand directly in front of me. Phuque Yu!

Greets to all those who I talked to at PP USA. Alan Schoen, Alicia Smith (Dragongrrl), Andy Selden, Bobbie Dickerson (BlackRosemetalHeart), Christina Ricciardi, Clay Cartwright, Ian Kaatz (Biffle), Jax Vh, Jennifer Lynn, Joan Johnson, John Willcoxon, John Cheek (J-Man), Julien Berthault (Myock), Kelly Elder (Kellsco), Kim O'Conor (Jbrille), Kimberly Dorris (LunaTEKKE), Lance King (Megaloud), Lara Weidenbach (Freakchylde), Nathan Block (Swordlord), Paul Cashman (Pellaz), Barb and Rick Pierpont, Shannon Bednowicz (Yardleybates), Mike Bednowicz (Yippe38), Ty Tammeus. I know I missed a few of you and only spoke to some of you for a brief second. Next year if you want, spend more time talking to me. I don't mind.)

Hi, my name's David, and I believe we talked back stage before Oceans of Sadness went on (think spilled beer).

Jeers:
The 6'4" asshole who pushed me aside to stand directly in front of me. Phuque Yu!

I'm 6'4". It could have been me, but I doubt it. In concerts I am VERY self-conscious about my height. If I move into the crowd (usually because my wife is trying to find a place from where she can see), I am very careful about not standing directly in front of anybody. I'll try to stand between two people. Oh yeah, and I usually end up standing on the edge of the stairs leading to the backstage area. Then I get people shoving past me trying to get in or out, which makes me think one day I will get pushed down those stairs. I stand there because I don't block anybody's view there.

Taller people with big heads constantly move directly in front of my wife (though generally not people as tall as me). I always tell her to say something. She never does.

I'll say the same thing to you. If somebody moves in front of you and blocks your view, tap them on the shoulder, and say, "Hey. You just blocked my view. Could you move a bit to one side or the other?" If you don't, then stop bitching and just move.

I also want to Jeer the person in the back, right behind me that kept whistling before, During and After during the Tarot and Delain sets. I appreciate your enthusiasm.

But you are an inconsiderate asshead. It was everything I could do to not join the Hessian guy in front of me in saying "Shut the fuck up."
Also screaming at bands won't actually make them come out any faster. You can wait patiently like the rest of us, and I'm guessing you weren't there for Iced Earth.

Cheers:
All the bands for being fun and easy to work with
Centerstage staff - Kent, Rich, security, etc.
My extended metal family that I get to see once a year
getting a private acoustic show from John Drenning and Mike til 6 am Fri morning courtesy of Frode

Jeers
Humidity
Gear gremlins...
getting a private acoustic show from John Drenning and Mike til 6 am Fri morning courtesy of Frode! lol

Can't believe I didn't sell tickets for that one... ha ha!

Cheers:

Oceans of Sadness. Theirs was my favorite performance of the fest, and easily one of my favorites out of the five years I've been going. It's also really cool when you get to the signing table and pretty much everyone in the band says "Hey, you're the guy who was singing along with every song!" :headbang:

They did the same thing to me! Tijs even stopped me in the hall after their set. They were so worried about not having anyone know who they were!

Cheers:

-Glenn as always
-Jim for everything, especially taking care of my ass
-The Su for taking off and running with Corset Night the last few years.
-Guy from Oceans of Sadness for taking time out and getting drumsticks for my son and for the killer conversations we had!
-All of Oceans of Sadness, you guys rocked
-Andy for letting me have a special place for Oceans of Sadness
-Mike and Norman for putting up with me Wednesday
-The lovely Lindsay for opening up to me and being there in Dave's honor. I love you girl!
-Mike remembering me and my son and asking about him.
-the lovely reaction I got on my pink outfit. If it wasn['t for the humitidy I would've stayed in it all weekend.
-All the cool new comers and my old friends.
-The Artmore
-Did I mention Oceans of Sadness?

Jeers:
-The bullshit on Wednesday night.
-My non PP friends and family who decided that calling and texting me at 7 am on Saturday was a good thing. (As if that was acceptable on a non PP weeeknd!)
-The dirty mother fucker who was in the back vestibule of the Artmore at 8:45 am watching the woman clean while masturbating. I hope that when I told the front desk they made you clean it up on your own and banned your ass. Seriously dude, next time use your own room.

-MetalRose

OK - I know I am gonna miss a few things, so I will keep this fairly general (leaving out bands etc - that can be done elsewhere)
Cheers:
Glenn & Jen - for everything, your tireless effort in putting this together every year makes sure I get in at least one vacation whether I can afford to take it or not, reunites me with one of my oldest living friends and lets me get that family reunion feeling, since I don't get to do that with family much these days. Thank you.
The Whole Damn Crew - from the backstage/front of house, vendors, the hotties at the tables.
Shane, Nathan & everyone involved with Wed & Thursday shows.
The Su - for being the Su.
Lara - for a fun night before things really kicked off. Didn't get to see her much once things got rolling, I know you were busy.
Familiar and unfamiliar faces - I really suck at names but do remember faces, and I saw and got to talk to a lot of them this year, great seeing you all again.
Staff at Vinyl - Jamie and the ladies - they hooked a brother up :)
The staff at Residence Inn - they are always so friendly, helpful, and tolerant :)
Vespuccis - we ask and they come through. They stayed open later than usual by far on the weekend just because we metal heads were in town.
Convenience store guy - same as Vespuccis, the little convenience store that you can't see around the corner from Res Inn - did the same, and it is appreciated.
Shae - ROLL TIDE!!! Always more fun watching Bama with someone fun, if I have to miss a band to do it, at least I know I am not the only one :)

Jeers:
Father Time and my bank account for not supporting me better in my old age.