Cheesiest metal lyrics

dargormudshark said:
This started to get brought up on another thread and I thought I would start this thread so Bryant won't start another off-topic thread.

Back to the thread, I would have to say Overkill and Dimmu Borgir.

Ha ha ha gee thanks buddy !! :loco:

I am an Accept fan so I'm not one to talk about cheesy lyrics. Some of theirs are pretty bad.

If I had to name a band of muscular cheese, it is definitely Manowar.

Bryant

Extra cheese recognition goes to Manowar and Hammerfall (even though I do like the later a bit)

Overkill wrote some cheesy lyrics in the early stages of their career but they've improved A LOT since that time!
Don't forget that almost every thrash band were into that kind of lyrics in the mid 80's, now Blitz and Overkill have gone away from that for years...

Anyway, I don't have a problem with cheesy lyrics, sure it wouldn't fit a band like Tad Morose but it fits other bands, so... why not? Music is an art but also brings entertainment.

Fangface said:
Overkill wrote some cheesy lyrics in the early stages of their career but they've improved A LOT since that time!
Don't forget that almost every thrash band were into that kind of lyrics in the mid 80's, now Blitz and Overkill have gone away from that for years...

Anyway, I don't have a problem with cheesy lyrics, sure it wouldn't fit a band like Tad Morose but it fits other bands, so... why not? Music is an art but also brings entertainment.

I agree with that, It's ok if Overkill has a song called Fatal If Swallowed with a bunch of innuendos in it. Although if Dream Theater had a song like that :cry:

I don't see how overkill was any cheesier than any other thrash band back in the day. Not that their early lyrics were insightful or anything but manowar, priest, accept, exodus, etc.. were no less cheesier.

insidethefall said:
I don't see how overkill was any cheesier than any other thrash band back in the day. Not that their early lyrics were insightful or anything but manowar, priest, accept, exodus, etc.. were no less cheesier.

yeah, I guess but I think overkill is worse than Metal Church, Old Metallica, and Atrophy

dargormudshark said:
yeah, I guess but I think overkill is worse than Metal Church, Old Metallica, and Atrophy

Metal Church had great lyrics in the Howe era. They weren't those strange lyrics that made you think, but very straightforward and great topics.

Bryant

dargormudshark said:
The only metal church I have is the first one on tape. Rocks though!
Dargor...you should check out the Mike Howe era albums. Blessing In Disguise was the beginning of something special (despite a somewhat muddy production), capped off by The Human Factor, which tackled such issues as music biz trends, bankruptcy, anti-American sentiment, PMRC, child abuse, alcoholism...wow...very socially conscious album. If you can overlook the cover, I highly recommend Hanging In The Balance, which is the next album that was completely overlooked at the time...just an awesome follow-up to Human Factor with great material...maybe not quite so thought out...but not any less intense as a result.

This analogy is kinda out-of-the-blue...but I kinda equate it to Savatage's Dead Winter Dead creating a buzz and then Wake Of Magellan going virtually unnoticed (at the time)...that's kinda the relationship between Human Factor and Hanging In The Balance...

Hope I'm not leading you astray!

I wish I knew what Mike Howe was doing now...anybody know?

Rock on!

ashaman7122 said:
Dargor...you should check out the Mike Howe era albums. Blessing In Disguise was the beginning of something special (despite a somewhat muddy production), capped off by The Human Factor, which tackled such issues as music biz trends, bankruptcy, anti-American sentiment, PMRC, child abuse, alcoholism...wow...very socially conscious album. If you can overlook the cover, I highly recommend Hanging In The Balance, which is the next album that was completely overlooked at the time...just an awesome follow-up to Human Factor with great material...maybe not quite so thought out...but not any less intense as a result.

This analogy is kinda out-of-the-blue...but I kinda equate it to Savatage's Dead Winter Dead creating a buzz and then Wake Of Magellan going virtually unnoticed (at the time)...that's kinda the relationship between Human Factor and Hanging In The Balance...

Hope I'm not leading you astray!

Rock on!

Thanks for the advic I downloaded a song from Blessing in Disguise and it was pretty good.

Is it just me Or is the last name Vanderhoof really cool if your'e in a metal band.

dargormudshark said:
Is it just me Or is the last name Vanderhoof really cool if your'e in a metal band.
Yes...a very cool name...considering the guy is a bit of a mystery...likes to records, but doesn't like the touring...

Almost as cool as being named Urban...

Rock on!

dargormudshark said:
Thanks for the advic I downloaded a song from Blessing in Disguise and it was pretty good.
I noticed that you had the song Badlands in your NP...if you like that...then that song (IMO) is worth the price of the album right there...it's the centerpiece of the album (IMO) and a stylish masterpiece of restrained fury on an album that otherwise slams mightily...

...I expounded on the quality of subject matter on Human Factor, and I had to go digging into the collection for a refresher on the other albums...

Blessing In Disguise tackles such topics as modern healthcare, the Titanic, insanity, the homeless, hypocritical politicians, etc.

Hanging In The Balance delves into suicide, racism, cults, nuclear holocaust, prophecy, and urban violence. It's an interesting album, because the subject matter is not so cut-and-dry and specific as on the previous albums...as if the band were honing a sense of subtlety while still remaining relevant...or perhaps it had to do with the influence of Paul O'Neill (of Savatage and Tran-Siberian Orchestra fame) who contributed to the album...

...anyway...cannot speak highly enough about those 3 albums...

I realize this is a lyrical thread...but even if you throw the lyrics out the window...these are still 3 awesome metal albums...just kick ass heavy metal...no labels...no sub-genres...no embarrassing material or stupid bullshit posturing...just metal the way it should be...(but the subject material makes the music all the more powerful)...

Thanks for the soapbox!

Rock on!

ashaman7122 said:

Rock on!

Great post. I'm a big fan of that era and like the first Wayne era as well.

Mike Howe is Wolf Hoffmann's neighbor ..... not really, but last I heard he resides in Tenessee (as Wolf does) now and has a family.

http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/vanderhoof.htm

Bryant

ashaman7122 said:
...anyway...cannot speak highly enough about those 3 albums...

I realize this is a lyrical thread...but even if you throw the lyrics out the window...these are still 3 awesome metal albums...just kick ass heavy metal...no labels...no sub-genres...no embarrassing material or stupid bullshit posturing...just metal the way it should be...(but the subject material makes the music all the more powerful)...

Thanks for the soapbox!

Rock on!

I agree 100%. They just didn't make bands much better than that outfit. I don't see how they ddn't get more popular than they were. While I strongly prefer the Howe era, the first Wayne era was good too. That band put out five ass-kicking albums in a row. There aren't really many bands that I can say that about.

Bryant

Agreed, Bryant...not to discount the Wayne era, which started it all. The first 2 albums managed to bitch-slap the world into awareness of a band named Metal Church...smack!...listen to this!

I just really, really like Mike Howe's voice...that's all!

But it all fuckin' rocks...

(I still can't get over what a mighty Accept fan you are...we really need to have a beer and shoot the shit come PPV time!)

Rock on!