Chicago metal scene covered by the Tribune

I'm so naming a band Ditka. >_>

I don't like the use of the term scenesters (even if I'm not in Chicago), as that term has connotations that the article writer probably doesn't know about. I'm sure he just meant it as 'followers of the metal scene' and not 'kids who go to shows to be seen, not for the music so much'

Just read the article myself actually.
I think the article is spot on.
They point out how clubs who avoided metal like the plague are jumping on board, like The Note and the Empty Bottle.

Also, check out the sexy picture on page 12!

It is funny, there really isnt a scene at all for metal in chicago. in the early 90's the chicago punk scene was very strong. People were doing fanzines, had record labels, put on shows in all sorts of places from houses, small hall's to any place that could hold people. You would run into all sorts of other people that you saw at shows when going to the different records stores from Wax Trax to Off The Alley. There was record conventions every month and you could get great deals and find very rare stuff there. That is where I met Jason actually. There was more of a communal feel to it. You wanted to support it because you were a part of it. Bands would stay at peoples houses and stuff. It was much more underground so you didnt have people just coming to the shows to be seen. Even at shows you had people shoing up just to sell records and stuff.

The chicago metal "scene" to me doesnt exist. It is a collection of local acts opening for larger acts. Sure there was the Chicago Powerfest and the Midwest Athem thing. But there really isnt any structure to the chicago scene. I think things are different to since of the internet age. People can stay in contact without having to leave thier house. 15 years ago to find new bands you had to go to shows and talk with people. Now it is the click of the button. I guess each has thier advantages.

Good points Bob, and I agree with almost all of it.

It seems there are a lot of Chicago metal bands in the city who have created their own scene, primarily playing bars (IE - Indian, Lair of the Monitair, Bible of the Devil, etc.) I have never seen bands such as that play the Pearl Room, for example.

It seems like the city doesn't mix with the bands from the burbs too much. Not sure why really.

Well, even if things stay segregated, its cool to see that more clubs and bars are being more open minded to metal.

those clubs will also be the first to stop having metal play there once the attraction looses it steam.

Maybe, but lots of the bands from the city regularly play shows there together, which is helping build the Chicago metal underground.

A couple years back, it seems there were more regular suburban local shows at JJ Kelleys and what not. Now, as you had said Bob, many local bands think the scene is just opening for a bigger band at Pearl Room. Sure, it is good exposure, but won't build a scene.

Possibly some of the bands mentioned in the article who are drawing attention around the city would be good picks for Powerfest????
I am not familiar with a lot of them, but there is certainly a buzz for bands like Nachtmystium, Lair of the Moniteur, Bible of the Devil, etc.

So name some good Chicago local scene bands.

To me, unless you have good local bands the scene is shit anyhow no matter where they can play, and how many people show up.

So name some good Chicago local scene bands.

To me, unless you have good local bands the scene is shit anyhow no matter where they can play, and how many people show up.

Good job! You just managed to insult a good percentage of people who post here!!!

I think there are many solid local bands, but no true scene.

Take Eden's Fall for example. Their CD is quite stellar. Any fan of Nevermore, Testament, Metal Church, Overkill, (insert 80's US thrash band of your choice), should be eating these guys up!

I know these guys do their part in trying to round up a scene with the Midwest Metal Anthem.

As I said, there is a whole lot of what I call the "city" metal bands, which currently seem to be more in the hipster rock scene than the metal scene. Still though, those bands seem to play more regular local shows with other local bands.

Anyhow, still good to see Chicago getting recognized!

No mention of Chicago Powerfest in the article though.....
Could have been some great exposure.

I didn't insult anybody. I haven't listened to many of the bands of people who post here yet (other than November's Doom which I enjoy a lot). And frankly it skipped my mind when posting it that both of the promoter's bands are from Chicago. I do like Twelfth Gate from what I recall. I haven't listened to Ion Vein.

But I'm curious on good local Chicago bands, not to 'justify your scene', but to find them. Hard to find them when you aren't living in the area (unless I went to that mentioned Chicago metal scene web site I guess). I like listening to smaller, local bands because sometimes they are the apex of creativity... other times they are more of a 'style tribute band' but that's okay at times too.

I am just ball busting a bit.
You do bring up a good point.
There are a LOT of Chicago local bands.
Not many people know about them though, or so it seems.

True, and funny, story.
For years, I didn't know that Usurper were from Chicago. I think it wasn't until like 2002 when their Twilight Dominion album came out that I found out they were local.

Good article.

Being a veteran of the old school metal scene here, Thristy Whale, Iron Rail, Chances R, Metro (circa 80s), Exit (when it was on Wells st) etc... The original scene had a couple established bars which were the place for metal and they stayed that way for a while. Unfortunately when these places closed down like the Whale, Smilers, and others the "scene" faded away. Even now we still have places that used to support metal that are still iffy about it, Joes on Weed st used have a metal night and get national acts in, Metro geez they get 3 metal shows a year, DoubleDoor has hosted the AleHorn fest now for 2 years but still not easy for local metal bands to get into. Its hard to get a scene going when there is no infrastructure to support it.

We need is to have have dedicated metal nights at more clubs and more venues to start having metal acts. As it is right now there are small pockets for the metal scene like Lansing and Mokena, some small areas in the city. The Metro and Joes needs to start working on getting national acts back in the City, Pearl Room is an excellent venue however for native Chicagoans they're not going to hit PR after work to hang out and see whos playing there for the sake of going out.

There are lots of good Chicago bands though the scene isnt what it used to be and its not the bands fault.

Good article.

Being a veteran of the old school metal scene here, Thristy Whale, Iron Rail, Chances R, Metro (circa 80s), Exit (when it was on Wells st) etc... The original scene had a couple established bars which were the place for metal and they stayed that way for a while. Unfortunately when these places closed down like the Whale, Smilers, and others the "scene" faded away. Even now we still have places that used to support metal that are still iffy about it, Joes on Weed st used have a metal night and get national acts in, Metro geez they get 3 metal shows a year, DoubleDoor has hosted the AleHorn fest now for 2 years but still not easy for local metal bands to get into. Its hard to get a scene going when there is no infrastructure to support it.

We need is to have have dedicated metal nights at more clubs and more venues to start having metal acts. As it is right now there are small pockets for the metal scene like Lansing and Mokena, some small areas in the city. The Metro and Joes needs to start working on getting national acts back in the City, Pearl Room is an excellent venue however for native Chicagoans they're not going to hit PR after work to hang out and see whos playing there for the sake of going out.

There are lots of good Chicago bands though the scene isnt what it used to be and its not the bands fault.

I totally agree. There are lots of little pockets all over but there is no central location for metal in chicago. Pearl Room is way too far, Metro will never dedicate a night for metal, Double Door either. Metal is back but not back enough to make a club profitable. It is hard all around from bands not being able to get shows, to lots of clubs just not dedicating itself to metal.

Unfortunatly this is a discussion that could go on forever on what could and can be done but until someone steps up or a club steps up...it isnt going to happen.

We need more glam back in the metal scene, ala Sphynx, Wee Be Toyz, D'Molls...
That was the shit yo!!!
(Well, at least their was more eye candy at those shows!! :lol:)

The Whale was a cool little club. I do miss that place.

Sadly as much as I hated the venue overall the Whale was a good bar for scene.

Smilers was worse for seeing bands (lack of stage) but it was a place that everyone used to go to.

Amazingly Nite Caps has been around just as long as those places and they've made some improvements to the band room such as a stage extension and the room looks nicer (those bad sports drawings are covered up). The bar has potential but the owners wont go the extra step with it. I know that the bar in the band room was made by their father and they dont want to tear it down but really it needs to come out of that room and make a small bar against the back wall. Rip the bar out and build up the stage a little more and it would be decent room, still very small but it would be about the size of the beat kitchen.

Has anyone been to the Village, its just North of Superdog? I've seen that they've started booking some metal bands there but dont know what its like.

there is a new club...right now they are doing mostly punk/hardcore and indie stuff. It is a bit past Columbia College. The guys who booked at Fireside Bowl / Bottom Lounge are pretty much doing all thier shows out of there. There is a record store call Record Breakers next door too. Who have metal and punk. I think the club is off of State Street. I guess the neighboorhood is crap though.

Chicago's new little secret metal bar which is starting to get more & more popular is the Cobra Lounge. It's the metal equivalent to the Exit (more punk than metal) & it kicks ass! I've also heard that they have bands there once in a while. It can easily become a place to just go hang out & check out new underground bands.

Best metal atmosphere for a small club that I've seen in a LONG time!!! :kickass:

I have passed it by I think.
I assume that is the club where on the outside, there is just a big red sign with a black cobra on it???

Bob - The Methadones have played there, I think.