AA Is for quitters
Feb 4, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept

CONCERTLINE/DAILY MUSIC HIGHLIGHTS

Celebrating 20 years, Anthrax on the attack

SATURDAY

Anthrax, (also Sunday) at House of Blues, 329 N. Dearborn St. $25. 312-923-2000. One of the first bands to merge thrash and hardcore punk, and later metal with rap, Anthrax is commemorating its 20th anniversary by touring with its original lineup for the first time in 13 years. According to drummer Charlie Benante, the quintet's decision to reunite was prompted by the death of Pantera/Damageplan guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. "Darrell's death changed the way I think," says Benante. "I didn't know if everyone would be around in a few years. I'm also glad [previous vocalist] Joey Belladonna wanted to do something special." Former guitarist Danny Spitz is also on board, rounding out a unit that Benante says will focus exclusively on old-school gems. "We're going to come out and do material from 1985 to 1991. For fans, it's going to more of question of what they're not going to hear. As we go on, we'll add obscure songs to the set." A Chicago transplant, Benante credits the group's New York roots for its staying power. "It's that `we won't be defeated' attitude more than anything. So many bands have jumped on this and that, and then fallen by the wayside. We just stay true to what we do and what we know, and try things if we really like them." Even though Anthrax already has outlasted most of its contemporaries, Benante claims thoughts of retiring never cross his mind. "Playing is all about the music and the audience. It's like that saying, the older you become, the better you get at what you do." (Don't Miss It)

Badatta2ud said:
We're going to come out and do material from 1985 to 1991. For fans, it's going to more of question of what they're not going to hear.
Well. that answers that question. Not that most of us believed they WOULD play Bush era songs.