Chicago shows

Bear said:
Hey Vito what up man!!!! Since Chris and Rob stepped it up last year to get Morgan Lefay and Tad Morose, I would think that a band like Kamelot would be just about right for the next fest and its in the bigger place now right? Have you seen the new place yet? Whats it called Mr. Kelly's?

Bear

I haven't been to the new place yet. I have been to the venue before it closed down and Vince bought it. It was awesome, we actually played there with Ion Vein, and Trouble a couple of years ago. I can't wait to see what bands they get to play powerfest this year. Rock on brother! :headbang:

Yippee38 said:
After meeting so damn many people from Chicago at PP this year and in the past, I wonder why bands like Kamelot and Sonata Arctica skip Chicago. Any theories?

Sonata are not skipping Chicago. They will be here on Jan 26th I believe, with Into Eternity, AGAIN!.

Chicago get sall sorts of shows. you just have to look for them. there were tons of people who had no clue that Hammerfall/Edguy played even. There is Power fest, Classic Metalfest, plus tons of smaller shows all the time. Two weeks ago The Chasm/Usurper/Sabbat played. Novembers Doom played a while back to. There is no shortage of shows skipping Chicago. Sure Rhapsody/Manowar skipped Chicago which was odd. But there is always a show to go to. Leaves Eyes is this weekend at the Metro.

Diabolik said:
Sonata are not skipping Chicago. They will be here on Jan 26th I believe, with Into Eternity, AGAIN!.

Chicago get sall sorts of shows. you just have to look for them. there were tons of people who had no clue that Hammerfall/Edguy played even. There is Power fest, Classic Metalfest, plus tons of smaller shows all the time. Two weeks ago The Chasm/Usurper/Sabbat played. Novembers Doom played a while back to. There is no shortage of shows skipping Chicago. Sure Rhapsody/Manowar skipped Chicago which was odd. But there is always a show to go to. Leaves Eyes is this weekend at the Metro.

If anybody plans to go see Leaves Eyes at the metro, get there at 1:20 because we go on at 1:30-1:50 :D

Diabolik said:

that tour is NOT happening, unfortunately. after the tour with Opeth, Into Eternity is going to work on their new album...maybe they should take some time off, they sure dont tour enough.

On the contrary, I think there's a surplus of shows to see in the Chicago area. So Manowar and Rhapsody didn't come here. What about the fifty other tours that came through over the summer? The problem is that nobody knows about the shows. Sometimes, it's a matter of poor promotion. Other times (and I lean toward this side of the fence), it's a matter of people not looking hard enough. If anybody in the Chicagoland area wants to find out what shows are coming, they can easily grab a copy of the Chicago Reader (published weekly) or the Illinois Entertainer (published monthly, with a greater focus on the metal scene). Though the Reader is only available on the north side, you can get the Entertainer at just about any music store in the area. Take one glance and then tell me if there's a shortage of metal shows in Chicago!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
If anybody in the Chicagoland area wants to find out what shows are coming, they can easily grab a copy of the Chicago Reader (published weekly) or the Illinois Entertainer (published monthly, with a greater focus on the metal scene). Though the Reader is only available on the north side, you can get the Entertainer at just about any music store in the area. Take one glance and then tell me if there's a shortage of metal shows in Chicago!

I've never even heard of the Chicago Reader. Is that something that would only be available in the city? I used to get the Illinois Entertainer every time I'd stop into Impulse Music (about every other week). Since I don't drive past that on my way home from work anymore, and generally don't buy music in stores anymore, I never see it. IE always infuriated me because they seem to only cater to the underground pop scene. The few metal reviews I've seen in there were all dismissive. Hell, the Daily Herald had better metal coverage than IE (I remember reading article about Amorphis and another about Blind Guardian).

Met-Al said:
On the contrary, I think there's a surplus of shows to see in the Chicago area. So Manowar and Rhapsody didn't come here. What about the fifty other tours that came through over the summer? The problem is that nobody knows about the shows. Sometimes, it's a matter of poor promotion. Other times (and I lean toward this side of the fence), it's a matter of people not looking hard enough. If anybody in the Chicagoland area wants to find out what shows are coming, they can easily grab a copy of the Chicago Reader (published weekly) or the Illinois Entertainer (published monthly, with a greater focus on the metal scene). Though the Reader is only available on the north side, you can get the Entertainer at just about any music store in the area. Take one glance and then tell me if there's a shortage of metal shows in Chicago!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

i agree. IE has informed me of a lot of shows i would have otherwise missed. that said, i dont see a shortage of metal shows in chicago. the problem is that the bands i want to see not only skip chicago, but the entire US.

Hey.
Yippee38, the Reader is only available in the city. I know that you can pick it up at any north side venue, the Exit, or any music store in that area with the exception of Metal Haven. RockyRaccoon, I don't know what to tell you about not getting to see the bands you want other than to move to Europe. Personally, I think there are a lot of great bands who hit Chicago, and I don't just mean metal bands.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

www.metalupdate.com was the best site ever for tour information and the like, it gets all the metal tour listings.

Only thing is that as of August tour date updates are "forthcoming." So they're not updating currently. Hopefully it will be back in action soon enough though.

rockyracoon said:
i agree. IE has informed me of a lot of shows i would have otherwise missed. that said, i dont see a shortage of metal shows in chicago. the problem is that the bands i want to see not only skip chicago, but the entire US.

That's what Prog Power is for! : )
Hope you had a great time at Strato! Nice meeting you!
(see, I'm not such a prick!) :D

Met-Al said:
Hey.
Yippee38, the Reader is only available in the city. I know that you can pick it up at any north side venue, the Exit, or any music store in that area with the exception of Metal Haven.

The only time I get into the city, is when there is a concert. ;)

I'll have to make a more concerted (haha, get it? Pun) effort to pick up the IE regulary.