Children Of Bodom on MTV2!!!

Zarok666

Sith happens
Nov 15, 2001
Germany
I just read that on Blabbermouth:

CHILDREN OF BODOM: 'Needled 24/7' Video To Debut This Weekend - Apr. 22, 2004

CHILDREN OF BODOM's video for "Needled 24/7" will make its "Headbanger's Ball" debut this Saturday, April 24. In addition, the band will be the featured guests on the May 8 episode of the popular MTV2 show.

CHILDREN OF BODOM recently completed work on a new EP, "Trashed, Lost & Strungout", due this summer through Spinefarm Records. The CD was recorded at Astia studio with Anssi Kippo, and it was mixed by Mikko Karmila at Finnvox Studios.

"Trashed, Lost & Strungout" will include two new songs, a couple of cover versions and "a lot of extra stuff," according to a posting on the band's web site.

CHILDREN OF BODOM have just returned to the U.S. on tour with ICED EARTH and EVERGREY in support of highly acclaimed disc, "Hate Crew Deathroll".

Sounds cool. I hope they will get a lot more attention even though the video sucks. But the guest appearance in the show sounds even better. Who of you American fellows will record it?

this is just the beginning of the complete and utter US invasion CoB will be taking part in. Its about time good music comes to light for the masses.

@darkness
im half assed serious.

im just tired of seeing shit bands and the same shit genre's dominate the airwaves in this corrupt system of mass media here in the states due to the conglomeration of certain outlets with the same few people basing the output of bands based soley on the statistics of how much $$ they can make.

as far as i know, other good bands havent done interviews with mtv/vh1 whatever....so im glad to see that they (tv/radio) is starting to open up to other genres of music. granted CoB is my favorite band, and im glad that they will be on, but i would be just as happy to see another band of the same relative type on

dilema1362 said:
this is just the beginning of the complete and utter US invasion CoB will be taking part in. Its about time good music comes to light for the masses.

I don't think so at all. It would be a nightmare for me if COB became fuckin' mainstream. I think their popularity rating is enough. I wouldn't like to see them in every fuckin' magazine together with POD, Korn and whatsoever. :erk:

i dont mean mainstream. dont get me wrong, i dont want every little 14yearold mall goth sporting a hatecrew tshirt, but as a mass communitcation major, i think that this is showing a steady move towards 1 of 2 things, either a) a breakthrough in music and media by slightly changing general policy and practices by the realization of just how saturated the market is with talentless bullshit. or b) the beginnings of bodom selling out. and i dont think its the latter of the two. but granted i may be very wrong about both of these, and there is probably many other possibilities as well.

I thought Needled 24/7 was already on Headbanger's Ball, someone told me they saw it.

Btw, there already are 14-year old angsty teenage goths with Hatecrew shirts. Most ppl have no idea how many 'teenyboppers' (for lack of a better word) like CoB's music. I hope they do get more popular, but I hope they don't fall into the "rockstar" mindset, like -every- (that I know of) other band who has ever made lots of money. I wouldn't mind CoB being popular as long as it doesn't go to their head... they are very cool, down-to-earth ppl from everything I've heard, but so was (or is) every other band that became laughable cariacatures of their former selves (Metallica, Slayer, and In Flames come to mind in vivid, unpleasant detail, but there are many many more).

@dilemma: I'd never say that pop music could get more depth to it, cause when it does it stops becoming popular. CoB is catchy enough for lots of ppl to find common ground with, despite the vocals (actually those kinda vocals are rather 'mainstream' anyways now). Pop music will always rely on the short song/catchy chorus formula, it's a fundamental law... heh.

Stun said:
I@dilemma: I'd never say that pop music could get more depth to it, cause when it does it stops becoming popular. CoB is catchy enough for lots of ppl to find common ground with, despite the vocals (actually those kinda vocals are rather 'mainstream' anyways now). Pop music will always rely on the short song/catchy chorus formula, it's a fundamental law... heh.
thats only been true though in the more recent years since music became a business run by "suits" who didnt know their ass from their elbow when it came to good music. What is determined to be "popular" is what these music executives decide by solely relying on numbers/statistics, so they pump out as much of the same thing at once as they can. this music is then overplayed to such an extent that a vast majority of people begin to get into the song/artist/genre and end up buying cd's which just feeds the system. its cheaper and more cost benificial to spend money on creating this shit, marketing it, and make alot of money fast than it is to spend money on a really good band, have them start off slowly, and then gain in popularity (i.e.-make more money)
its sad, pathetic, and depressing to know and continue to learn about how the media really works. it's so fucked up to realize its not about entertainment, but rather making money, and brainwashing people into thinking and believing certain things to get a desired responce (i.e.-getting certain politicians elected, preventing opposing viewpoints from being heard, etc.) the direction that media is going in America is completely destroying the last bit of democracy that we retained. :erk:

god....look what i got myself into, i could go on and on but now i need a butt and im late for class.

so long till later.

Im personally with Sister Of Sorrow here. I wouldn't really like seeing Alexi on the page of Kerrang! or something, and for them to be all over the TV. I think the bands stature in the metal world is perfect at the moment. As they all are respected for their instruments and their fan base is very dedicated. I wouldn't like if I was walking through town and started seeing as many Bodom shirts as I do Slipknot ones now.

Day_Before_Dawn said:
Im personally with Sister Of Sorrow here. I wouldn't really like seeing Alexi on the page of Kerrang! or something, and for them to be all over the TV. I think the bands stature in the metal world is perfect at the moment. As they all are respected for their instruments and their fan base is very dedicated. I wouldn't like if I was walking through town and started seeing as many Bodom shirts as I do Slipknot ones now.

That's exactly what I mean :) .

dilema1362 said:
its sad, pathetic, and depressing to know and continue to learn about how the media really works. it's so fucked up to realize its not about entertainment, but rather making money, and brainwashing people into thinking and believing certain things to get a desired responce (i.e.-getting certain politicians elected, preventing opposing viewpoints from being heard, etc.) the direction that media is going in America is completely destroying the last bit of democracy that we retained.

I can imagine that quite well, and I agree with pretty much of what you say. But wtf, COB don't need to become more popular and gain more attention in the media cos WE already know and appreciate them, and we don't have to revolutionize the people that are used to listen to shitty mainstream music :p . I'd be happy if their fame stayed just like that.
And I cannot really imagine that the COB guys lose the ground under their feet. If that happened I'd probably give'em up :erk: .

Day_Before_Dawn said:
P.S.(Pre-script)-This is the 2nd time I've edited this because it got deleted, so im posting it again though its not quite the way i had it before which i thought was exactly what i wanted to say, so i kinda rushed it this time)
P.P.S.-i dont want anyone to think im speaking to them directly (because im not) so the word "you" is a very generalized statement.

I dont think it will ever come to the point of CoB being at that slipknot status for a number of reasons and i will once again list them so i can try and not sound like a complete idiot (though i know i am)
  1. CoB doesnt really have that "i wanna be different from everyone else just like all my friends" appeal that bands such as slipknot and cradle of filth have.
  2. Considering the fact that Alexi doesnt really have specific lyrics for a good number of his songs, its hard for those obnoxious mallgoth bastards to cling on to the super depressing "i wanna kill myself/i hate everyone" lyrics they love so much. granted there's Hate Me and Youre better off dead, but i dont think thats enough to hook an obnoxious cult following.

3) CoB's music is very uplifting (compared to a lot of metal) and I don’t think these people (that we are refering too) can handle that. They are drawn to bad, really agressive, angry, "im gonna go kick the shit out of someone" music, that doesnt require any sort of active listening (or talent from the band for that matter)

what i was originally trying to say is that there are a lot of real music fans (and musicians alike) that dont go out of their way and look for bands like Bodom (@darkness, im just using them as an example because we were talking about them specifically to begin with:),) and i think that by getting a bit of radio airplay, it would allow more people to be subjected to the diversity of these "underground" bands because these are the people that could actually appreciate the musicianship and talent put behind the music.

and finally, i may be a little too optimistic about this (and im also being slightly over exaggerative and facetious,) but its possible that with a higher concentration of talented bands such as CoB in the public eye, it could possibly push the musical trends towards something a bit more...enjoyable? entertaining? involved? listenable? which could motivate people to start other bands and take this idea of talent, musicianship and songwriting and bring it to a whole new level. Im not suggesting Bodom clone bands, but rather that it could...COULD...lead to the evolution of music into something that most people could at the very least appreciate………kinda like Right-Said-Fred :D :p

I believe that the whole reason behind writing music and playing it publicly, or taking part in any art form for that matter, is to present to others what you have felt/are feeling, and it allows those who have felt the same feelings as you, and who think similar things as you, to take in what you have to offer for enjoyment and sometimes a sense of comfort.

I, myself, have introduced a number of people to CoB, but its always people that I know will appreciate the music for what it is and the talent behind it, and I believe essentially that’s what some media exposure could do in this case. Granted it’s a double edged sword because no matter what the case, you will always get what some people like to call "posers," but that wont change. So I ask you this…for those of you who consider yourselves part of a "dedicated fan base" for a band that’s brought forth music that you and many others enjoy so extensively, why would you want to deny that enjoyment to others who would enjoy it much the way you do? They could possibly be the next generation of dedicated "tr00 fans" (whatever the fuck that means) and I think that it all sounds rather selfish……but mind you I am in no way saying that I’m immune to any or all of what I’ve said.

As for wherever the guys of CoB decide to go down the road, its really only their call but from what I can tell they all seem to have good heads on their shoulders and I don’t get the vibe from the way things have been progressing that they are about the fame and fortune, but rather instead about the art form that is the music…..and that’s just how it should be and i think it will continue to remain that way for quite some time.

Of cource that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

a band as good and "true metal" as CoB doesn't deserve poser mall goth fans, or rather, they don't deserve to be fans of Bodom. But then again, a band like Bodom might make them realize how shitty stuff like slipknot is. Honestly, I think something as power/thrash sounding as Bodom would probably fly right over most of their heads too.

good example...

arch enemy was on awhile back...i compare their situation to CoB's in a way..still well respected and noted in EUROPE but not so much over here really. They were profiled on headbangers, got some vids played, and whammo....4 months later..is there any change? No, not really. The genre thats hot right now is metalcore. It will soon become the new nu-metal in my opinion, and I dont see CoB or any other similar band really being propelled to the heights of say slipknot, pantera , etc... at least in the states. They're still far from their prime, and they ARE on their way to the top ... their still fairly underground if you think about it...Yeah, id be annoyed by the goth kids grabbing up music and shirts..but they probably will...because COB are different from most of what they probably hear...their another band with screaming vocals to annoy the preps with, etc etc blah blah blah...but you have to think to yourself. So what if someone goes "oh wow he's wearing an X band shirt..all those stupid goth kids like X band. what a fag" ..okay? so what? you're not their friend anyway, so why would you care? I'm not about to burn my CoB apparell or any other bands for that matter, just because stupid people like them...hording bands to keep them "secret" or special is just plain gay. and yeah...it wont happen too soon. the only american record labels WILLING to take in new bands like CoB are labels that are semi famous like Metal Blade...etc... okay..no more ranting.

does someone want to record that interview / video thing and send it too me. I dont get mtv but instead much music, and ive seen them play CoB a few times. they played the video for needled almost right when hate crew deathroll was released in Europe.........please record and send someone