Choosing a kick drum

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have decided recently that I want to purchase my own kick drum. Perhaps someday I will buy a full studio kit, but for right now I would really love to have a decent kick drum that I can spend my own time experimenting with, using different tunings, microphones, heads, pillows, etc in order to achieve "my own" kick drum sound. I know I can buy good samples, but I would rather create my own. So my question is...

What do I choose? What brand? What size? What kind of wood should I focus on? What kind of heads? I would preferably like a kick drum that doesn't have holes drilled in the top for mounting toms, as I'm 99% positive that it would sound better without the holes. I'm also looking in maybe the $500 range? Less if I can get away with it, but I don't want to skimp out when I shouldn't, either.

I know that heads and other related kick drum subject matter has been discussed a little bit in the past, but so far as I know, not in these terms.

Thanks!

Maybe you can look to buy more sizes. I personally prefer 20" kicks for metal-ish type of sounds and playability but most people use 22" so I guess thats the way to go.

Ebay for killer deals, slap some good heads on them and off you go.

you can have one of the MANY custom drum companies out here on the west coast make you one... probably for right around the $400-$500 range...

Or, if you're up to it, you could experiment and buy your own shell and hardware and put one together yourself... (the latter not being as easy).

That's a really cool idea dude! I second your request for info (but just to be clear, I don't care enough about all the nuances like I would with guitar gear, so I'm content to stick with a major brand rather than something custom-built)

I have decided recently that I want to purchase my own kick drum. Perhaps someday I will buy a full studio kit, but for right now I would really love to have a decent kick drum that I can spend my own time experimenting with, using different tunings, microphones, heads, pillows, etc in order to achieve "my own" kick drum sound. I know I can buy good samples, but I would rather create my own. So my question is...

What do I choose? What brand? What size? What kind of wood should I focus on? What kind of heads? I would preferably like a kick drum that doesn't have holes drilled in the top for mounting toms, as I'm 99% positive that it would sound better without the holes. I'm also looking in maybe the $500 range? Less if I can get away with it, but I don't want to skimp out when I shouldn't, either.

I know that heads and other related kick drum subject matter has been discussed a little bit in the past, but so far as I know, not in these terms.

Thanks!

hey check this out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-FS-18X22-Bass-Drum?sku=444578

its a pretty good deal. i have one of the full pacific birch kits and its an amazing kit for the money. i also have a custom built Grover maple drum set and i think the pacific compares favorably. not better or worse just different. if you can tune it, this kick will do the job for sure. as far as the hole goes, you can plug it if you need to. by the way pacific drums is owned by dw and the drums go through many of the same processes. good luck in your search.

That kick looks cool, thanks dude. I will consider it, but it does have stuff drilled into the top for tom mounting...am I right in thinking that a kick will sound better if I specifically buy one that is as "sealed" as possible, other than the hole in the front head obviously?

...if the hardware mount doesn't matter, that Pacific sounds like a really good idea.

That kick looks cool, thanks dude. I will consider it, but it does have stuff drilled into the top for tom mounting...am I right in thinking that a kick will sound better if I specifically buy one that is as "sealed" as possible, other than the hole in the front head obviously?

...if the hardware mount doesn't matter, that Pacific sounds like a really good idea.
i think if you plug the hole it wont matter. some drummers still like to mount the toms on the kick for whatever reason and the mounting hole comes in handy. i dont think the hole will make or break the drum. the venting could actually help in some cases.

I personally think the tom mounting holes through the top sound like shit.

The best kick I've ever heard in person was a 24" DW. I'd generally look for 22/24" kicks made of Maple or Birch.

Best kick i ever heard was a DW, and was a large one, get tomething like that, maybe expensive but is the best you can have

Yeah I'm thinking of ordering a DW 24" without the hardware mount on the top. Not sure how much it will be, but I will keep you guys posted. It looks like you can't order directly from DW, so I guess I'll be going to Guitar Center to talk with my friend.

if you are planning on double bass a 22" maple is the way to go i'd recommend the mapex pro m wipes the floor with the tama starclassic which is twice as expensive

If I get to a point where I want a whole kit, I would probably end up buying it all at once instead of just adding toms as an afterthought...and can an extra two inches on the kick drum really make the toms that much higher? Anyway, I've noticed several comments in favor of the 24", and I'm assuming that's because it can get a little bit beefier sounding?

i own a pearl brx set - and this is one of the better sounding and more expensive kits.
when i record a clients' set i always notice that cheaper shells sound cheaper!!

all those yamaha stage customs or sonor force... and tama superstars are not in the same league.

what i noticed with cheaper shells is:

- harder to tune, or need to be retuned more often within the recording process

- higher amount of overtones that you just can't get rid of, just by dampening the skins a lot, what makes the sound a bit dull

a pearl brx bassdrum will be around 500-600 €, but it's worth it.

mine is a 20", 22" works as well - 24" would be too high for my setup.

you won't get a really loose and "bonhamish" sound out of a 20" bassdrum - but i never wanted to.
it depends on what you're looking for

skins:

my favorite is remo powerstroke clear on batter and reso (with a small hole for the reso)
fallam slam on the beater side, small pillow inside the bassdrum, touching the batter skin - that's it!!

great sound!!:headbang:

I went with the Sonor Force 3005 for my "house" kit. It has a 20" kick drum and I've been very happy with it so far. It sounds great, holds a variety of tunings well, and leaves plenty of adjustment room for my toms. :)

I have a 24" kick drum and it sounds great alone, but with heavier music, it's a PITA to mix....a 20" or 22" kick is a much more versatile choice, IMO

So sound-wise, is the biggest difference between a 20" and 22" going to be the low end? And although there is undoubtedly a difference, I'm sure it's pretty slight...?