Chord progressions

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
would anyone with more knowledge than i like to share some chord progressions from the funeral portrait? i would like to play along to some parts.
thanks in advance

uhm. i did not know of these websites. i am not a computer geek. thanks for the links.

anyone care to define what a chord progression is? i understand it to some extent but have never had it defined...

my understanding is that a chord progression is the arrangement of chords in the song, usually repeating whenever the player sees fit to repeat the progression. i beleive riffs to also be part of the chord progression. as i understand it, even chugging away at an open E string would be considered part of the chord progression (even though someone might call it a "riff") as it could be considered just one note of the E chord. when i look through song books i notice the chord names and hence, progression, are named above the notes, whether it is a full three or four note chord or just one note of the chord. anyone else want to weigh in here?

is it just me, or are the last 3 or 4 minutes absolutely fucking amazing....that chord progression at the end is spine-chilling....that song makes me sweat.

chord progression is just how a song changes chords. its a really simple concept, nothing really complex. any note that is played is usually played in a certain key signature, and those notes are also usually played in relation to the chord that is presently being played. the order in which that progresses with the chords is chord progression. If any of you have marty friedmans melodic control(video), you will understand.

True. Chords are just combinations of notes sounding together "in harmony." When these chords change from one to the next, a chord progression takes place. Some chord progressions sound smooth, some don't. Opeth uses REALLY wierd chords. An open E string wouldn't really be a "chord in a progression," per se, but it could help to reflect on the chord at hand (this E is part of the A minor chord, etc.). Modulation, like Moonlapse said, is just a change of key ("key" being the definition of whichever note to which the other notes "resolve"), and this happens through specific progressions.

Mind you, I say "specific" in the technical sense, because metal doesn't usually change keys mathematically like classical music does. It just kinda happens. :D

Scourge of Amalek said:
True. Chords are just combinations of notes sounding together "in harmony." When these chords change from one to the next, a chord progression takes place. Some chord progressions sound smooth, some don't. Opeth uses REALLY wierd chords. An open E string wouldn't really be a "chord in a progression," per se, but it could help to reflect on the chord at hand (this E is part of the A minor chord, etc.). Modulation, like Moonlapse said, is just a change of key ("key" being the definition of whichever note to which the other notes "resolve"), and this happens through specific progressions.

Mind you, I say "specific" in the technical sense, because metal doesn't usually change keys mathematically like classical music does. It just kinda happens. :D

thanks. allow me to go and try to figure all this out without emerging completely confused

observe The Guitar Book by adam kadmon...or any variant of the same. dont get confused, music isnt rocket science. if you do anyway, thats ok too.

Chord progression is kind of hard to explain.. like i said its very simple, dont overcomplicate the meaning. There isnt a real specific definition for it, just understand what it is and what people mean when they say it.

i know, but it's not just that thanks to moonlapse i have to find a good example of a key change in metal so i can understand that. at which point i'll find something else new, and fairly soon i'll end up going through classical music and experimental jazz for stuff.