Chord progressions from hell!!

GreenEyezzz

JPM addict
Jan 30, 2004
Hey!!

I can't believe how much Opeth blows me away by using the most beautiful chord progressions I have ever heard. I am currently tabbing 'Windowpane' and damn it sounds so soothing yet EVIL!!!!!!
Does anyone has any clue about what I call 'evil songwriting'?
I mean I know tons of VI-V-I progressions and ii-V-I and shit like that, but that is all just theory!! It is cool to see how simple chords that anyone knows and even a monkey is able to play, are transformed into this unbelievable record!!! (talking damnation here, although the rest kicks ass as well of course) I mean, play Gbm - D and Db/F - Gbm - D and you have the entire song! Brilliant!! And here I am still going through all my shapes and scales and sweeps and two handed tapping shit and will never be able to top the melodicity (is that even a word?) that Opeth seems to deliver over a fortnight (a bit exaggerated)!!

So, anyone else has this feeling and maybe has got some cool black evil melodramatic chord progressions they wish to share? (that's why I open this thread) I fucking luve the way Gbm goes to Cm damn!!!!

Sven

Reactions: TheFourthHorseman
if you want a powerful chord progression, listen to...

the last minute of april ethereal
around 5 to 6 minutes in to serenity painted death
the simple dual octave riff in demon of the fall
all of the drapery falls

oh, theres too many