Chris & Di Marzio!!!

mordor74

New Metal Member
Jan 16, 2009
Hello Chris!

Been watching you for a while, i was really happy to see you join one of my fave bands. I think you are the best addiction to megadeth lineup since Marty.

Really loved especally the rehearsals/nevermore video and tone there was awesome.

While you join DiMarzio i was setting up my first seven string guitar so i wonder what models will you choose. Just about to buy my first dimarzio instead of usual Duncans!

I was thinking about PAF7 at the neck (tested on a APEX1, really sharp clean sounding!) and D Activator for the bridge. I know they are a bit unbalanced, maybe neck good for clean and less good for tapping, but i think this could work well with my style... (never really loved tapping until i see some of your youtube video... now i'm learning some 2 hand lick... :p).

He got endorsed by dimarzio just before NAMM, so i wonder i'll still use BK anymore!

I'm also really surprised he did not get endorsed by dean and duncan just like Dave.

Nothing against Dean, they make a good job building a cheap Mustaine signature setneck but i still hope in a RGA7 Broderick Signature for the next year!

I guess Chris is the first guitarist in 'Deth in a while who actually dares to play stuff he likes , not something Dave has told him to play.

Well if you look at megadeth's past who has actually played what dave used.

Jeff Young played Jackson's, and then Dave switched to Jackson

Poland played various guitars and Dave stayed with Jackson

Marty played Jackson's toward the end of Cacophony he didn't switch cause Dave played them.

In addition:
Marty used CRATE amps the BV120s and Dave always played his Marshalls with Rocktrons till recently.

As for Chris, hes not a follower, He plays his Ibanez's, he Plays his Engl's, I am sure he switched to DiMarzio cause they are:

1. A US company and it doesn't take 2 weeks and extra shipping to get pup's

2. Have great customer support

3. Have great pickups

I am guessing that he will go with a PAF in the neck and a Detonator in the bridge, it would be similar to the current Bare Knucle setup hes using. The Detonator is very similar to the NailBomb

He got endorsed by dimarzio just before NAMM, so i wonder i'll still use BK anymore!

I'm also really surprised he did not get endorsed by dean and duncan just like Dave.

Nothing against Dean, they make a good job building a cheap Mustaine signature setneck but i still hope in a RGA7 Broderick Signature for the next year!

Cool, my bad then.

I'm assuming by "Detonator" you actually meant D-Activator, right? The Detonator is a POS Duncan Designed cheapo clone of the Duncan Invader, IIRC.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what Chris chooses as his new combo(s) for the sevens.

Regs,
Jeff

Marty was playing Carvin when he was first auditioned for Megadeth. In many interviews Dave states that Marty playing was awesome but tone was a big issue, so they do a second audition with marty playing a replica of the Mustaine setup. Then Marty start playing Jackson guitars, Usually RR and some times a Firebird (must say that jackson gives him more custom shop guitars in a year than Ibanez in many years! :p ). I think that firebird was the basis for his Kelly model that comes some time after Rust in pace was recorded.

Marty leaves Jackson and Megadeth at the same time, dont konw if it's casuality... Jackson was just bought by Fender and Endorse usually expires just before winter namm :p .

So... Friedman, Pitrelli and Drover where all endorsed with the same guitar brand and we all thinked that was part of the megadeth business... in fact Pitrelli and Drover didnt have an endorsment before... maybe they dont have one now!

Hope Chris will give us soon news on its pickup!

I'm assuming by "Detonator" you actually meant D-Activator, right? The Detonator is a POS Duncan Designed cheapo clone of the Duncan Invader, IIRC.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what Chris chooses as his new combo(s) for the sevens.

Regs,
Jeff

HA HA HA .... Ya My-Bad, its that same pup Petrucci's been using. It's actually pretty nice. Cleans up real well. I had one in my Les Paul for a few weeks but I went back to my Bare Knuckle and sold in on Ebay.

I do that crap WAYYY to often ...lol

HA HA HA .... Ya My-Bad, its that same pup Petrucci's been using. It's actually pretty nice. Cleans up real well. I had one in my Les Paul for a few weeks but I went back to my Bare Knuckle and sold in on Ebay.

I do that crap WAYYY to often ...lol

I thought Petrucci used D-sonics.....

Marty played Jackson's toward the end of Cacophony he didn't switch cause Dave played them.

In addition:
Marty used CRATE amps the BV120s and Dave always played his Marshalls with Rocktrons till recently.

As for Chris, hes not a follower, He plays his Ibanez's, he Plays his Engl's, I am sure he switched to DiMarzio cause they are:

3. Have great pickups

I am guessing that he will go with a PAF in the neck and a Detonator in the bridge, it would be similar to the current Bare Knucle setup hes using. The Detonator is very similar to the NailBomb

Dave started playing Jacksons back when Poland was on his second stint in the band. [ame]http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZAAJwlj8gw[/ame]

Dave started out playing B.C. Riches in Megadeth, same B.C. Rich he had in Metallica and Poland also played B.C.'s.

Proof of Marty playing Jacksons pre-Megadeth please. [ame]http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_wpm3GMd4[/ame] Looks more like a Carvin to me and if he had started playing Jacksons, it'd made a lot more sense bringing a Jackson. Dave said in an interview that Marty was playing guitars that looked like canoe-paddles and looking at that, I can't say that he was wrong. :lol:

In addition:

Way off.

Dave played BC Riches back in the Metallica days. He switched to Jacksons, like Sjusovaren said, when Poland was on his second stint with the band. For proof look at the Peace Sells era pictures. Gar actually broke his first Jackson custom shop, the basis for the KV1 that was introduced in the nineties by Jackson.

THEN Jeff came. He played Kramers and I've never seen him even hold a Jackson, and just to be 100% sure, I went through every live picture of Jeff, and he always had his Kramers. On stage or off.

Marty played Carvins all the way through Cacophony. He then got endorsement by Jackson, and as Jackson was introducing production line guitars at the time (prior to the nineties, all Jacksons were "custom". No assembly line type production models), Marty got a signature deal, the KE1.
Check the Sjusovaren's videos for proof. ;)

Al played Gibsons, while Dave was still playing his Jacksons. Look up "Rude Awakening" on youtube.

After some time, Dave switches to ESP, Glen comes by, playing ESPs as well. In the May 2007 issue of GuitarOne, he states that he played the Eclipses, the Eclipse Custom, and used the Axxion for the overdub sessions in the studio. He said he came to ESP when he joined the band, so that's Dave's influence for sure. I've got the mag open in front of me right now. He then joined Dean Guitars when Dave joined, and began using the Vendetta and Caddilac guitars.

I don't think Chris is going to join Dean. It's upto him, and I wholeheartedly wish the man well.

I think that firebird was the basis for his Kelly model that comes some time after Rust in pace was recorded.

Naw man, Kelly was out there before that :)
Don't quote me, but I think it was '84 when the Kelly was first made. I checked to be sure, and indeed it's in the 1984 catalogue. Have a look. http://audiozone.dk/cm/albums/jc-catalogscans/cj1984/ChJack1984Page04.jpg

I'm too waiting for an RGA7!

3. Have great pickups

Having played both I can say the D-Activator sounds almost nothing like a Nail Bomb. Having played a lot of BKPs and a lot of DiMarzios, DiMarzio must be paying him handsomely to use their stuff.

He probably made the switch for the extra exposure, which a small UK-based company wouldnt be able to provide him with. You cant really argue with that! Plus as someone mentioned, itll be much easier for him to get hold of Dimarzios in the US. I should be meeting up with him tomorrow night, so I can ask which pups he's using :)

Chris said that he's really diggin the D-activators in both bridge and the neck. According to chris they hit the amp hard and pick attack is clean and real punchy.

Those D-Activators are cool PUs. I have a set in one of my Ibanez guitars. They seem to like volume and they are accurate pickups that can expose sloppy playing, but if you're a super accurate picker (like Chris) they feel very responsive. They have a punchy big sound and they have a vey hot ouput, hence hitting the amp quite hard. I also have an Engl head and Engls love those kind of pickups! My favorite Dimarzio pickup is still the Evolution since it fits my style. I always wanted to try a BK pickup since I read so much about them. I have no problem with Chris going to Dimarzio, they make great pickups. I just hope he says with Engl since that SE is perfect for his stye.