Chris Lord-Alge video about SSL

Yeah I love Chris Lord-Alge, but this video didn't do anything in terms of addressing actual audio engineering, it was almost kind of boring just listening to him explain why he likes the workflow of a big analog console better. Good for him, he makes great mixes, but this was pretty much just meant to be a puff piece for SSL I think.

Michael Wagener's new engineer, Shalini:

Shani_Wall_of_doom.jpg

Is this serious?

Exactly.....his SSL has a pretty time consuming recall, because from what I understood...for every pot you have to turn it untill the "line" is like the one in the monitor......for hundreds pots. Isn't more time efficient a session saved on the HD?
Of course SSL is awesome but you can't say that the recalling workaround he explained is good and quick. Different story if the recalling would be fully automatic (like every fader and pot change automaticaly the position after a recall)

Exactly.....his SSL has a pretty time consuming recall, because from what I understood...for every pot you have to turn it untill the "line" is like the one in the monitor......for hundreds pots. Isn't more time efficient a session saved on the HD?
Of course SSL is awesome but you can't say that the recalling workaround he explained is good and quick. Different story if the recalling would be fully automatic (like every fader and pot change automaticaly the position after a recall)

It would be awsome if they made a desk like this...

But imagine the upkeep and all the shit that could go wrong. <shudders>

Honestly I have to agree with all of you as well, it seems like a little bit of a pain to recall on that desk. I personally wouldn't ever want anything more than maybe 24 channels and a lot of outboard. It's more time consuming but it seems simpler to recall stuff on outboard gear.

IMO .02 of course.

i don't think you have to manually turn all pots to match the white line. the sound changes when you recall the preset, then if you want to change something, you turn the pot to the white line and then proceed to your desired setting. at least that's how it'd make sense to me.

i don't think you have to manually turn all pots to match the white line. the sound changes when you recall the preset, then if you want to change something, you turn the pot to the white line and then proceed to your desired setting. at least that's how it'd make sense to me.

Yeah whilst that's be nice, that ain't the case. The computer can only record the position of pots, not change them.

Andy doesn't have the one in the video (e or g.. I can't remember)
he has a AWS 900+ se, I guess that is really a total recall console... maybe I'm wrong.

Recall is still the same as a G.... more or less. (better graphics on the TR screen)
These desk's are analogue, with digital bits shoehorned in, in a layer beneath the pots/switches/faders to record the position. They are NOT digitally conrolled analogue... awesome as that would be.

Autoscan means that it stops and displays the first channel that NEED changing as opposed to just going through each channel.