Some tips from Chris Lord-Alge...

And I think he's always emphasised that he never uses limiter on any of those..

He DEFINITELY uses a limiter.

My question was: "If you use a limiter, when do you mix into it, or put it on your master bus later on?"

Then he gave me his master bus chain, which he ALWAYS mixes IN TO, which included a limiter.

how did you like the event overall?

It was pretty cool. They gave everyone who attended a certificate for 25% off all CLA Waves plugins, which is an epic win for guize like me ;)

There were some great questions and arguments as well. Some guy was railing the Waves guys for charging so much for TDM, but there happens to be a reason for it. TDM is really pointless. They just need to write software to be able to use a quad or octo core to its fullest potential.

I've actually been doing the light chorus thing on distorted guitars lately because I was listening to some great albums like Machinehead's "Burn My Eyes" and I solo'd the left or right side when it was just guitar and I heard a phasey thing going on so I tried to copy it and it seems to make the guitars sound smoother and like they're in a more 3D space.

My question was: "If you use a limiter, when do you mix into it, or put it on your master bus later on?"

Then he gave me his master bus chain, which he ALWAYS mixes IN TO, which included a limiter.

Interesting.. Check this video http://www.recordproduction.com/chris-lord-alge-video640.html from 30:15 -->

I think this shows that he might be talking bit this and that on every interview.. or maybe he's started to use it recently.. :loco:

I also remember hearing that Ted Jensen quoted somewhere that Alge mixes are so easy to process due the skill and lack of any kind of limiting.

But as said, who cares.. Lets improve and work on our own skills and workflow. :headbang:

He could have meant an out board limiter.. ie: Vari Mu, Maselec MPL- 2, Pendulum Pl-2. Did he specify if it was hardware or software?

My impressions are that Chris is a very nice guy with a good sense of humor. He didn't have a big head at all, and really loves his work.

His closing message to all the people of the world, especially us engineers, is to BUY MUSIC and BUY RECORDING SOFTWARE. He says if people continue to steal what others worked so hard for, no audio engineer in our day and age will ever make a living. If you have any questions about how pirating music affects the economy of the United States AND the music industry, I would talk to James Murphy. He's got the best explanation possible.

Its already getting harder and harder to make a living. Kids keep stealing software, music and recording for free or next to nothing, the next generation of engineers is just fucked!

Im happy to see Cla touched on this, and that should show how important this issue really is.

Interesting.. Check this video http://www.recordproduction.com/chris-lord-alge-video640.html from 30:15 -->

I think this shows that he might be talking bit this and that on every interview.. or maybe he's started to use it recently.. :loco:

I also remember hearing that Ted Jensen quoted somewhere that Alge mixes are so easy to process due the skill and lack of any kind of limiting.

But as said, who cares.. Lets improve and work on our own skills and workflow. :headbang:

Couldn't agree more! Rob had confirmed this setup too since a whike...

Thanks a lot Gregg, great info there!

Any idea if the subwoofer he's talking about was intended for studio monitoring or is it another kind? I might just try recording mine with a d6.

sounds like he could be talking about the old Lexicon PCM42 -trick ?

Might be.. but according to some of the presets in signature series plugin he actually uses chorus and short 8-note delay on distorted (rhythm)guitars..

I believe it's all about creating the 3D-feel and sense of space. One of Alge's greatest forte IMO. I'd say it's more of a hardrock/pop type of approach still. Couldn't imagine using these much in tight modern metal production..

lolzgreg:
Did they mention anything about the structure of the plugins? Would be nice to know from which waves plugins they have built this series.. there has to be the SSL emulations, CLA comps, H-delay, LoAir, something for the pitch modulations and most interesting.. the verbs.. They sound really nice..

sounds like he could be talking about the old Lexicon PCM42 -trick ?

Don't think so. Of course, the PCM 42 is a delay unit but the "trick" refers to overriding the input limiters (as you know), not actually using it for a delay effect (what you can do additionally, ofc). I think he simply meant adding some delay or he would have worded it differently.

There wasn't somebody who asked specifically about the PCM 42 - by chance, Greg?

And thanks for the write-up!