Church of Australian Metal

Saw them live, hated it. Didn't much care for their studio stuff either, though not completely terrible.

Weird that they're the only Aussie band you like, especially since you seem to like tech death and we gave the genre Psycroptic.

Yeah mate if you haven't heard Psycroptic check them out.

There's also another awesome tech-death band from Tassie, can't remember their name, but they have a killer song called "Plagues". Can anyone help me out here?

EDIT: The band is called Separatist.

Reactions: CiG
Saw them live, hated it. Didn't much care for their studio stuff either, though not completely terrible.

Weird that they're the only Aussie band you like, especially since you seem to like tech death and we gave the genre Psycroptic.
yeah they're good. A bit too formulaic for me. I remember even writing to them praising how they're one of the only tech-death bands who really write songs, rather than just string a bunch of technical bits together. They replied they thought so too..

The Amenta. Mind blown back when I discovered them. Leaving the musical allure aside, if you get into the lyrics as well, the whole nihilistic feel of the album... it's one of the most accomplished and genuinely terrifying experiences I've had in music. Perfectly conceived, and conducted. The production on "n0n" is absolutely outstanding for that style of pitch black industrial metal.

Stay with this longer than just the opening riff, crank the volume to max, and immerse in it:

In this country we'll claim anything from NZ that is successful so the guys from Alien Weaponry are obviously an Aussie band by now, but it's good to see we still have some connections to NZ. I suspect anything heavier than the Wiggles would get the same crowd reaction at something like the ARIA awards as AW were getting throughout their song played here. No idea if they were up for any awards but they were obviously invited there for a reason, I'm just not sure the people at the tables knew what that reason was. The applause at the end really does sound like a canned audience.

yeah they're good. A bit too formulaic for me. I remember even writing to them praising how they're one of the only tech-death bands who really write songs, rather than just string a bunch of technical bits together. They replied they thought so too..

The Amenta. Mind blown back when I discovered them. Leaving the musical allure aside, if you get into the lyrics as well, the whole nihilistic feel of the album... it's one of the most accomplished and genuinely terrifying experiences I've had in music. Perfectly conceived, and conducted. The production on "n0n" is absolutely outstanding for that style of pitch black industrial metal.

Stay with this longer than just the opening riff, crank the volume to max, and immerse in it:

When I saw them live they played "Slave" and the vocalist walked down into the crowd and was running around randomly attacking people, it was pretty fucking entertaining. I might have to spend a day catching up with their material again. Cheers.

When I saw them live they played "Slave" and the vocalist walked down into the crowd and was running around randomly attacking people, it was pretty fucking entertaining. I might have to spend a day catching up with their material again. Cheers.
lol. not surprising..
eh well they are one of these artsy fartsy bands that think they're iconoclasts and have to prove to everyone they're weird and different...

The lyrics aren't always edgy though. The chorus in Slave goes:
"A soul
Sold on a ballot paper,
Is a slave
Driven by indolence."

It may come off as quite ordinary, but in context with the rest of the words, and music... it's quite profound.

This probably isn't heavy enough for a lot of people here but I don't mind what I've heard of this album so far.

44766303_1991621710884287_25576521657745408_n.jpg

I was thinking about my top 10 Aussie albums for this year last night and although I know some wont be good enough to make the list I think there is about 20 albums that could potentially make the list.

I still have one or two to listen to before making the list but I'll definitely get around to it in the next few weeks, or maybe a few more.

Reactions: CiG
animated-australia-flag-image-0028.gif

Top 10 Australian Albums of 2018:

1. Rawhead - Spineless Pigs
2. Road Warrior - Power
3. The Stuntcox - Diggin' Up Our Roots
4. Tyrannic - Ethereal Sepulchre
5. Solemn Ceremony - Solemn Ceremony
6. Convent Guilt - Diamond Cut Diamond
7. Black Majesty - Children of the Abyss
8. Nocturnal Graves - Titan (their best album yet IMO)
9. Mongrel's Cross - Psalter of the Royal Dragon Court
10. Psycroptic - As the Kingdom Drowns

HM:

Black Magick SS - Spectral Ecstasy
Cemetery Urn - Barbaric Retribution

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
Not that I don’t think BMSS is probably better than all of that stuff but I’m hoping Mongrels Cross and Solemn Ceremony are both good. I’ve got those on the way to me now. I also need that Road Warrior and Covent Guilt bit I haven’t found them stateside yet.

Road Warrior is a PITA to get anywhere unless you listen to it on their bandcamp page, it's either massively overpriced or it's out of stock. Convent Guilt, having listened to it again since it came out, might not even make my top 10. It's not as good as the first and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a real fan.