Church of Australian Metal

Zoot were huge here in the 70's. Spawned the careers of Daryl Cotten, Beeb Birtles and Rick Springfield who America feel in love with in the 80's

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
They only really did three albums from memory. There was a live and a reunion cd from memory in the 00's but only three releases from the original band.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
A quick rundown of the Aussie shit I've been enjoying from this year so far:

Quite decent Scandinavian style black metal, especially reminds me of perhaps Immortal? Something like that, kind of icy and battle-esque.

Utterly crushing and filthy mixture of doom, death and black metal but mostly heavy on the blasting death metal style with doomy passages. Big fan of this demo and especially like the drumming.

Slicing black/thrash in the old Aussie tradition. 7 years after their last release and they unleash this album on the scene, pretty fucking cool. Mixing is a bit weird but whatever.

Without Phil Howlett I'm not sure where the Aussie doom metal scene would be right now, it seems to have really dried up since Will from The Wizar'd/Tarot went inactive (along with his label Heavy Chains Records). Solemn Ceremony are picking up the slack and then some. True fucking DOOM.

Gory, swampy death metal with doomy passages from the guys behind bands like Golgothan Remains, Backyard Mortuary, Illimitable Dolor, The Slow Death etc.

Killer death metal in the vein of the nebulous proto-brutal death metal sound that was developing in the 1990's, from the guys behind bands like Rort, Sewercide and the new Gutless. Totally sick shit, their debut demo was one of the best things released in the 2010's. Iffy on the artwork personally, kinda sucks but whatever. In the end the music is all that counts obviously.

Crazy good thrash/doom. This shit reeks with the vibes of an obscure 80's band that was too weird to live. This new EP feels pretty different to me from their previous shit though, it reeks just a bit more than usual, they went ultra necro this time around.

Pretty archaic sounding black metal, has a real stink to it. Like a big soup made up of 80's metal and Greek weirdness.

This reminds me of a mixture of Morbid Angel and Incantation or something. Ultra brutal vocals, very thick and gory, but the riffs are more intelligent and even approach more technical styles of death metal. Pretty interesting and totally unknown band, with a bizarre name to boot.

Last edited:
Yeah the line-up was unstable as fuck way before the second album was done, I remember on Facebook they were basically hinting at breaking up right after the debut. Unstable line-ups can really fuck with the music I guess.

Are you familiar with Lucifer's Fall?