CIRCUS MAXIMUS: Havoc

First spin of the new Redemption inspired at least 7 verbal "holy shit" moments.

First spin of Havoc had several verbal "WTF is this shit" moments.

Perspective.

I hope this album finds a large audience, but I will not be among them.

Reactions: Mardoch
I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone who heard the song "Reach Within" on Nine would be surprised by how Havoc sounds. I thought Nine was a clear indicator of where this band is going with their sound. And that is away from the Symphony X worship that was their first album, and more toward a melodic rock approach to prog metal.

Exactly, the last album was totally a huge departure away from the prog towards something far more commercial sounding. Of all the bands I thought that could pull it off was Circus Maximus.

Also, I wonder what role their label has played in their artistic direction. I mean they are on Frontiers after all, whose roster definitely does not favor the progressive metal fans.

Aside from that Havoc is an awesome record. Catchy as hell with plenty of hooks to keep me coming back.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone who heard the song "Reach Within" on Nine would be surprised by how Havoc sounds. I thought Nine was a clear indicator of where this band is going with their sound.

But to me it is not about style, it is about quality. I don't mind that Havoc is slower, I mind that the songs are not as good. To me only Highest Bitter and After the Fire would have made the cut for Nine.

I have come to enjoy the album mostly, I think the biggest problem is that they released a "pretty good" album after releasing a couple of amazing albums. Plus after Nine they seemed poise to really take a step up to the next level.

Reactions: Kez
I think you're right that following nine hurts havoc in the eyes of many fans.

My initial reaction was well here's the b sides from nine. It's just a good album but not phenomenal.

I will admit, I am one of those people who just doesn't like too radical a change in direction for a band that I love. I realize that a band has the creative freedom to morph from progressive metalcore to Yanni if they want to. It's their band after all. They just don't have a right to be shocked if they alienate a pretty good segment of their core fanbase in doing so.

Bear with me. I'm old. But I still remember the reaction to Jefferson Airplane/Starship when they released 'We Built This City'. From 'Somebody To Love' to 'We Built This City'. Not that 'We Built This City' is such a horrible song mind you. But there is a vast gulf between the two. My generation experienced a gigantic collective headscratch moment.

I remember "We Built This City". My reaction at the time was "this sounds like a commercial". I hated it.
Havoc seems like "easy listening prog" to me. Elevator music. I'm sure it will be much better live.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone who heard the song "Reach Within" on Nine would be surprised by how Havoc sounds. I thought Nine was a clear indicator of where this band is going with their sound. And that is away from the Symphony X worship that was their first album, and more toward a melodic rock approach to prog metal.

Bingo. I loved the direction they took with Nine and am really enjoying Havoc. If it's more melodic metal than prog, so be it.

The First Chapter was one of those CDs that kicked me in the butt right out of the gate - I have no idea how many times I hit the “back” button to listen to “Sin” over and over and over again.

Isolate took a little more time to grow on me - but I really love that disc now.

I was lukewarm on Nine, although I thought it did have a couple of interesting moments that made me remember why I fell in love with the band.

After 3 listens, I just can’t get into Havoc. And it causes me great pain to say that, as CM was responsible for bringing me into the ProgPower fold. (Their only U.S. date in 2006 was at the PPUSA kickoff, so I booked a cross-country flight to see them — and figured I might as well stick around for the rest of the festivities).

The funny thing is that if I was listening to this CD and had never heard of CM, I would think it was a decent disc. But the first two albums set the bar so high that anything less that “stellar” is somewhat of a letdown.

Maybe it's just the non-conformist in me, but I'm quite enjoying Havoc now. Is it the exact collection of songs I would have chosen for their next release? Perhaps not, but with each listen I'm finding more and more to grab onto. I hope some that have written it off already will go back and find more to enjoy, as well.

But I still hope they pull out some old tunes in Atlanta!!

[QUOTE="Kez, post: 11167613, member: 3971" I hope some that have written it off already will go back and find more to enjoy, as well. [/QUOTE]

This is kinda where I'm at with this release. It isn't what I had hoped for a new Circus Maximus, but it is listenable and in certain sections, mildly entertaining. The set list in Atlanta ought to be interesting.

Reactions: Kez
From the ProgPower USA Facebook page:

"CIRCUS MAXIMUS ANNOUNCES SELECT NORTH AMERICAN DATES

Circus Maximus will be doing select North American dates prior to their return to ProgPower USA this September. The worldwide-renowned melodic metal band will be joined by Detroit’s rising stars Imminent Sonic Destruction as special guests. Rounding up the lineup is Canadian newcomers Ascendia.

South American fans need not worry - dates for Chile, Mexico and Brazil will be announced later this week.

Tickets will be available this week and links will be posted soon on Circus Maximus and Infinity Concerts pages.

CIRCUS MAXIMUS, IMMINENT SONIC DESTRUCTION, ASCENDIA dates:

Sep 2 - Chicago, IL - Reggies
Sep 3 - Toronto, ON - Hard Luck Bar
Sep 4 - Montreal, QC - Cafe Campus
Sep 5 - New York, NY - Studio at Webster Hall
Sep 8 - Atlanta, GA - ProgPower USA Festival*
*Circus Maximus Only"

Reactions: eppst1