CIRCUS MAXIMUS: Havoc

I don't know what the market trends are like in Europe but in US here , it seems only the more extreme new prog metal bands are successful in breaking into next level , such as playing larger venues. I am talking bands like tesseract, periphery, scale the summit, animals as leaders and the bazillion similar bands they tour with. I can't think of more melodic Circus Maximum like bands that had similar success lately. Might be a different situation in Europe though, which is probably their biggest market.

That's something I always wondered about prog metal bands that try out a more commercial sound. Obviously they're never going to get radio play, but do they at least get a bump in sales or popularity? It feels like when this happens they either disappear or try to recapture the old sound.

After 4 spins...this cd is growing on me. Some very high moments on it. Definitely helps to listen to the cd straight through. I didn't care much for the tracks when they were released individually. It did though lower my expectations as Nine IMO was killer. I've seen all their set at PP....and can't to see them again later this year.

Reactions: NorseBlood
Seriously in love with the track "Remember". Such a glorious song. And the video is kind of cheesy, but goes along well with the theme.

I love the song. The lyrics are moving and uplifting, a big advantage that comes along with the happier-sounding musical direction (even though CM's lyrics have always been of very high quality), and the ending of the song is absolutely stunning. If we get this on stage this year, I'm going to lose it at the end.

Seriously in love with the track "Remember". Such a glorious song. And the video is kind of cheesy, but goes along well with the theme.

This song is makes me want to get violent in not in a good way, its literally making me angry and I have no idea why,probably because I just dont like it. I can say this, as opposed to Sin, which makes me happy and I love the first 3 albums. What happened,whats going on here..Things that make you go hmmmmmm and wtf

Bear

Reactions: Imagikafan
I don't know what the market trends are like in Europe but in US here , it seems only the more extreme new prog metal bands are successful in breaking into next level , such as playing larger venues. I am talking bands like tesseract, periphery, scale the summit, animals as leaders and the bazillion similar bands they tour with. I can't think of more melodic Circus Maximum like bands that had similar success lately.

In other words, if it's not screaming, it won't cut it with the kiddies?

I don't know what the market trends are like in Europe but in US here , it seems only the more extreme new prog metal bands are successful in breaking into next level , such as playing larger venues. I am talking bands like tesseract, periphery, scale the summit, animals as leaders and the bazillion similar bands they tour with. I can't think of more melodic Circus Maximum like bands that had similar success lately. Might be a different situation in Europe though, which is probably their biggest market.

Those bands you mentioned, how on earth are they extreme? wtf

After 4 listens I'm hooked on it. "After the Fire", "Loved Ones" and "Chivalry" are great tracks. Easily one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone who heard the song "Reach Within" on Nine would be surprised by how Havoc sounds. I thought Nine was a clear indicator of where this band is going with their sound. And that is away from the Symphony X worship that was their first album, and more toward a melodic rock approach to prog metal.

Reactions: Kez
I think that the musical style leap from Nine to Havoc is much farther than from Isolate to Nine... and I say this as a fan who loved the last two albums and I still play them on a regular rotation.

I've tried listening to Havoc several times and it's just not happening. Sounds too much like an adult contemporary styled rerecord of Nine for me.

I think that the musical style leap from Nine to Havoc is much farther than from Isolate to Nine... and I say this as a fan who loved the last two albums and I still play them on a regular rotation.

I've tried listening to Havoc several times and it's just not happening. Sounds too much like an adult contemporary styled rerecord of Nine for me.

So I am so there too. I have tried to listen many times so far and I cannot get through it and I freaking love the first 3 albums. I literally had to put on Teramaze - Her Halo to snap me out of the funk the album got me into....

Last edited: