CIRCUS MAXIMUS: Havoc

Disney pop...:bah:

I agree, oh how the mighty have fallen. Disney pop is right! I thought I'd watch "Remember" thinking that maybe they had something left in the tank in spite of the other songs sounding horrible. And OMG, this one is worse! The video has to be one of the worst cliche mtv style videos I've ever seen........Wow, what happened guys?????

Reactions: Imagikafan
Kudos to Circus Maximus for progressing their sound, and making what sounds like it could be a different-sounding album. I'm going to give this disc the time it deserves. I, for one, think this has some potential to grow on me.

Kudos to Circus Maximus for progressing their sound, and making what sounds like it could be a different-sounding album. I'm going to give this disc the time it deserves. I, for one, think this has some potential to grow on me.

Hmmm progressing? I love the guys but from what I have heard so far is anything but progression, my opinion. Definitely different sounding, very prog rock lite to my ears. That being said I am still very excited to see CM play live at Prog Power, they are amazing live and will rock the house.

Bear

It is not really about progressing, not-progressing, heavier, softer etc, I just don't think the song writing is up to what they have shown on their last 2 albums. Also I am baffled by the songs they are releasing, Havoc and Remember are probably the two of the weakest tracks on the album. The reason why they have no released Highest Bitter, which is a great song, just baffles me.

I have to say that some of the songs are growing on me and I am liking it more. But there are just too many problems to think this will ever come close to Nine or Isolate

Reactions: ToddS
It is not really about progressing, not-progressing, heavier, softer etc, I just don't think the song writing is up to what they have shown on their last 2 albums. Also I am baffled by the songs they are releasing, Havoc and Remember are probably the two of the weakest tracks on the album. The reason why they have no released Highest Bitter, which is a great song, just baffles me.

I have to say that some of the songs are growing on me and I am liking it more. But there are just too many problems to think this will ever come close to Nine or Isolate

and I'm the last one who would ever question anyone who likes the album. I understand that everyone has different tastes. But like someone else said on another board, they are making a run for the mainstream/radio to try and make it big. So maybe times are hard for them. The music biz is tough out there, but they know they have families to support so they are attempting their shot at mainstream/safe songs and what mainstream fans are more after.

Thanks, but I think this my stop. I gotta get off of this bus now.

I'm disappointed

Yeah, I cracked. I just placed my order at Lasers Edge. It won't compare to "Nine", which I thought was brilliant, but it is Circus Maximus and they truly haven't had any mis-steps yet. I did hear one song that was pretty damn good, so I'm hoping that the other 4 or 5 I haven't heard are of the same quality.

Now if I could just get that Marilyn Manson-type riff out of my head I might not be approaching this with fear...

Picked up the "Havoc Deluxe" version today. Deluxe version has some live tracks at the end. Listening to it now. So far I like it. Definitely proggy, and my tastes tend to lie more on the power side of the spectrum. I'm really looking forward to seeing them at PP this year.

I've listened to it once so far. Highest Bidder is easily the best song and even that's not up to scratch with the stuff from the 1st 2 albums. I'll need to give it a couple more listens but so far it's pretty boring.

It has its good points, but it's not a winner by any means. I get more mileage out of Myrath's new album than I do this one. I have only given this one a single listen, but it doesn't grab me like 1st Chapter or Isolate did. I liked Nine better than this one.

Hoping they kick it up a notch when they play these songs live in a few months. :)

This album was not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be. Yes it is slightly more commercial sounding than previous efforts, but still enjoyable to listen.

I agree with the disappointment. The songs are just not there anymore. There are some great moments, like the chorus of Loved Ones, but I am really struggling to find reasons to revisit the rest. The complexity of melodies and instrumentation has definitely been turned down. It's too bad, because they really did it so seamlessly on the last disc. I doubt this will make them any more successful in the mainstream. They would need stronger hooks for that .

I doubt this will make them any more successful in the mainstream. They would need stronger hooks for that .

True. It's not poppy enough to get mainstream radio play and it's not proggy enough to make their established fanbase happy. This album is not going to do good things for their career I think.

I find myself enjoying CD2 of the "Havoc Deluxe" album better than the new material on CD1. Its all live older material with the following tracks: Forging, Namaste, The One, Arrival of Love, Abyss, Alive, Game of Life, Last Goodbye

Havoc isn't bad by any stretch, but its clearly not their best effort. Still, I'm glad I bought it. Perhaps it will grow on me more in the next few weeks.

True. It's not poppy enough to get mainstream radio play and it's not proggy enough to make their established fanbase happy. This album is not going to do good things for their career I think.

That's something I always wondered about prog metal bands that try out a more commercial sound. Obviously they're never going to get radio play, but do they at least get a bump in sales or popularity? It feels like when this happens they either disappear or try to recapture the old sound.