Classic Albums - Number of the Beast

rabies

Proud IMG Guitarist!
Apr 16, 2001
Maryland USA
Visit site
Have you guys seen these 'Classic Album' DVDs yet? I just got, and subsequently finished watching the Number of the Beast DVD. It was pretty neat. All about the band during that timeframe, what was going on, etc. They had Martin Burch in the studio at the mixing board isolating tracks, interview with all the band members, Adrian playing some of the songs. If you got the spare cash, it was a pretty good way to spend 80 minutes.

They have several other Classic Album series...like Metallica, Judas Priest's British Steel, etc. No more for Iron Maiden though.

Check it out if you got the time.

Yea, I just got that one myself. It's definitely worth it!

I didn't care too much for Adrian's guitar bits though. I thought it was a little hokey, and not really anything special. It would've been nice if they could've come up with something a bit more interesting for that.

Hi EC.

I just watched the 'bonus material' last night... I was not sure what you were refering to the first time about Adrian's 'hokey' guitar bits. I have to say I slightly disagree with you. It was kinda lame..they could have at least had it a bit more instructional or something... but as a guitar player, it was great to be able to watch what he was doing. It opened my eyes when I watched his picking pattern on the number of the beast. I learned the entire song using down picking throughout the song. That song alone really helped improve my picking speed (its quite tough to down pick the entire song). I watch Adrian play, and realize he is 'cheating'! Imagine my surprise! I immediately picked up my guitar and tried playing it the 'correct' way..and found it felt very wierd/un-natural.

So anyway, I guess my point is that at least one person on this planet got something out of those clips. I am sure if it was Steve playing the songs on bass, you would have been much more interested. ;)

Yea, I see your point in that respect Rabs. I suppose it would be more interesting from a guitar player's technique point of view.

I guess just watching it with general interest as a fan, it just felt to me like something thrown together. Almost like while they were filming someone said, "Hey Adrian, there's a guitar and practice amp setup over here, play something and we'll film it!", ya know, without much forethought.

If that were Harris playing, it'd be hard to pick up on his picking technique because his picking fingers are usually too much of a blur! :lol: