classic death metal: Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth

Aug 14, 2002
Visit site
I dont remember the first time i heard this record... it was at least 2 years ago... however i do remember me deffinatly not liking it and what i came to realise later why i didnt like it is because i didnt understand it.

now about 2 months after i finnaly picked up a copy of the album i think i really grasp the depth of this album (and it actuly is a deep album in its own way)
just as nile has the depth of Their Darkened Shrines... theres alot of meaning behind these songs, albiet horrible meanings.

And musicly once you get past the frenzie you can begin to apreaciate the different take cc has on death metal.

Cannibal Corpse may be a name that turns most metal fans off... even death metal fans... but ignore for a second the post bleeding era records cc have made that were all basicly the same sort of record repeated 4 times.... and look soly at this album Butchered At Birth

so what is this album? lets dissect it

the cover art is the first thing that strikes most people, a horredly grotesque depcition of babies strewn acrost hooks that are torn from rotting mother carcasses that 2 zombie butchers seem to be stabbing...
whats it all mean? its a sensory overload... the gore itself does have meaning (obveously there zombies destroying humans and human offspring, wich 3 of the songs on here talk about) but more then that it mixes fantasy and factualality in the way the violence is depected (as shown in the linernotes making referance to factual acounts dating back to the 1700's of baby mutilations, cannibalism, and acts of necrophelia) sick stuff... but then... this is stuff mankind has done... something people esily forget

The album opens with a memerable song, Meat Hook Sodomy, and this song even opens in a intresting way, something like a sea of downturned grinding gutars over barns vocals played backwards, paul really shines on this track doing some very intresting drum breakdowns if you listen cairfully you can hear him do a scale with his drumms its quite impressive

the second track continues the brutality with Gutted, a catchy vicous song about destroying cooking and eating children.

The Third Track sends the album into its core depths passing beyond the relm of human evils and into the relms of evils passed on through thoughs not even living.... its something of a tale of if doctor frankenstien really had this power... why wouldnt he do it to himself... also illudes to some necromancy (if your astute to the lyrics) a deffinate favorite of mine on this album

the 4th song Under The Rotted Flesh is a nice diatribe about different views on life and death set musicly to a changing tempo and a wide number of riffs and solos

the 5th song Covered With Sores tells of a cursed man who learns to controll his curse to curse others to do his horribly blood-scabed bidding in a spudo undead cycle of evil, all set to a catchy opening riff that quickly turns to a frienzy bludgening of speed death

the 6th track another favorite of mine features glen's perfect addition to cc' (much better then his work on eaten back to life) every time ihear "blessed by the devil..." its chilling not to mention the lyrics are most enjoyable talking about zombies destroying the earth

the 7'th song given the album name... has some really frienzied riffs and has the great lines that allways make me chuckle "ejactulation over mutilation, zombification"

the 8th rancid amputation has a great breakdown where chris proclames that his only skills in life are "ripping the flesh... (its what i do best) ' and a very cool solo

the last song Innards Decay is another favorite of mine and has an intresting take on a ed geims something of taking over peoples flesh and living inside there rotting bodies... the song has some great solos and a great way to end the brutal album

i would give this album a 9.8 its probably only flaw lies in the mood of the album gives it a inaccessablity to all occations (obveously) but i think that people can enjoy this album alot more then they think they would.

and for my take on the album... i have to wonder...
We like to look at areselvs as civilezed, however when horrible things happen, people often turn on anyone for there own survival.... even there own offspring.... when it comes down to it i think in a way all humanity is butchered at birth.

-Necro

I agree, a classic in it's genre and one of CC's best (which, IMO, are Bleeding and this. Tomb was killed by the constipated vocal production.) High moments: the firts roar and chorus in Vomit the Soul, the breakdown in Rancid Amputation, the solo in Innards Decay, most all of Meathook Sodomy.

CC is way overated by the hardcore death metal fans as well as it has sick retarded lyrics , not that it is offensive , just dosent bring anything.

Yes, I can at least listen to 10 seconds of new CC before turning it off in disgust.

It takes only a half a second of older CC before I start pissing everywhere, hoping to hit the stereo or radio, frying the sound and inadvertently electrocuting the listener who put it on. :Spin:

SculptedCold said:
The Bleeding is overrated boring crap, and Tomb of the Mutilated ain't far behind it.
BUt....Hammer Smashed Face....Necropedophile....I Cum Blood....Post Mortal Ejaculation....Tomb just has so many great tracks. HSF is a fucking classic.

Rottuated said:
BUt....Hammer Smashed Face....Necropedophile....I Cum Blood....Post Mortal Ejaculation....Tomb just has so many great tracks. HSF is a fucking classic.

Agree 100%

Cannibal is about the ONLY death metal band I listen to. They rule, they defined the genre, and they give their very best at every show. I would rank their albums like this...

#1 Tomb
#2 Gore Obsessed
#3 Bleeding
#4 Wretched
#5 Vile
#6 Bloodthirst
#7 Butchered
#8 Gallery