Classical Music

Astral_Dominion said:
Every single metalhead should listen Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. That's the ultimate metal record of all times.

It has only a few good tracks in my opinion. O Fortuna is THE song but most of them are quiet boring.

What I also really like in classical music is this Norwegian Edvard Grieg, he's a god! :) Get his "Peer Gynt Suite". If his name does not mean anything to you, I'm sure you know at least "Morning Mood"(Morgenstemning) and "In the Hall of the Mountain King"(I Dovregubbens Hall). "Anitra's Dance"(Anitras Dans) is also very popular.

bonfire89 said:
Im looking for some classical music.

The type/mood/feeling like with the Lord of the rings sound track...

From my bleak memories of this music I think you would like Jean Sibelius. Give his symphonies #1 and #7 a shot as well as his violin concerto.

Overall some great classical works to check out would be...

Beethoven- Sym 3, 6, 7 SQs 12, 14 & 15
Mahler- Sym 1 & 3
Shostakovich- Sym 4, 5, 10 SQs 3, 5 & 11
Stravinsky- The Rite of Spring
Brahms- Violin Concerto
Bach- The Art of Fugue
and the Sibelius works I mentioned...

Theres still so much I haven't heard... including the majority of works by these, my favorite composers...

crimsonfloyd said:
From my bleak memories of this music I think you would like Jean Sibelius. Give his symphonies #1 and #7 a shot as well as his violin concerto.

Overall some great classical works to check out would be...

Beethoven- Sym 3, 6, 7 SQs 12, 14 & 15
Mahler- Sym 1 & 3
Shostakovich- Sym 4, 5, 10 SQs 3, 5 & 11
Stravinsky- The Rite of Spring
Brahms- Violin Concerto
Bach- The Art of Fugue
and the Sibelius works I mentioned...

Theres still so much I haven't heard... including the majority of works by these, my favorite composers...

You definitely need to hear more Mahler symphonies...and I would have included the 5th, personally. It goes great with the 6th (back to back, I mean)

And more Bach.

Thidrek said:
It has only a few good tracks in my opinion. O Fortuna is THE song but most of them are quiet boring.

What I also really like in classical music is this Norwegian Edvard Grieg, he's a god! :) Get his "Peer Gynt Suite". If his name does not mean anything to you, I'm sure you know at least "Morning Mood"(Morgenstemning) and "In the Hall of the Mountain King"(I Dovregubbens Hall). "Anitra's Dance"(Anitras Dans) is also very popular.

I think you should get the Panorama on Deutsche Grammophone for Grieg. Great intro disc..they sell it for $16 and it's a set of two CDs...has the Peer Gynt Suites 1 & 2, his Piano concerto, some of his "lyrical" pieces, etc. Great introduction to his work.

The Devil's Steed said:
You definitely need to hear more Mahler symphonies...and I would have included the 5th, personally. It goes great with the 6th (back to back, I mean)

And more Bach.

I've only heard 1-5 of Mahler's symphonies, though I'm thinking of buying Boulez's performence of 6 tomorrow. I have a feeling the reason #5 hasn't clicked with me yet is cuz I have a medicore recording, Abaddo's live version. After reading up on Mahler's intentions for this symphony, it seems like Abaddo's really failing to destinctify the movments/parts. Do you know of a good recording of this symphony I should look into?

The Devil's Steed said:
I think you should get the Panorama on Deutsche Grammophone for Grieg. Great intro disc..they sell it for $16 and it's a set of two CDs...has the Peer Gynt Suites 1 & 2, his Piano concerto, some of his "lyrical" pieces, etc. Great introduction to his work.

That's a nice tip! Unfortunately it costs about 18€ in Germany... :/ But that is still not too expensive in my opinion.
(I wonder why there isn't a German website of Deutsche Grammophon o_O)

crimsonfloyd said:
I've only heard 1-5 of Mahler's symphonies, though I'm thinking of buying Boulez's performence of 6 tomorrow. I have a feeling the reason #5 hasn't clicked with me yet is cuz I have a medicore recording, Abaddo's live version. After reading up on Mahler's intentions for this symphony, it seems like Abaddo's really failing to destinctify the movments/parts. Do you know of a good recording of this symphony I should look into?

Hm....

Bernstein generally does a good job on the Mahler symphonies although he's not without his flaws. I don't believe I've heard his fifth yet, so I can't reccomend any particular recordings on it. I suggest doing a search on Amazon in the classical power search then reading some reviews for the highest rated versions. That will generally help you find a pretty good performance. And....a word of warning, when you get to the 7th...be prepared for something bizarre. Many people feel it's his weakest symphony, but I think it's simply under-rated and misunderstood. I need a good recording of it, though. Or rather, I need to check on the quality of my downloaded recording with some other people to see if there's a better version out there or if I'm hearing it the way it should be heard. (I have Solti's version)

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Mahler/index.html

I'm finding this site to be very helpful in my search for good Mahler recordings. Bought the 6th today, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I am very much looking forward to it. And yeah I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the 7th, which actually makes me look forward to it, just out of sheer curioisty of what has everyone so riled up...

Mahler and Bernstein are garbage for sops.

I recommend Beethoven and Karajan, Chopin by a good piano soloist, Brahms by Eschenbach or Haydn by Graf.

Korsrol said:
Check out some stuff by Henryk Gorecki, some good pieces under his name :)

Agreed... in particular, "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs".

A really melancholic masterpiece.

Also of worth mentioning, any "pieces de Viol" by Marin Marais.