Classics Reborn

Record company off course! They said they thought it was gonna sound like Metallica and were really let down when they heard it.

Yeah that makes sense. I think the producer and engineer failed if was supposed to sound like Metallica. But I think the label failed more by saying they wanted it to sound like Metallica. It sucks when labels have that kind of control, they could just as easily hire session musos to make a Metallica clone rather than push another band into the mould.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Edit: I remember them saying Alex Parialas did a really shitty job. His excuse was that he was brand new to digital. Kelly was pissed for years and ended up apologizing a few years ago. I was like why? He did a shit job and if he didn't know how to use digital he shouldn't have done it. Also Alex was a fairly shitty mixer/producer regardless.

It's no wonder bands choose people like Sneap, Burns etc constantly. Plenty of people complain but there is little denying that some guys just know their stuff even if they don't make every album perfect.

It's no wonder bands choose people like Sneap, Burns etc constantly. Plenty of people complain but there is little denying that some guys just know their stuff even if they don't make every album perfect.
Absolutely. And I think it's easier now that bands have more say. Whereas back in the day the label told them who they were going to use.
It was like, it's our way or the highway.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I suppose when you've sold that magical figure (whatever it is) you can start ordering a bit more from the label. The downside is that while it costs upwards of $50K for the recording/producing process there aren't too many bands who can afford to do it themselves. Even just handling the recording themselves and using a label to distribute isn't always cost effective for a band. I suppose if I owned a label and was putting up $50K against future sales I'd want a bit of say in what goes on too.

I'd still make them do it my way if it was my money. I'd never leave the studio. I'd make them work, write and refine until I was happy. I'd have their fingers bleeding before they stopped. It would be the best album ever...well in my opinion and that's all that would count if it was my money!

So all bands that want me to produce line up at the door!

Damn I wish I'd followed my heart when I was 18 and gone off to do the audio engineering course. I was about $25K short for the course and probably $50K short for the studio had I finished the course, but I'd have loved to spend my years twiddling knobs and making noises!!

I did a few short audio engineering courses, they pretty much got me into the game early on, but they were only basic and there was no actual qualification. So instead when I turned 21 I spent $10K starting a business, did that for a little while and spent $20K becoming Microsoft qualified. I still don't know that I chose the right path :)